Urban Rider - 32MB?

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One & Rider 2
TomTom's specification for the Urban Rider states
Memory
CPU 380 MHz
Memory size 32MB RAM

32MB seeems incredibly small! Can anyone who's got one comment with regard to the ability to upgrade the maps and software, add custom POIs, voices etc.?

The manual also states you have to have at least 5MB free to use the facility to record your route.

It's missing a powered mount (thanks, rcacs) the Scala headset. It doesn't have an expansion slot.

It sounds a massive step backwards. What am I missing?

Last edited:
Don't confuse memory size with STORAGE size. It's like your computer. You may have, say, 2 gigs of memory but your hard drive (storage) may be 100 gigs.

I hope you're correct, but in that case what is the storage of the device? As it doesn't have a card slot, there's no external storage. The specs (below) from the TomTom website don't seem to say, which seems odd.

Technical specs
GPS GPS Receiver Integrated GPS receiver with 20 Channel all-in-view tracking

Memory
CPU 380 MHz
Memory size 32MB RAM

Screen Screen size 9cm (3.5 inch), 320 x 240 TFT colour LCD touchscreen

Battery
Battery Life Internal rechargeable Li-Ion giving approx. 8 hours
Alternative power source 12V motorbike battery

Size & weight
Weight 310 grams
Size 113,2mm x 96,2mm x 52,9mm
Other Operating Temp. -10 to 55 degrees C
Other Waterproof (IPX7) - protects against any wet-weather conditions

Connectivity
USB
USB port and USB cable 2.0 for PC connection

Mounting
RAM mounting kit
fits nearly all bikes

Compatibility
Helmet compatibility
Supports leading Bluetooth?-enabled helmets

Yes, I should have pointed out what dhn says in regards to memory.

As far as the Scala headest goes, you can buy the Urban with or without the headset.

This is a good thing actually, as not everyone wants the headset, or like myself use a different headset, i.e., the Scala Q2 multiset (which works very well actually).

In doing some additional snooping, it would seem the internal flash holds 2GB. In order to change maps, you need to remove the current map and install any new ones. This is why you would want to save your maps using Explorer. The European map has 45 countries and comes standard on the Rider Pro Europe and includes the headset, the Urban Rider Europe has the same map but no headset and then there is the Urban Rider Regional which has a regional map and no headset.

Personally, if you can find a good buy on a Rider2, go for it. There are loads of brand new ones on EBay. They come with everything you need, the Rider, the powered dock, wiring for your bike and a RAM mount.

You dont say where you are, so you may need to either purchase a new map for your location, or see if your map can be acquired using the "guarenteed latest map" feature that comes with all TT's.

Cheers

ps: this is a good time to add your location to your sig line.

Thanks again, rcacs. It was the 2GB information that I hadn't been able to find. I am prowling eBay for either a V2 or an Urban regional. I guess my preference is for a V2, as I like the idea of the storage card slot as per my old car TomTom. I need it with UK maps. The lack of a headset isn't an issue as I use a bluetooth headset already for my phone, but I'd need a powered RAM mount.

Cheers, J.

Ask a Question