TT HOME Locks Up My Computer

I bought a TT One Regional v2 last Saturday.
I loaded TT HOME (v1.3.306.0) but it locked up and I couldn't use it. I eventually uninstalled it (or thought I did). However, my computer now ran very, very slowly. Not only that, I could shut it down normally:mad: .

In the end I hit the reset button, and as it was powering up, I went into Safe Mode.
From there I found that the program (TomTom HOME.exe) was still installed, although most other TT items had disappeared. I manually deleted the program, then ran all the virus/adaware/regcleaner programs I had. I re-booted and the computer seemed back to normal.

I then downloaded the latest HOME (v 1.5.106) from TT. Someone on an Australian Forum said the program was conflicting with Kerio Firewall, which I use. So I went into Kerio and set it up so that I was prompted to create a rule every time some program it didn't know was accessing the internet.
I ran the new TT HOME and got the same result - locked up program and virtually locked up computer.

Has anyone heard of this problem before and knows of a work-around?

PS I have a 3200+ AMD pc with 1GB RAM running XP SP2.

Computer locking up

My 910 locked up my computer, and finally - it stopped being recognized by the computer as a device. But I never had problems with the TT home program itself. I had it originally installed on a machine with the same specs you listed - never had a problem with home on it either.

If you open TT home without the device connected, do you have any problems? If not, it might be the device itself. If so, try below.

Can you disable the firewall? If so, you might try re-installing it an see how it runs before you re-enable the firewall. Sometimes the firewall can mess up the installation, not just the operation.

My 910 locked up my computer, and finally - it stopped being recognized by the computer as a device. But I never had problems with the TT home program itself. I had it originally installed on a machine with the same specs you listed - never had a problem with home on it either.

If you open TT home without the device connected, do you have any problems? If not, it might be the device itself. If so, try below.

Can you disable the firewall? If so, you might try re-installing it an see how it runs before you re-enable the firewall. Sometimes the firewall can mess up the installation, not just the operation.
You've given me some ideas to try over the weekend.
Someone on another forum suggested that I get rid of Kerio firewall. But I don't want to get rid of it. I like it, and I pay an annual subscription. I'll try and install HOME with Kerio turned off (the other forum said that the only way HOME would run was if Kerio was totally removed from the computer, not just turned off). Why should I get rid of a program that works perfectly with every other program or application I have ever had.

OK
I completely uninstalled my Kerio Firewall and installed the latest TT HOME.
Sure enough, the HOME worked perfectly. I downloaded all the updates, etc. did a backup, and my One is now happy.
As I prefer Kerio as my firewall, I guess I'll now have to uninstall my HOME and re-install Kerio Firewall.

And then repeat the whole process when I want to backup or upgrade the firmware,maps,etc.
Thanks everyone for the advice and help;)

If you pay an annual fee to Kerio, why not report your problem to their support folks and maybe Kerio will provide a fix.

I don't believe Kerio is at fault. I have many other programs which communicate over the internet (eg updating themselves) including XP, AVG(antivirus), CCleaner, etc. None have a problem working with Kerio.

Anyway, I'm going to have a hunt around for another firewall - any ideas?

I don't believe Kerio is at fault. I have many other programs which communicate over the internet (eg updating themselves) including XP, AVG(antivirus), CCleaner, etc. None have a problem working with Kerio.

Anyway, I'm going to have a hunt around for another firewall - any ideas?

AVG has a free trail version

Comodo Firewall is free, you can try that too if you like.

Before you uninstall anything, are you sure you cannot run home with Kerio just turned off ? If looked like you had only tried a complete uninstall. If so, see if it will work with it still installed but it completely turned off.

That would save you a lot of time and trouble in updating TT through home.

I would try what GAW said first.

Second, you may try Zone Alarm....I have been using that for years and really like it....best of all its FREE!:D

I would try what GAW said first.

Second, you may try Zone Alarm....I have been using that for years and really like it....best of all its FREE!:D

I used to have Zone Alarm. I can't remember why I fell out with them, but I ended up with Kerio.
Someone else has recommended NOD32. Any comments?

We're a bit OT. We should really start a new thread.

Ask a Question