Treo 750 with GO 930

Anyone had luck establishing a data bluetooth connection using a Treo 750 running Windows Mobile 6? I can activate hands-free, but that's about it.

Thanks,
Bret

Anyone had luck establishing a data bluetooth connection using a Treo 750 running Windows Mobile 6? I can activate hands-free, but that's about it.

My Treo 750 with WM6 connects to my TT One XL just fine.

Can you be more specific about your problem? Which Navcore do you have? What cell carrier? etc?

Also, have you installed the BT DUN hack for WM6? (Not sure if that's necessary; I installed it for other reasons (not TomTom).)

Details, please! :)

Hi ladysun1969!

I'm not sure where to locate the Navcore version number, but if I select the satellite status summary, I see "version 8.010" in the lower left-hand corner.

My Treo 750 (w/ WM6) is on AT&T with a full unlimited data package. (I use the phone's bluetooth to access the internet on my laptop in remote locations, for example.)

Here's what I've done:
  • Go to the Mobile Phone menu
  • When TomTom asks, "To use the hands-free features, you need to establish a Bluetooth connection between your phone and your TomTom Go930. Do you want to do that now?" I select "YES."
  • When TomTom asks, "Please make sure that Bluetooth is enabled on your phone. Start searching for phones now?" I activate bluetooth on my phone. (I check the "Turn on Bluetooth" and "Make this device visible to other devices" checkboxes on my Treo.)
  • TomTom searches for phones.
  • On the "Select a phone" list I select "Treo". (There's another option: "!" <-- I'm not sure what that could be.)
  • TomTom connects to my phone. I enter the passcode when prompted by the phone.
  • TomTom says, "Congratulations! The phone 'Treo' is now ready for hands-free calling. The following features were found: Hands-free calling, Phonebook. I press, "Continue."
  • TomTom displays a tip about making sure the phone accepts connections from TomTom. I press, "Continue."
  • The following message is displayed on a red background: "Treo: This phone does not seem to be capable of making a wireless data connection. TomTom services cannot be used with this phone." I press, "Continue."
  • When TomTom asks if it should copy my phonebook, I always press "NO."
And that's it!

Do you think the BT hack might facilitate what I'm looking for? I'd love to be able to use TomTom services, especially since I pay so much for the data package on this Treo.

Thanks for your time and help!

Bret

Hi ladysun1969!

Hi, Bret! :)

I'm not sure where to locate the Navcore version number, but if I select the satellite status summary, I see "version 8.010" in the lower left-hand corner.

That's it. That's the latest NavCore, as far as I know.

My Treo 750 (w/ WM6) is on AT&T with a full unlimited data package. (I use the phone's bluetooth to access the internet on my laptop in remote locations, for example.)

OK, that's exactly what I have, too.

Here's what I've done:
  • Go to the Mobile Phone menu
  • When TomTom asks, "To use the hands-free features, you need to establish a Bluetooth connection between your phone and your TomTom Go930. Do you want to do that now?" I select "YES."
  • When TomTom asks, "Please make sure that Bluetooth is enabled on your phone. Start searching for phones now?" I activate bluetooth on my phone. (I check the "Turn on Bluetooth" and "Make this device visible to other devices" checkboxes on my Treo.)
  • TomTom searches for phones.
  • On the "Select a phone" list I select "Treo". (There's another option: "!" <-- I'm not sure what that could be.)
  • TomTom connects to my phone. I enter the passcode when prompted by the phone.
  • TomTom says, "Congratulations! The phone 'Treo' is now ready for hands-free calling. The following features were found: Hands-free calling, Phonebook. I press, "Continue."
  • TomTom displays a tip about making sure the phone accepts connections from TomTom. I press, "Continue."
  • The following message is displayed on a red background: "Treo: This phone does not seem to be capable of making a wireless data connection. TomTom services cannot be used with this phone." I press, "Continue."
  • When TomTom asks if it should copy my phonebook, I always press "NO."
And that's it!

OK, I don't think the ONE XL allows me to use it as a handsfree device (maybe it does, but I haven't set it up), but it does allow me to use the TT Plus services such as Traffic and Fuel Prices.

