Two minor issues with my new 125SE

Despite being the proud owner of four Gamin hand-helds, I couldn't pass up the Black Friday deal from Wal-Mart on the 125SE (my first unit specifically for autos). The box and ads claim spoken street names, but mine only gives directional instructions without the street names. Also, is there a way to turn off the occasional pop-up tips that appear?

I've scoured the various menu items, but just can't seem the right place, and I did immediately connect to the TomTom site and update my unit as soon as it came out of the box.

Aha! I've discovered that you must use a "computer" voice, rather than the recorded voices in order for the street names to be spoken along with the directions. I did get a prompt earlier that a recorded voice could not read "warnings" or "alerts", but it did not mention having an effect on spoken street names.

Now hopefully these pop-up tips only appear once each (I don't recall any repeating yet) and once I work through them they won't come back.

Now hopefully these pop-up tips only appear once each (I don't recall any repeating yet) and once I work through them they won't come back.

There's an option in preferences to shut off the hints. Though, as a new Tomtom convert, you may want to leave them on for a few weeks so you learn some of the Tomtom idiosyncrasies.

There's an option in preferences to shut off the hints. Though, as a new Tomtom convert, you may want to leave them on for a few weeks so you learn some of the Tomtom idiosyncrasies.

Can you be more specific as to where to find the toggle for the hints? The closest thing I've found is "Show safety reminders" under the Safety preferences, but I don't believe that's it, because the hints I'm getting are more general use type things.

Also, can you confirm that using the "Travel Via" option will only allow the use of one additional destination, rather than being able to plan a more complex route - say with six distinct stops (or 'via points') along the way?

Can you be more specific as to where to find the toggle for the hints? The closest thing I've found is "Show safety reminders" under the Safety preferences, but I don't believe that's it, because the hints I'm getting are more general use type things.

Tomtom's been removing options in its recent entry-level models. It's possible that the toggle is not available in your model. I don't have my Tomtom with me now, but I believe it is called "show/hide hints" or "show/hide tips". It is it's own button on the preferences sub-menu.

Also, can you confirm that using the "Travel Via" option will only allow the use of one additional destination, rather than being able to plan a more complex route - say with six distinct stops (or 'via points') along the way?
"Travel via" will only allow one additional destination. Higher end models have a separate itinerary planning feature that permits multiple destinations. That feature is not available on the 125, 130, and one 3rd edition.

Last edited:

Ask a Question