Traffic in Canada

dhn, I read the thread and am asking about the current situation - the fact is that yesterday (Friday) my TomTom couldn't "lock" on any station even on the one u mentioned. I guess during weekends it doesn't work

Apparently TomTom has split the two traffic services. the bluetooth data service is not available in Canada. The RDS-TMC service is US and Canada. Therefore, in Canada you have only one choice - the very limited coverage (as in the US) receiver service.

In the US, we have both, but TomTom wants to double-dip for the subscription. I do not know how long this has been, as both worked on my 910 and when my subscription was extended - TomTom support told me they were the same and worked both ways - no need for one of each.

On my 920 - the receiver does not work (subscription expired) while the data one does.

The only reason I do not always want to use the data is that when TomTom cost-reduced the x20-30 series, they removed the original separate connection for the remote and made it operate with blutooth only. Since you can only operate one bluetooth connection at a time - I would like to be able to still use the receiver at times.

Does Traffic still work in Toronto area

I finally got my Traffic Antenna for my 720go about 2 month ago. I plugged it in never had to activate and it worked excellent even gave me different routes. I noticed sometimes last week that I don't seem to get anymore traffic information. I still see the green circle and it says up to date but I don't get any info. I was sitting on the QEW between Hurontario and Walker Line today, traffic was pretty bad but I didn't get any updates at all, normally it would tell me that there is a faster route available.
I was under the impression, with the antenna you get 1 year free traffic or has that changed??

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
claudia

One year is correct. Call support at 866-486-6866.

They're open to 7:30 pm Eastern time.

Traffic

Well, I was gonna call TomTom support tonight and sure enough after work as soon as I merged on the QEW
at Hurontario I got the traffic updates back, however I am only getting 1 or 2 minutets delays now. I used to get up to 45 minutes delay.

What I've noticed, after being down since last October, is that the number of events is much lower. Typically there would be at least a dozen (for the entire GTA), where now there is only four or five. The events on the QEW seem few and far between -- not at all a reflection of reality. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the service. The events seem few and are not updated as quickly as they used to be,

One XL - TMC Traffic / Tom Tom Traffic - Toronto

I must say I am getting a bit frustrated.

I have the One XL. I ordered the FM Receiver close to a year ago (an inelegant solution when compared to our Garmin's Microsoft Direct Receiver), only to find out that the system is currently down in Toronto. I have called Tom Tom customer service a couple of times to find out when it will be up, and they have no answer, AND seem to have no system to contact us to let users know when it is back up. The only option is to leave this ugly antenna on my windshield all the time in hopes it might work.

Joy...

So, having perused the list of blue tooth phone options, I signed up for the Tom Tom Traffic awhile ago. The Blackberry Curve (8310) was not on the list, but because older bluetooth phones were, I thought it was an oversight. Nope! Tom Tom was gracious enough to return my money (glad it was not a stupid tax). Since then I have made upgrades to the Tom Tom's software, as well as the Blackberry. I am currently connecting to Tom Tom Services (Weather, a Tom Tom Traffic trial, etc.). So either the Blackberry update or the Tom Tom update made this possible.

However, the Tom Tom Traffic (I live in Toronto, so it is the only market I can compare), ALWAYS gives me a green circle to let me know there are no delays, even while I am in rush hour traffic. I want to use the re-routing feature, but as it always is seeing traffic on my route as rosy, it does not re-route.

Any thoughts? Not interested in calling Tom Tom as I really do not find I am getting satisfaction from them.

I do not want to buy the full subscription for Tom Tom Traffic if it is not working in Toronto.

If I can not get Traffic to work, might have to move to a Garmin, but overall I like the Tom Tom better.

My understanding is that you do need a subscription to Plus services for traffic to get a signal. Do you have that?

No.

According to the Web Site I could try a 30 day trial. After my TMC experience, I would like to make sure there is value before the cash outlay!

I don't do the traffic so have to ask if you have to notify them to start the 30-day trial. And have you?

Also, can you please delete your post in the other forum as you will get more visibility here and more users (hopefully) offering solutions.

Not good to repeat the same post in more than 1 thread as it fragments answers, etc.

Thanks.

Just waiting for DHN's rant....

Others have posted that in Canada:

PLUS (bluetooth) traffic doesn't work
Advanced Lane Guidance and Reality View don't work
The web map store doesn't work

And it appears that the antenna traffic is starting to not work too.

Who gives them antenna data in Canada? In the US the only antenna providers are Clearchannel (do they own radio stations in Canada?) and Navteq (never going to Tomtom)

I do know a previous firmware update broke the RDS traffic reception for Canada. I don't remember what version, though.

I suppose the poster could call support and hope they get a knowlegeable agent who knows what application did cause the breaking of that functionality. From his response, though, the agent he spoke with basically said 'who knows??'

Maybe second level support???

There used to be a member here who was essentially an expert in traffic as it involved the Toronto area but he hasn't shown up for months now.........(I don't even remember his name).

-----------------------------------------------
A little research later .....

Navcore 8x seemd to have killed the RDS working in Canada IF the antenna is the newer model with the usb connector. The older model with the jack for the antenna receptacle may still work in Canada.

Last edited:
I agree with you, I too hated splitting up the posts, but both forums were relevant, and you responded in both which makes it a bit more difficult to remove now...

I posted a link to firmware 8.014 (sorry can't remember which thread) that TomTom sent me a couple of months ago for the One 3rd Edition. This version corrected the problem with the USB antenna in Canada. I can certainly confirm that FM RDS has been working in Toronto today. It has flow information for all the 400-series highways (GTA, Hamilton and sometimes Niagara Region), QEW, Gardiner and the DVP. My GPS certainly re-routes based on flow information.

My suggestion, call them and have the rep get in touch with their support. Mention that you believe it's a software issue and that there is a new version available that fixes the problem.

Thank you for the firmware information for the RDS.

Any experience using the TomTom Services via a bluetooth cell phone? it is just a bit cleaner solution.

Thanks!

Eric

Ask a Question