Does your Go ask you what type of phone you have? When I pair my Treo 750 with my ONE XL, it asks me to choose from a list of phone types. The only Treo versions are 650 and something-else-that-I-can't-remember-right-now. I have found that choosing the 650 only works sometimes, so I've taken to choosing "Other" (down at the bottom of the screen, not one of the actual phone choices) for type of phone.

After that, it asks me to choose a wireless provider. Even though I've got AT&T Wireless, I have to choose Cingular (media net), because those are the settings my phone uses to connect to GPRS. (I've gone from AT&T to Cingular to AT&T - been with them since 2001.)

After that, the TT & the Treo 750 pair up & everything is good to go.

Do you think the BT hack might facilitate what I'm looking for? I'd love to be able to use TomTom services, especially since I pay so much for the data package on this Treo.

I'm not sure if it will help or not. The "Internet Sharing" in WM6 works to connect a laptop to it, but I don't think it's exactly analogous to the BT DUN that was in WM5 - I *have* heard rumors that AT&T is monitoring the "Internet Sharing" usage of its customers & may require a different $ervice package for that, whereas BT DUN is part of the unlimited data package. However, it's still a rumor at this point.

So, after all of that, I'm not sure if I can help you after all. :( Maybe someone else will chime in who knows a bit more about the GO.

Good luck!!
-Michele
SF Bay Area

I've got an AT&T Tilt wit WM6 and it took a bit of trying, but I got it to work. The jist of it, I had to make a manual connection using the Cingular Media Net option. Everything else i left default. Then to make my phone connect to the TomTom server, i always have to disable my wi-fi, connect to Media Net first and then have my 920T connect to TomTom Plus Services. For some reason my phone has to connect to Media Net 1st before it completes a connection to Traffics, Weather, Buddy, etc...

OK, I don't think the ONE XL allows me to use it as a handsfree device (maybe it does, but I haven't set it up), but it does allow me to use the TT Plus services such as Traffic and Fuel Prices.
I don't usually talk and drive (and even when I do, I don't think I'd do it through TomTom), so I'm looking for exactly what you have working on your unit - TT Services.

Does your Go ask you what type of phone you have? When I pair my Treo 750 with my ONE XL, it asks me to choose from a list of phone types. The only Treo versions are 650 and something-else-that-I-can't-remember-right-now. I have found that choosing the 650 only works sometimes, so I've taken to choosing "Other" (down at the bottom of the screen, not one of the actual phone choices) for type of phone.
TomTom has never prompted me with that list. It merely searches for bluetooth devices, then displays a list of those available devices. (Treo and some device named ! tend to be the two options.)

After that, it asks me to choose a wireless provider. Even though I've got AT&T Wireless, I have to choose Cingular (media net), because those are the settings my phone uses to connect to GPRS. (I've gone from AT&T to Cingular to AT&T - been with them since 2001.)
Hrm... I don't get anything similar to that menu either. Do you think these options appear as a result of the underlying DUN/bluetooth system being enabled?

Internet Connection Sharing works so well with Vista, haha, I wish TomTom would hook into ICS (it'd probably be a cleaner process than DUN).

I have nothing to lose, so I'll try the hack and get back to you with results!

Since I pay ridiculous prices for my data service in addition to my regular phone plan (more than I would pay if I used one of those ExpressCards), I'm hoping AT&T will think twice before they start slamming me with MORE fees.

I understand it costs money to maintain networks, but... eh, you know.

Thanks so much, Michele. You definitely gave me some good ideas!

Bret

Looks like it was DUN!

I performed the hack, setup the device, and all of a sudden I experienced all the menus you mentioned earlier in the thread, Michele!

Now... I'm on AT&T Wireless, but should I select Cingular option instead?

(Turns out AT&T Wireless didn't work automatically. I chose Cingular and it worked like a charm! THANK YOU SO MUCH!)

Thanks!

Bret

Last edited:
Looks like it was DUN!

I performed the hack, setup the device, and all of a sudden I experienced all the menus you mentioned earlier in the thread, Michele!

Now... I'm on AT&T Wireless, but should I select Cingular option instead?

(Turns out AT&T Wireless didn't work automatically. I chose Cingular and it worked like a charm! THANK YOU SO MUCH!)

Thanks!

