TT Speed Camera Database

Hi
Has any one had experience with the Tomtom speed camera data base being really out of date, i just brought a new tom tom IQ and i do a lot of miles so i treated my self to the annual subscription for camera locations and wow what a complete waste of money, i spend a lot of time on my journeys updating camera locations for tom tom and you have guessed it that do nothing with the information, I even wrote down every camera error from Devon to Sheffield using the marker plates on the motor as rough indicators to show tom tom that there data base was out of date and they wrote back and said that the information was not sufficient and they wonted full longditude and latitude information as well , i have now been in dialogue with tom tom for a few months and they have treated me like a complete idiot the first response was i did not down load the camera software correctly, the second e-mail told me i was not updating regular, the third email told me how to switch on the alerts and this has gone on and on and on and they will blame everything but will not except that they are not managing there data base , The only solution is not to bother with this additional service as it cant be trusted and i will never purchase another service off tomtom as they have got too big for there boots and will not take ownership of problems or issues and they are basically selling a service that is not fit for purpose

Regards

Jarrod

I would strongly suggest that you obtain an accurate, current, flexible database subscription from pocketgpsworld.com in the UK.

See information here:
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras

As a bonus, one of supermods, Mikealder, is UK based and is also a moderator on that site. He can answer any further questions.

Thanks

Really appriciate the response and will look into your recommendation later this evening

Just to add a few details regarding the PocketGPSWorld database:

1/ It contains locations where mobile cameras are often located.
2/ Its updated once per week (with the odd exception).
3/ You get a chance to earn a free lifetime membership if you are the first person to spot a change/ new camera etc (subject to verification).
4/ All submissions are verified which keeps rubbish out of the database.
5/ Easy to configure for spoken alerts where the device will tell you the type of camera you are approaching and the speed limit applicable.

As dhn has said - if you have any questions just ask, you can even run both the TomTom database and the one from PGPSW at the same time to see how poor the TomTom data really is when compared to a decent set of data, although I expect you would be more interested in knowing how to disable/ remove the TomTom data set from the device from reading your original post - Mike

need advise

Can you let me know if i subscribe to this additional camera service that it actually works on the tom tom IQ and could you let me know how this works and does it conflict with tom tom software

Yes it will work fine on the XL IQ, it uses the Warn when near POI funtion built in to your device, it doesn't conflict in any way with the device. I use it on all my devices including the basic TomTom Start which doesn't even support the Warn when near POI

Just subscribe, download, unzip the files to the UK&ROI or Western_Europe map folder, if you want spoken alerts you can download the voice warning packs of you choice the unzip it to the same folder as you placed the camera POI files. With the files on the device go to Change Preferences/ Manage POI/ Warn when near POI and configure the camera POI categories one at a time (takes around 5 min), for the weekly updates simply download and unzip the files to your map folder UK&ROI or Western_Europe as applicable you don't have to re-enter the settings.

Another option to consider for spoken alerts on this device is to get Text To Speech working on it and use a computer voice, doing this is a little more involved but it's certainly possible - Mike

Many Thanks

Mike
Thats great thank you very much, just to put my mind at reset my tom tom is the IQ route edition and is not an xl but does have worn pol so i would imagine it will be fine, just looking forward to asking tom tom for a refund on the basis of goods are not fit for purpose

The database works fine all all the TomTom products with only two notable exceptions, the iPhone software as it has no way to install custom POI files let alone warn as you approach them and the Start device which needs quite a bit of messing with to get working as this device uses a very reduced menu system (simplified).
It will work 100% on the device you own - Mike

Update with Tom Tom

Being Tom-tom just don't wont to hear that there data base is out of date and I have got feed up with the e-mails back and forth and not getting any where apart from getting uptight with the responses, which for all intense and purposes are just scripted delay tactics as each e-mail takes about a week to get answered and then you have to go to there website to respond.
So enough is enough and I have asked for a full refund on the bases of selling a service that is far from fit for service, I will keep you posted on there response and it will be interesting to see how they will try and worm out of paying the refund, I have informed Tom-tom if they don't give me a refund I will take my complaint to Trading standards and higher if needs be as so angry they have taken the approach that the user is at fault
I travel from Devon to Sheffield on a regular basis and I have lost count on the amount of corrections i have submitted to Tom tom using the update button and what makes things worse they don't use the information you supply as I did the same route a few weeks later and updated the same cameras so now I have removed the update button which was as much use as an ashtray on a bike

I fully argee with you about the Tomtom Safety Camera database. We have a 950, 550 and 520 and the download file is the same for all of them, when the 950 & 550 should have the premium database which gives warnings on Mobile Speed camera sites and accident black spots. Both the 950 & 550 did give warnings until I updated them now it is just the standard camera. I also have been emailing Tomtom and have not got this fix yet. Tomtom want ?95 per year for this service but are only providing the ?19.95 service. I have now inform them that I will be speaking to trading standards on this matter.

We always suggest for our UK members that they not waste their money on the TomTom speed camera database but, rather, subscribe to one that is reliable, accurate, current and flexible in setup. The one we suggest is offered by pocketgpsworld in the UK.

More information found here

A supermod here, Mikealder, is UK based and is a moderator at PGPSW as well; he'll be able to provide further info, if required.

If you switch to the PGPSW database which contains far greater accuracy and far more frequent updates including locations where mobile cameras are known to operate you won't be disapointed, also under the license scheme PGPSW offer you can install the database to three devices as long as they are owned by the same household, and you will get change out of ?20 with all three devices covered (a bit cheaper than the ?95 you have been quoted) - Mike

Ask a Question