TT Home 1.5 Backup Sync Failure

Apparently the format for the TTH 1.3 backup files and the TTH 1.5 backup files are different, so the "Sync" does not work on previous backup files. Actually, it crashes TTH 1.5 and wants to send a report to Microsoft.

Once you make a complete new backup, the sync seems to work for most people. Would sure be nice if TT would let folks know on the front end when critical changes like this are made. A simple dialog screen after the TTH 1.5 is first run telling the user that a complete new backup is required or maybe even FORCE a full backup upon installation would be best. If the older backups are no longer compatible, you might as well delete them and save disk space.

I have not done a restore with TTH 1.5, but did use one from TTH 1.3 to restore my data to a new 2Gb SD Card shortly after purchasing my 510. I have another 2Gb card for my camera, so I will format it and try restoring my TTH 1.5 data, just to make sure it's worth the effort. I may also try to restore an old TTH 1.3 file before I delete them as well to my other card, just to see.

What about those guys that have not backed up their GO since moving to TTH 1.5? They may be screwed if their card gets corrupt if they can't get their hands on the TTH 1.3 that came with their PND.

Last edited:
With some testing I've been doing I noticed I can't get my backups from 1.3 to restor after 1.5 install. but a drag a drop actualy DID work... odd

Well, I was going to try BOTH ways, but since you have, I won't. But, I will make sure my TTH 1.5 backups work in my system.

Thanks.

(added: 2/6/07) I have now backed up and restored my TTH 1.5 data to a new SD card, via the GO and an external card reader (faster) both to make sure. I also did just a copy from the GO to the card reader. Everything worked as expected.

I have also created a Western Europe SD Card for use when I travel. No need to have both the USA and Europe data on a single card as the backup will take so much longer and they are never needed at the same time since I don't have any immediate plans to rely on the TT to get me from a point in the USA to one in Europe.

Last edited:
Interesting observations. A nice reminder for everyone to do a full backup with 1.5 ASAP!

Something else I've noticed. If you, like me, use Windows Explorer to add/remove files from your TomTom SD Card, either in the GO or in a card reader, this might apply to you.

It appears that changes to files outside the TTH 1.5 program causes the SYNC to not work and crash TTH as described above unless you do a full Backup after such changes. Apparently, TTH keeps track of the files with some form of checksum. With changes to either the PC folder or SD Card using Windows Explorer, they don't check, thus the error.

I don't really see this as a problem, but something to be remembered. You can still quckly make all the changes you want outside of TTH to check operation, but just remember to make a TTH Backup when you are done.

Ask a Question