updating device fails

[solved]updating device fails

Just bought a new tomtom 550xxl. I updated the software on the computer to tomtom home 2 but when I try to update the usa-canada-mexico map I get:

ERROR: Internal/AssertFail: Code bug: We're sorry but an error has occurred during the use of HOME on your computer. Please contact Customer Support.
item using Durham encryption scheme expected
Severity: 1105
Stack:
0. function assert chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:473
throw new Bug(errorStr, "Internal/AssertFail" + (id ? "/" + id : ""));
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/ttNavItem.js:754
assert(this._drm && this._drmScheme == "durham", "item using Durham encryption scheme expected")
2. chrome://tthome/content/ui/subtask/installSelectSome/installSelectSome.js:676
let copiedItem = localItem.createCopyWithDurhamCertificate(certificateFile);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/downloader.js:424
this.finalizeDownload());
5. chrome://tthome/content/logic/downloader.js:396
this._finishedSuccessfully();

Time: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 02:47:42 GMT

Not sure what's going on. Have winXP. Disappointing. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Rename the folder My Documents\TomTom\HOME\download to My Documents\TomTom\HOME\downloadOLD

That will "hide" what may be a partially loaded map from Home.

Then try to download the map again.

IF you are successful, go ahead and delete the folder you created called downloadOLD.

Thanks for your reply canderson. I tried doing what you suggested but now there seems to be another problem. When downloading a new maps it just times out. I see the status indicator get to about half way and then it just stays there and I get the time out message after awhile. This is difficult.

Thanks for your reply canderson. I tried doing what you suggested but now there seems to be another problem. When downloading a new maps it just times out. I see the status indicator get to about half way and then it just stays there and I get the time out message after awhile. This is difficult.
Well that's certainly not friendly...

Are you using a hard-wired or wireless connection when you try to download the map? Although I admit to having no problems using a wireless connection for updates on the few times I've needed to do so, there have been a number of people who have run into problems with it. There's no inherent reason that this should be so -- it just seems to happen.

OK it actually finished downloading on the 4th try however there in another problem. I get an error that says the .zip file is invalid. Perhaps I'll delete it and try downloading again?

these are the details:

ERROR: DesktopLib/InstallToDevice/GetInstallable/InvalidArchive1: This file is invalid (archive file): C:\Documents and Settings\steve\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\map\USA__Canada___Mexico\USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P.zip
@ .\framework\InstallToDeviceThread.cpp(1005)
<HOME2 version="2.7">
<map version="860" idnum="1402221" idstr="USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P" idurl="http://id.tomtom.com/map/usa_canada_and_mexico_p/high-level-u-no-asr">
<title mimetype="text/plain" lang="en-US">USA, Canada &amp; Mexico</title>
<description mimetype="text/plain" lang="en-US">Detailed map seamlessly covering the USA, Canada and Mexico.
Map coverage statistics:
- Countires fully covered (99.9%): the US (all states, including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada (all provinces) and Puerto Rico.
- Countries partially covered: Mexico - 41.5% of the street network with detailed coverage of 66 cities including Mexico City and Guadalajara
- connector roads: also includes connected network of major roads that allows you seamless navigation throughout Mexico
- roads covered: over 7.4 million miles
- Points of Interest: over 7 million POI's
- This map release contains over 1750 miles of additional coverage added in Canada</description>
<image url="http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/860/high-level-u-no-asr/ICON/USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P-IQR.gif" usage="icon" mimetype="image/gif"/>
<image url="http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/860/high-level-u-no-asr/PREVIEW/USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P-IQR.gif" usage="preview" mimetype="image/gif"/>
<download>
<url size="200" content="activation" location="http://community.tomtom.com/content/activation/activation.zip?type=productActivation&amp;mapId=1SAA.019.32.8.60&amp;muid=GL4350C00809&amp;encryption=drm"/>
<url size="1745179981" content="main" location="http://download.tomtom.com/860/high-level-u-no-asr/USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P.zip?|||strCheck=aes:84BqkQpHj5E2OirqtLr3Y9PSpBi%2BB%2BfxObUFcC9cxEPYbfjpyTk7%2Fm6epwas4c2mbCxmsnOsAmn8%0AXSHB1WQaRrOf%2F0I88IQlLopf5AGXYts%3D"/>
</download>
<size>1745170180</size>
<targetdevice models="xl2009_plus_2048 one2009_plus_2048 xl2009_live_us_2048 xxl2010_plus_4096_tts_black xl2009_live_eu_2048 one2009_plus_2048_pearl gi_2048 one2009_plus_2048_pearl_tts gj_2048_tts rider3 gl_2048_tts one2009_plus_us_2048 xl2009_live_us_2048_tts xl2009_live_eu_2048_tts xxl2009_plus_2048_tts_black xxl2009_2048_tts_grey xxl2009_plus_2048_black xl2009_plus_2048_tts one2009_plus_2048_tts gk_2048_tts"/>
<contentprotection scheme="durham" devicecode="AK5ZJBAL9S">
<durhamkey needskey="false"/>
</contentprotection>
<supplier sharing="false" id="tomtom">
<name>TomTom</name>
<image url="http://home.tomtom.com/media/suppliers/tomtom_supplier_icon.png" usage="icon" mimetype="image/png"/>
</supplier>
<lastmodificationtime>2010-11-14T11:00:00</lastmodificationtime>
<region>CA,US</region>
<regions/>
<rect>-17679474 7439937 -4985187 1400000</rect>
<build>3121</build>
</map>
</HOME2>
in .\framework\InstallToDeviceThread.cpp:1005
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/commit.js:82
error(textOrException);
1. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1061
this._commitFailed(i, commitPage);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
this._errorCallback(e);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
this._errorFatal(error);

