iPhone HD Traffic works in Canada

I have the latest version on my iphone 3gs. I know that hd traffic is not available for Toronto, Canada. Yesterday I was just reading reviews for the app and some body just wrote 2 days ago
"UPDATE: I JUST NOTICED TODAY THAT TRAFFIC INFORMATION IS FINALLY AVAILABLE IN TORONTO..."

I then went to
Live Traffic

and now there is traffic shown for Toronto, Canada. It wasn't there a week ago.

So can some body tell me who already has HD traffic,if its actually there on the iphone for Toronto, Canada or is it only on the website. I dont want to spend 20$ and then find out its not on iphone.

Thank You for your help.

Tomtom hasn't announced HD traffic in Canada, but i do notice that the live traffic website and routes.tomtom.com have the HD traffic icon turned on.

I tried a route demo in Canada on my GO 740, and all I get is the error "This service is now available in the country where you are now traveling".

So it's hard to say one way or the other whether this will work on your iPhone.

Thanks for the help mvl. I ended up taking the risk and buying it, and it works. Traffic is available in Canada. Its perfect now and bye bye navigon.

Thanks for being a guinea pig. I'll rename and stick this thread so others know about its availability.

I just purchased it and it works in Montreal also.

Has anyone compared it to the web version at Live Traffic

In the app it seems like the traffic data is quite a bit behind what is shown on the web. It took 20 mins for the 11 minute delay on the 20 to show up on the map and it showed up in yellow instead of red like on the site. Has anyone else noticed this? I was hoping that since it updates the traffic every 2 minutes it would show the same data as on the web.

EDIT: Even though the color was different the time delay was the same so that might not be an issue.

Traffic Subscription Question

The subscription on my iPhone says "Traffic US". I wonder whether this now includes CDN coverage as well, or you have to buy a separate traffic subscription for Canada? That, coupled with out-of-country data roaming charges would make it unattractive for short visits.

Hd traffic toronto

I bought the traffic a couple days back, even though I live in toronto, canada and as yet Tomtom hasn't announced anything about hd traffic in canada.

It seems to work, although I haven't found it very accurate - ie, I got stuck in traffic enroute yesterday, but the Tomtom gave me the all green. I'm thinking they're still working on it.

The subscription on my iPhone says "Traffic US". I wonder whether this now includes CDN coverage as well, or you have to buy a separate traffic subscription for Canada? That, coupled with out-of-country data roaming charges would make it unattractive for short visits.

I purchased the "Traffic US" from the iPhone app and it does work in Montreal. I have been comparing it to the map at Live Traffic and it shows the same data and updates at the same time every few minutes or so. Had a glitch the first day with it not updating certain roads but seems ok now. So far it seems fairly accurate, I hit traffic right where it said I would on a boulevard on the way to work this morning.

Works in Barrie / GTA

Thanks guys. I just bought the Traffic US as well and can confirm it works fine in Barrie through GTA area as well. THANK YOU TOMTOM, FINALLY !

Thanks guys. I just bought the Traffic US as well and can confirm it works fine in Barrie through GTA area as well. THANK YOU TOMTOM, FINALLY !
How do you guys purchase Traffic US? I tried to purchase it in the app but I keep getting the message that it's not available in my area. Please help.

How do you guys purchase Traffic US? I tried to purchase it in the app but I keep getting the message that it's not available in my area. Please help.

Try again, they have the renamed the traffic now to "HD TRAFFIC US/Canada".

As an update, the TomTom traffic kicks ass, it knows about delays / accidents on small streets and side roads even. I commute 90km each way to and from work and it always saves me ton of time. Get it people, you won't regret it !

Ask a Question