Navigate on "minor" roads

TomTom Model(s)
One XL-S
I have a TT XL-S. There is a perfectly good road in my area that was "down loaded" to become a county road having previously been a provincial "highway". Mapping systems online and GPS seem to now avoid routing along there. Although with local knowledge one can override it and just drive the logical route, is there some option I can set to use that type of road when it is more direct?

For example, travelling northwards to Kitchener (Ontario, Canada) from the 403 highway, county road 70 (Trussler) works well in reality, but the GPS keeps asking me to turn to the east, then go north on a parallel route, then go west closer to town.

Once I was past a few roads that would have done that, TT gave up, let the recommended route stay on Trussler and dropped the eta by 5 minutes!

Local knowledge...

If I have local knowledge of routes, then I make my XLS my Beeeeotch and drive the route I want to. I only let my TomTom make me its Beeeeotch when I have no freaking clue where I am, and even then it's just a guide. :D

We still keep a back up Atlas in the car, so when we get re-routed into BFE, we can look at a good old fashioned map and see where that HWY was, which the XLS re-routed us off of, when I tried to avoid an accident and flooded roads.

It's just a guide, don't bet your life on it. :cool:

I have a TT XL-S. There is a perfectly good road in my area that was "down loaded" to become a county road having previously been a provincial "highway". Mapping systems online and GPS seem to now avoid routing along there. Although with local knowledge one can override it and just drive the logical route, is there some option I can set to use that type of road when it is more direct?

For example, travelling northwards to Kitchener (Ontario, Canada) from the 403 highway, county road 70 (Trussler) works well in reality, but the GPS keeps asking me to turn to the east, then go north on a parallel route, then go west closer to town.

Once I was past a few roads that would have done that, TT gave up, let the recommended route stay on Trussler and dropped the eta by 5 minutes!
Some TomTom versions allow "Road Type" Map Corrections, where you can upgrade/downgrade road sections & then broadcast the changes thru MapShare.

I have this feature under NavCore 8, but I can't remember if Nav7 supported it or not. If yours supports this, just raise the road's type by one class & see if that makes any difference when routing.

R?

Last edited:
I have a TT1 XLS. Can anyone suggest how this can be done? I do not see any "Road Type" when doing mapshare corrections. Is it only limited to certain models?

Not sure but mabye you could try to jack up the Speed limit on road by 1 or 2, to give it an edge?

Rick

I may try that, but as turning off that road, then coming back to it takes the route about 2 miles further I can't see how a speed limit change would make it different.

It is almost as if TT navigation will not use "minor" roads unless there is no alternative.

I may try that, but as turning off that road, then coming back to it takes the route about 2 miles further I can't see how a speed limit change would make it different.

It is almost as if TT navigation will not use "minor" roads unless there is no alternative.

I would expect it to be the routing algorithm but let me know if the spped change halps. In my locale, it seems to use minor roads MORE than I'd like. And it seems to not like left turns.

But post and let us know if changing speed limit helps at all, I'd be curious.

Rick

Do you know of a way to get a road marked for Mapshare corrections - other than going there and marking the location? Can I mark it on the TT while at home? I don't think I have been able to find a way of doing that.

I have a TT1 XLS. Can anyone suggest how this can be done? I do not see any "Road Type" when doing mapshare corrections. Is it only limited to certain models?

Well on my One 130 it is,

Map Corrections > Correct a map error > Report other error > Existing street > choose On Map or By Name > choose the street > Wrong Street Type > choose Freeway, Major road, minor road, or other.

Last edited:
Aha - thanks Chatin. When I select Map updates, unless I have some updates marked, the only thing I see on my menu are the Event Logger icons. I think I have lost something when I installed Event Logger.

I have temporarily "inactivated" event logger (by renaming the folders and cleanup.txt) and now the Mapshare options come up. So I will try another forum for guidance on solving the menu issue - there is a hint in a readme file, so I will try to understand that!

Thanks again, it caused me to look more closely at what menus I was seeing.

However, the upgrade of the road did not cause the navigation to take that route. Hmm Looking further, the street name changes at the county line, so I also upgraded that street - also without success! I think I will just put this down to the fact that there are some things in the route planning that are "magic" and as we know, should not supersede local knowledge. I have since built a Tyre route for when my son goes that way with the TT, but he has pretty much learned the route anyway.

Thanks again for the feedback

Last edited:
To close out the issue I mentioned above with Event_Logger. I looked carefully at the extensive readme file that comes with the latest version and it clearly states what happens with the menus!

As Event_logger runs fine, automatically all the time, and its menus are options to turn off the logging, I followed the suggestion and just deleted the special menu entries that were installed. Now I have event logger working fine and the normal menus are all there.

Apparently, the custom menu features are not handled any more in Navcore 7 so that was the main cause of the menu problem.

Ask a Question