Transfer routes from smartphone to Tomtom device

Hello everyone.

Is there a way to transfer a route file (GPX or ITN) from an Android or Iphone to a Tomtom navigator. I am specifically interested in the devices for motorcycles. I realize bluetooth can not be used, but if i get the right USB cable, can this be done?

/Mats

Neither device is a USB host, so there is no way to directly transfer files between the two.

Further, I'm not clear about what application you will be running on either the iPhone or the Android device that will supply you with either a *.gpx or *.itn file. That said, you cannot directly use a *.gpx file on a TomTom product. It would first have to be converted to an *.itn, and must be no more than 48 points per *.itn file.

I assume you are running Navigator 6 on a cell phone of some sort, or ??? Or when you say "TomTom navigator", do you actually mean the product by that name? Or do you mean that as a general description of a TomTom GPS device?

Can you elaborate a bit more on your specific needs?

Let me start over. Would you be interested in a motorcycle type TomTom device (e.g., one of their Rider series) that will accept *.itn files if we can figure out how to generate those for you not using a phone? There's no way to directly connect a Rider and one of those phones, either. They're both going to act like USB 'clients', so there's no host to make them talk. You'd need a PC in the middle.

Hi.

Thanks for your reply. The reason i'm asking is that i'm building an app for Android and Iphone that will have access to routes via calls to a server. My thinking was it would be neat for the user to be able to upload routes to his smartphone and then just "beam" them over to the navigator device. But i understand there is no such connection, neither via Bluetooth nor cable.

Thanks for helping me clarify this. If you have any power over future development, would you agree this would be a good idea? Why isn't Bluetooth already being used for this kind of thing? Is it for licensing reasons?

Thanks for helping me clarify this. If you have any power over future development, would you agree this would be a good idea? Why isn't Bluetooth already being used for this kind of thing? Is it for licensing reasons?
To clarify things further - we (this web site and the moderators) are not affiliated with TomTom (the company), which is the reason for the header at the top of the web page.

We are all just users like you, and have no control over TomTom development plans.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Ask a Question