TripMaster enhancement request

TomTom Model(s)
GO300
Hi Roussillat, TripMaster is a wonderful program. I have had it running for just a few hours, but love it. Would you consider adding labels to the TripMaster display? For example, Tt next to Total Duration, Mt next to Moving Duration, Td next to Total Distance, Id next to Intermediate distance, Xv next to Max Speed, Av next to Average Speed, Mv next to Moving Speed, Alt next to Altitude. This would make it easier for users to understand the display. Perhaps you could have an option to turn on and off the label display, so that experienced users can turn off the label display to get a cleaner, uncluttered display.

Also rather than have the log file name displayed at the top would it not make more sense to have a sign 'Tracking ON' or 'Tracking OFF' instead?

In any case this is a great program.:) :) :)

Also for rousillat if he reads this.

I am looking for a way to easily load itineraries with the least amount of touches. I saw that your reverse itinerary function used to load the itinerary as well as reverse it. Is there a way to build a function that I could put on the main screen to list all intineraries (not reverse them) , load and route when i select it?

Thanks

I love tripmaster.

Re Tripmaster. I have loaded it and run it in the background. I get the alitutde I wanted and also the benefit of the speed warning. Also, it does not interfer with ipod.

Hi Roussillat, TripMaster is a wonderful program. I have had it running for just a few hours, but love it. Would you consider adding labels to the TripMaster display? For example, Tt next to Total Duration, Mt next to Moving Duration, Td next to Total Distance, Id next to Intermediate distance, Xv next to Max Speed, Av next to Average Speed, Mv next to Moving Speed, Alt next to Altitude. This would make it easier for users to understand the display. Perhaps you could have an option to turn on and off the label display, so that experienced users can turn off the label display to get a cleaner, uncluttered display.

Also rather than have the log file name displayed at the top would it not make more sense to have a sign 'Tracking ON' or 'Tracking OFF' instead?

In any case this is a great program.:) :) :)

Do you plan to add a PC screen to your Tomtom ? If not, I won't make this enhancement as it would make the Tripmaster merely unreadable...

Just read carefully the documentation and use it and then, you'll know the signification of each value.

If you really want labels, you can create a specific background where you'll put them.

I am looking for a way to easily load itineraries with the least amount of touches. I saw that your reverse itinerary function used to load the itinerary as well as reverse it. Is there a way to build a function that I could put on the main screen to list all intineraries (not reverse them) , load and route when i select it?

Yes, there's a way. Just use the "Itinerary planning" function of Tomtom, simple, isn't it ? ;)

Seriously speaking : the "Load_Itinerary" function I use in ReverseItn is a subset of all the functions available in the "Itinerary planning" function of Tomtom. So, a plugin using it would be less functional than the Tomtom function : for ex., no capability to choose between fastest or shortest way, etc...

If you really want labels, you can create a specific background where you'll put them.

Roussillat, thank you for the reply. I think it is a good idea. If I switch back to TripMaster I may end up creating a custom background with the labels embedded into the background. Thank you once again.

Roussillat, here are some more suggestion for TripMaster enhancements. I submit it very respectfully and thank you again for a great program.

1. Total distance is indicated with one decimal place while intermediate distance is displayed with 3 decimal places the last of which is always 0. The display would look better if both were displayed with 2 decomal places each.

2. The altitude readings can vary quite a bit from one moment to the next - even when one is driving on a flat road. This is not TripMaster's fault. However TripMaster's setup could include an option to have the displayed altitude reading be the running average of the altitude readings for the last x seconds - where x could be 5 or 10 seconds. This would result in more accurate altitude readings, and readings that don't jump as much from moment to moment. Note that this option would not be suitable for skydivers and others who experience rapid changes in altitude.:D

Thank you.

Roussillat, here are some more suggestion for TripMaster enhancements. I submit it very respectfully and thank you again for a great program.

1. Total distance is indicated with one decimal place while intermediate distance is displayed with 3 decimal places the last of which is always 0. The display would look better if both were displayed with 2 decomal places each.

If my first thought, I wouldn't do that. If I change something, it would be to add the last real digit to the intermediate trip (the meter part) and remove the decimal to the total distance. Look at your car odometer, many of them have no decimals on the total trip and only one decimal on the intermediate trip. For the moment, I will keep it like that, until I decide and find a solution to allow users to configure themselves the display...

2. The altitude readings can vary quite a bit from one moment to the next - even when one is driving on a flat road. This is not TripMaster's fault. However TripMaster's setup could include an option to have the displayed altitude reading be the running average of the altitude readings for the last x seconds - where x could be 5 or 10 seconds. This would result in more accurate altitude readings, and readings that don't jump as much from moment to moment. Note that this option would not be suitable for skydivers and others who experience rapid changes in altitude.:D

fbike in altitude tried that and it produces some strange things. You must consider that the altitude on a GPS is anything else but accurate so, even averaging it, it will remain a gadget that must not be taken as an accurate information. In addition, it would mean also more calculation, which implies a slower program, so...

If my first thought, I wouldn't do that. If I change something, it would be to add the last real digit to the intermediate trip (the meter part) and remove the decimal to the total distance.

Roussillat, I agree. It doesn't make sense to have all those decimal points for the total trip.

fbike in altitude tried that and it produces some strange things. You must consider that the altitude on a GPS is anything else but accurate so, even averaging it, it will remain a gadget that must not be taken as an accurate information. In addition, it would mean also more calculation, which implies a slower program, so...

I now believe that rather than taking a moving average, a better measure would be a moving median so that extreme outlier measures will have less of an influence on the displayed altitude. One way to reduce the code bloat is to eliminate the inclinometer. Since the altitude display is not very accurate, the inclinometer display is very suspect.

Roussillat, regardless of whether you incorporate these suggestions or not, I remain a big fan of your programs. Thanks.:)

Altitude

I went on a long journey to the edges of civilization....some deep dark place in arizone, where they THINK they are in Mexico....

ON the way there, I passed MANY MANY altitude signs, and I was keeping an eye on the altimeter, to try an gauge an accuracy rating of some type....I noticed that TomTom's tripmaster, tended to be within 30-50 feet within what the signs said "1000, 2000, 3000, 4000" etc.... I also try to look at the "city limits" signs to check out the accuracy on there....

I did also notice in a stroll through old mexico, that using the "metric" system, seems to be more accurate, or at least closer to what my car states is my actual speed, as the Imperial is slightly under what my car says by about 3-5 mph regardless of the speed being driven.

Ask a Question