Bret

YAY! I'm glad I was able to help. :) :)

-Michele

what bt hack are you refering too. I have a Treo 800w that is doing the same exact thing you describe with your 750 and would love to get it working

the 800w also runs wm 6.1

that is the one I thought you meant. Either I am missing a step or it is not doing a thing for me

I run the cab on the phone and then pair the phone to the GPS and it tells me the phone is not capable of data - is there anything else I need to do first?

that is the one I thought you meant. Either I am missing a step or it is not doing a thing for me

I run the cab on the phone and then pair the phone to the GPS and it tells me the phone is not capable of data - is there anything else I need to do first?

If there is, I don't know what it would be. I ran the cab and then it worked for me.

Can you give us details as to what exactly *is* happening?

word for word as another poster on this thread

Here's what I've done:
Go to the Mobile Phone menu
When TomTom asks, "To use the hands-free features, you need to establish a Bluetooth connection between your phone and your TomTom Go930. Do you want to do that now?" I select "YES."
When TomTom asks, "Please make sure that Bluetooth is enabled on your phone. Start searching for phones now?" I activate bluetooth on my phone. (I check the "Turn on Bluetooth" and "Make this device visible to other devices" checkboxes on my Treo.)
TomTom searches for phones.
On the "Select a phone" list I select "Treo". (There's another option: "!" <-- I'm not sure what that could be.)
TomTom connects to my phone. I enter the passcode when prompted by the phone.
TomTom says, "Congratulations! The phone 'Treo' is now ready for hands-free calling. The following features were found: Hands-free calling, Phonebook. I press, "Continue."
TomTom displays a tip about making sure the phone accepts connections from TomTom. I press, "Continue."
The following message is displayed on a red background: "Treo: This phone does not seem to be capable of making a wireless data connection. TomTom services cannot be used with this phone." I press, "Continue."
When TomTom asks if it should copy my phonebook, I always press "NO."

acutually I just noticed I let it copy my phone book so that is different

800's do not have a reset but I have done the soft reset by pulling the battery and putting it back in while holding the power button until Palm logo appears

I have also soft reset via software app

Have also reset the Go720 - Was not impressed with TomTom's BT abilities before this and now even less so.

I went ahead and reinstalled the wm6_bt_dun cab and tried again - now I am unable to get them paired at all.

The phone prompts me for a password "0000" when I key that and hit next it says failed connection or wrong passcode

oddly enough if I intiate the connection from the phone - I enter the passcode "0000" the phone will tell me I am connected. Then I can go to the 720 and tell it to find the treo and it will pair. Only get a hands free option though no matter what I try.

I went ahead and reinstalled the wm6_bt_dun cab and tried again - now I am unable to get them paired at all.

The phone prompts me for a password "0000" when I key that and hit next it says failed connection or wrong passcode

oddly enough if I intiate the connection from the phone - I enter the passcode "0000" the phone will tell me I am connected. Then I can go to the 720 and tell it to find the treo and it will pair. Only get a hands free option though no matter what I try.

What happens if you turn off the requirement for a password? Should be in your Bluetooth Settings page, on the Security tab.

quick scan of the blue tooth screens I am not seeing a "security" option

I see the following tabs under blue tooth settings

devices - list paired devices
mode - enable BT and make visible to other devices
com ports - empty
printer - empty

Under settings I do not see any other settings for security other than locking the phone

quick scan of the blue tooth screens I am not seeing a "security" option

I see the following tabs under blue tooth settings

devices - list paired devices
mode - enable BT and make visible to other devices
com ports - empty
printer - empty

Under settings I do not see any other settings for security other than locking the phone

Damn WM6 - why does every freakin' device have different screens?!? :mad: (my husband has a Tilt with WM6 & his screens vary from mine, too)

My BT Settings tabs are:
Devices
Mode
COM Ports
Security

On the Security tab it says "Beam Authorization:" and has a check box labeled "Authentication (Passkey) required".

So another place to look: Settings | Connections | Beam

Or, poke around a bit & see where it might be. Surely it's there *somewhere*.

I will not claim Windows Mobile is my strongest area but......

Under settings I see

Personal
Systems
Connections

I choose Connections and get the following

Beam - Receive all incoming Beams
Bluetooth - as described in previous post
Connections - (My ISP, My Network

Several others dealing with WiFi

Under beam there is only one option and by default it was checked

:confused: :(

Ask a Question