Selecting Upper Case letters from TTHome

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One XL
I was entering a map correction using the ttHome software to operate my TT device and I needed to add a McDonald's. My problem is that even though the "M" was automatically capitalized, the "D" was in lower case even when holding down the [shift] button.

Is there anyone out there that knows how to use Upper Case letters inside a word using TTHome?

Same question here.

It bugs me, also I can't find an apostrophie " ' " to save my life..

You should be able to hit the shift button on the display and see the characters pop up to upper case, it only holds for the next letter you type, kinda frustrating, but, no biggy.

AndersThomsen I'm with you, my upper case does not work with TOMTOM home. I tried everything, shift, caps lock, alt, you name it. HOWEVER when you enter a state in like MA, it shows up as you type it as Ma but when you send the correction in, it shows MA. Go figure ....

You should be able to hit the shift button on the display and see the characters pop up to upper case, it only holds for the next letter you type, kinda frustrating, but, no biggy.

But where is the shift button on the display? Here is a screen cap of my screen in TomTom Home, I don't see any shift button and the shift button on my keyboard does not work. This is very frustrating, since editing favorites is a lot easier on the computer in TomTom Home than on the handheld unit, but not very useful without capital letters.

But where is the shift button on the display? Here is a screen cap of my screen in TomTom Home, I don't see any shift button and the shift button on my keyboard does not work. This is very frustrating, since editing favorites is a lot easier on the computer in TomTom Home than on the handheld unit, but not very useful without capital letters.

What happens if you use the Cap Locks instead of the Shift?

PS I am using TomTom software version 7.163 and TomTom Home version 2.2.2.83 . As far as I know these are the latest updates, since it hasn't suggested I download anything else.

-Harry

What happens if you use the Cap Locks instead of the Shift?

Still lower case even with Caps Lock, my theory is that the TomTom wants you to use it's own shift key. Unfortunately, it's shift key isn't available since it doesn't display it's own keyboard when you are using it in TomTom Home.

-Harry

Clumsy Caps work around

If you hit TAB then the letter, it goes caps for 1 letter then you have to save the name and go back in and hit TAB then the next letter and so on.

If you hit TAB then the letter, it goes caps for 1 letter then you have to save the name and go back in and hit TAB then the next letter and so on.

Unfortunately, this procedure doesn't work for me, either. I haven't found a good way on the screen hgebel took a screenshot of. Tried, TAB, Shift, Alt, Caps Lock and all combinations of them together....cannot get a capital letter on this screen.

I have noticed some of the other screens won't show the capital in TomTom HOME, but WILL show the capital on the TomTom once you disconnect the TomTom and look at the TomTom by itself.

Specifically, I was adding a favorite and changing the name of it to get to this screen.

Unfortunately, this procedure doesn't work for me, either. I haven't found a good way on the screen hgebel took a screenshot of. Tried, TAB, Shift, Alt, Caps Lock and all combinations of them together....cannot get a capital letter on this screen.

I have noticed some of the other screens won't show the capital in TomTom HOME, but WILL show the capital on the TomTom once you disconnect the TomTom and look at the TomTom by itself.

Specifically, I was adding a favorite and changing the name of it to get to this screen.

By coincidence, this same issue is being discussed in the British forum here:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=65048

I was on the phone with TomTom service for about 45 minutes working on this issue. TomTom apparently believes we are all nuts or something. As I was told by TomTom support, the shift keys, ctrl keys, etc.. are ignored by Home Operate. To enter Capital letters or special characters, you need to use the on screen keyboard. HOWEVER, in the most recent version of Home Operate, the keyboard does NOT display on any screens. The final answer I got from TomTom support was to make my changed directly on the TomTom and not Home Operate. I was not happy with the answer. It appears to be a new bug in the software.

I did find a querky work around.

I found that if I click on the "Find" button, the on-screen keyboard comes up. So when you go to say update the title of a favorite, after you have selected rename and the title is on the screen, click on the "Find" button to get the on-screen keyboard to come up. Once the on-screen keyboard is up, you can click on the on-screen buttons to control as you would on the TomTom itself.

I was on the phone with TomTom service for about 45 minutes working on this issue. TomTom apparently believes we are all nuts or something. As I was told by TomTom support, the shift keys, ctrl keys, etc.. are ignored by Home Operate. To enter Capital letters or special characters, you need to use the on screen keyboard. HOWEVER, in the most recent version of Home Operate, the keyboard does NOT display on any screens. The final answer I got from TomTom support was to make my changed directly on the TomTom and not Home Operate. I was not happy with the answer. It appears to be a new bug in the software.

I did find a querky work around.

I found that if I click on the "Find" button, the on-screen keyboard comes up. So when you go to say update the title of a favorite, after you have selected rename and the title is on the screen, click on the "Find" button to get the on-screen keyboard to come up. Once the on-screen keyboard is up, you can click on the on-screen buttons to control as you would on the TomTom itself.

That's what support meant by "on screen keyboard"

I know this is an old posting but ...

The lack off the shift key makes me nuts. So does the fact that updates nuke one's MapConfiguration.cfg (which stores all the custom data).

I found, on a Mac anyway, using vi, one can edit the MapConfiguration.cfg file (in the map directory, one level down) and change "Grace church" to "Grace Church."

Save the file and the computer-connected control shows the proper name: Grace Church. You may find an entry in the cfg file twice. I assume that's for a favorite and a recent destination.

I don't know the binary structure of the cfg file, but at least I can use TT Home and get the list I want.

YMMV on Windows platforms because of the binary nature of the file. Make a BACKUP!

Last edited:

Ask a Question