Time: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 15:32:30 GMT

OK it actually finished downloading on the 4th try however there in another problem. I get an error that says the .zip file is invalid. Perhaps I'll delete it and try downloading again?
Yes, I guess you'll have to do that. Answer to wired/wireless?

To delete, head to

My Documents \ TomTom \ HOME \ Downloads \ complete \ map

You should see a map folder created yesterday or today or whenever you started this process.

Forgot to ask at the beginning -- you DID make a full backup of your unit before you started this whole updating process, right?

I deleted the map folder and I am attempting to download but progress bar does not move (I have a good connection). I guess I will try plugging my laptop into my router with ethernet cable and see if that helps.

For whatever reason, TomTom's map servers have a real issue when downloading a map to a wireless connected computer.

Hopefully, doing so with a direct connection will not cause a corruption of data.

I deleted the map folder and I am attempting to download but progress bar does not move (I have a good connection). I guess I will try plugging my laptop into my router with ethernet cable and see if that helps.
Probably your best move. Keep us posted on your progress with that.

Once you've got a workable map on your unit, we need to go through the locally preferred backup process to make sure you've got a good working copy -- if you ever get into a ditch with your unit in the future, it's pretty easy to recover with that.

I'm still on my wireless computer and it seems to be downloading now. "estimated time remaining" reads 4:35:09. Does it normally take that long to dl map updates? I have a 1 Mbps connection.

I suspect you will still find up with a corrupt down using a wireless connection.

Hope not, but .......................

I'm still on my wireless computer and it seems to be downloading now. "estimated time remaining" reads 4:35:09. Does it normally take that long to dl map updates? I have a 1 Mbps connection.
Downloading 1.6GB of data .. yup. Could be worse. Wait until the release the new map (865) in a few days. First day of new map release gets pretty slow.

If this download doesn't fly, find that piece of Cat5 you were talking about...

XL 250 map update fails

I am not sure whether I am posting in the correct thread but I need help with a problem. I bought a TomTom XL 250 and wanted to update the map but I keep getting an error. TomTom support has been telling me how to rectify but it doesn't seem to work. Same error keep occurring. I am using Windows 7. Details of error as below:

