TTHome does not find map on SD

In order to fit in the latest Western Europe map update on my GO720. I have moved the existing Western_Europe folder on to a 4GB SD card. The GO720 finds this map OK, and all is normal, except when I try to update the map with TT Home. The 'Update my GO' does not find any updates and when I try the 'Operate my GO' the on screen GO720 says 'No maps found'
(Did a full 'explorer backup' before moving files)
Help !

In order to fit in the latest Western Europe map update on my GO720. I have moved the existing Western_Europe folder on to a 4GB SD card. The GO720 finds this map OK, and all is normal, except when I try to update the map with TT Home. The 'Update my GO' does not find any updates and when I try the 'Operate my GO' the on screen GO720 says 'No maps found'
(Did a full 'explorer backup' before moving files)
Help !
Just curious - when you fire up Home, is it asking you whether you wish to operate on the Internal or External memory, and which do you select?

What size SD card did you install?

What firmware version do you have on your 720?

When I start TTHome2 it does not ask anything, it just goes straight to looking for updates.
SD card is 4GB.
720 firmware version 8.351

(Also the 'Change Device' is greyed out on TTHome2 Device menu)

When I start TTHome2 it does not ask anything, it just goes straight to looking for updates.
SD card is 4GB.
720 firmware version 8.351

(Also the 'Change Device' is greyed out on TTHome2 Device menu)
For whatever reason, either your computer, or specifically just Home, is unable to see your SD card.

When you plug in your 720 with the SD card installed, you should see TWO external drives show up in My Computer -- one for the internal memory of your 720 and one for the SD card. Is that the case or no?

Yes, both drives are visible on 'My Computer'
One is shown with the TomTom icon, the other as a Removable Disc G:
In fact to transfer the 'Western_Europe' folder to the SD card I cut and pasted from these drives.
After transfer the TomTom drive free space increased to 1.78GB, so the 720 really is getting the map from the SD card.

( By the way I'm using TomTom Home 2 version 2.7.5.2014 )

Thanks for your interest
Ghillie

OK - so the good news is that your SD card is visible to your computer. What Home's problem is one can only guess. It obviously sees only the internal memory at the moment (or so it would seem from your description).

Just for grins, fire up Home again, Do the Operate My Go, and select the Preferences menu, and see what you see when you go to Manage Maps.

Second to that, with Home fired up, what happens if you go to the tab at the top and click on Device? What choices are you offered? In particular, do you see a "Change Device" option?

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas.

Unfortunately with the map only on the SD card, when I fire up Home and go to the 'Operate my Go' I can't get past the 'No Maps Found' screen.
If I have one map on the 720 and another on the SD, when I 'Operate my Go' and look in 'Manage Maps' only the 720 map is visible. (Both are visible from the 720 'Manage Maps')

Under all conditions the Home 'Change Device' option is greyed out.

Have tried putting a small map (Canary Islands) on a different SD card of only 1GB, but Home still can't see it.

Have never run across that one (i.e., SD card "drive" visible and usable with PC, but Home can't see it). While I cannot imagine how it would help, I'd be inclined to uninstall Home and start again from here

How do I install TomTom HOME?

just to see if things improve at all. It's almost as though Home doesn't recognize the USB device as part of your TomTom when inquiring about the SD card.

Speaking of which...

If you're familiar with Control Panel, go to System / Device Manager and expand the USB devices list at the bottom. With your TomTom turned on and "connected" to your computer, there should be one "USB Mass Storage Device" shown with a VID/PID combination of USB\VID_1390&PID_0001 or something similar (the PID will no doubt be different). There should be no yellow exclamation points or other weirdness associated with the icon for the device. Is that where it should be and in good order?

Stumbled across the reason for the problem... Widows-7 UAC.
If I started TTHome by 'Run as administrator' everything worked fine.
So the TTHome program security permissions must have gone weird.

Reinstalling TTHome, as you suggested, tidied thing up,
I now have full integration of TTHome and the 720 SD card.

Thanks for all your help and advice
Ghillie

Wish I'd thought to ask about your OS sooner. Every time I hear Windows 7, I shudder. In order to avoid all of the access nags and restrictions of Vista and 7, I keep a little netbook that runs on XP. It manages all of my GPS and geocaching needs without giving me any grief about privs and auths every time I turn around.

Glad to hear the reload was successful. You had me going there for a bit.

Ask a Question