ERROR: DesktopLib/InstallToDevice/GetInstallable/InvalidFile: The archive
file contains this file: Commercial_and_Residential_Buildings.inf
The file should not be part of this archive:
C:\Users\Sunil\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\map\Southeast_Asia\Southeast_Asia.zip
@ .\framework\InstallToDeviceThread.cpp(1047) <HOME2 version="2.7">
<description mimetype="text/plain" lang="en-GB">Detailed map of Brunei,
Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand & Singapore (Island of Borneo is also
included)
- countries covered: Brunei - 97%, Indonesia - 69%, Malaysia - 77%,
Singapore - 99% and Thailand - 99%
- connector roads: includes connected network of major roads that allows you
seamless navigation throughout the entire region
- roads covered: over 1.22 million km
-Points of Interest: over 720,000 POI's</description> <image url="
http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/860/high-level-u/PREVIEW/Southeast_Asia-IQR.gif"
usage="preview" mimetype="image/gif"/> <image url="
http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/860/high-level-u/ICON/Southeast_Asia-IQR.gif"
usage="icon" mimetype="image/gif"/> <download> <url size="200" content="activation" location="
http://community.tomtom.com/content....104.30.8.60&muid=GJ6290B00595&encryption=drm
"/> <url size="152899485" content="main" location="
http://download.tomtom.com/860/high...LnKh7CSJ57Zk QqqGEiLZg+Zzk/0hBKtYx/Ja9WdY7jI=
"/> </download> <size>152900286</size> <targetdevice models="go750_4096_weu gp_2048_tts
xxl2010_plus_4096_tts_black go750_2048_weu gi_2048 gg_1024
xxl2009_plus_2048_tts_black gh_1024_tts xxl2009_2048_tts_grey gj_2048_tts
xxl2009_plus_2048_black go750_1024_weu"/> <contentprotection scheme="durham" devicecode="AK5Z8D2HCA"/> <supplier sharing="false" id="tomtom"> <name>TomTom</name> <image url="
http://home.tomtom.com/media/suppliers/tomtom_supplier_icon.png"
usage="icon" mimetype="image/png"/> </supplier> <lastmodificationtime>2010-11-14T11:00:00</lastmodificationtime> <region>MY,ID,TH,SG,BN</region> <regions/> <rect>9499114 2047870 14106849 -1101091</rect> <build>3102</build> </HOME2>
in .\framework\InstallToDeviceThread.cpp:1047
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/commit.js:82
error(textOrException);
1. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1061
this._commitFailed(i, commitPage);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
this._errorCallback(e);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
this._errorFatal(error);
Time: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 16:58:00 GMT

I've never seen an error quite like that before, but the key to it, and what I hope tech support picked up on, is right at the beginning:

ERROR: DesktopLib/InstallToDevice/GetInstallable/InvalidFile: The archive file contains this file: Commercial_and_Residential_Buildings.inf
The file should not be part of this archive:
C:\Users\Sunil\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\comp lete\map\Southeast_Asia\Southeast_Asia.zi

The *.inf file is part of a set of files normally associated with a POI category. Truth to tell, it's an odd way for TomTom to manage a POI. That's usually how 'custom' POI merging is managed. In any case, the installer portion of Home is taking serious objection to it. My guess is that it really is there, and that it should not exist.

If you look in this folder on your computer
C:\Documents and Settings\{yourname}\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\map
you should spot the folder for the file set for the map you just downloaded. In that folder you'll find a file called something like Southeast_Asia.zip.

Open that file with your favorite zip tool and have a look at the contents. See if you can locate both *.ov2 and *.inf files with the root name "Commercial_and_Residential_Buildings". Either way, let us know what you see there. If you can spot that one file in isolation from anything else with that root name, we may just delete that one file from the archive and see how the install goes.

found

If you look in this folder on your computer
C:\Documents and Settings\{yourname}\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\map
you should spot the folder for the file set for the map you just downloaded. In that folder you'll find a file called something like Southeast_Asia.zip.

Open that file with your favorite zip tool and have a look at the contents. See if you can locate both *.ov2 and *.inf files with the root name "Commercial_and_Residential_Buildings". Either way, let us know what you see there. If you can spot that one file in isolation from anything else with that root name, we may just delete that one file from the archive and see how the install goes.

After checking that file, both the *.ov2 and *.inf files with the root name "Commercial_and_Residential_Buildings" are there together with a *.bmp file. Please advise what do I do from here.

Ask a Question