Traffic in Canada

In VAUGHN (outside of TO) there is a great GPS store called: Radio World.

www.radioworld.ca

They can order it but they want it pre-paid and it will take 3 weeks. Their price was $129.99

Now seeing that I can't find it anywhere I may just bite the bullet and do it that way.

The 3 week wait is going to kill me.

I found it in the US at an on-line retailer but they want $30 just to ship it to Canada.

I am under the impression that they sell them at the Best Buy in the US. I may just take a drive to Buffalo and see if I can get one there.

D.

afeudale , thanks for the welcoming, I saw you were posting here after you oficially signed off from the gpspassion forums. But you make a mistake assuming that I finally switched to tomtom. I am just testing this 720 of a very close friend of mine. I am supposed to give him an honest unbiased opinion on wich unit to get; a now 400$ c550 or a new 500$ Tomtom 720. The task is not that easy. The more I test the core of a this 2 GPS's side by side (its digital maps and its routing engine) the more I keep falling in love with Garmin. There was no doubt in my mind , GArmin maps were superior, after reading several forums and sources for almost a year but Canada has taught me to give always the benefit of the doubt and search more with different sources and opinions (back in Cuba everything is blanck and white, no colors or even tints in between, and you only get the official version and are always presume guilty until you prove you are innocent). For that along with the freedom we enjoy here , I will always be more than grateful to this Country even if after 5 years I still rather have only my permanent resident status and keep my Cuban citizenship (for what it is worth the last one!!! lol lol lol lol lol)

Do not get me wrong either , the TomTom 720 is a fine unit with lots of features and customization, unlike Magellan well implemented by the way , but for me a GPS is basically a GPS AND HAS TO HAVE ACCURATE DIGITAL MAPS AND AN OPTIMAL ROUTING ENGINE. And in my opinion TomTom TeleAtlas maps fails in their accuracy versus the 1 and a half year old Navteq 2005 version maps. The routing engine on both seems similar , no big difference there with Tomtom really being more reallistic (assuming traffic lites, rests along long routes) in their ETA's most of the time. But with Garmin all has a big prize tag , Tomtom offers more for less money.

I am glad you like your unit though, by the way my GTM 20 receiver (Garmin RDS-TMC) was defective and GArmin just sent me a new one , even after the 1 year warranty. UPS left a notice on friday. I will do more field test with the new one to update my posted calculated coverage maps in Toronto if needed. But I guess because even the defcetive one was still showing levels around 40 here in Mississauga , the issue was not related to sensitivity/reception. So the maps should stay the same.

That is why Gadget-guy when you said you lost reception in Etobicoke I suspected you might be using the old version of the Tomtom RDS receiver. I hope you find the new version though. It started to sell recently in UK but keep in mind as afeudale posted European version will not work here in North America. FM spectrum is the same , 20 Mhz band with (87.5 to 108 Mhz), 20 channels separeted by 100 khz spacing. The only difference here in NA we use odd channels like 100.7 or 104.5 in Europe they use even channels like 99.0 or 102.2 (note the end number). Both receivers will be able to tune in to all the 200 possible channels (100 even + 100 odd) BUT THE EUROPEAN RDS-TMC RECEIVER DOES NOT HAVE THE PROPER AUTHORIZATION CODES TO DECODE TMC EVENTS HERE IN NA. That is why for the same reason some UK users that bought Garmin RDS-tmc receivers (by mistake of the supplier to the retailer) intended to France did not even work in UK.

Maybe Best BUY US has it but generally they only sell GPS units not their accesories, make sure it is the last Version 3, good luck

Keep us posted if possible in regards of better coverage , faster events downloads with the new receiver in the same area. It might help someelse out there.

Last edited:
I still keep posting in the gpspassion forum, even after being banned there several times , lol lol lol lol.

Gadget_guy as I posted before it all started to show traffic right after I accepted via HOME the offer to upgrade for free to the new 710.1485 NA 1.7 GB maps. Before the traffic conn was working but it did not showed anything for any city not even US cities. Now it works even in samall cities like Toledo, OH, Austin TX, and small nearby cities to big markets. I have seen traffic events reported on secondary roads , usually big avenues that have on/off ramps to highways. As I said recently apparently only major markets get delays reported as part of a congestion event , in small cities like buffalo or toledo it reports traffic congestion but no delay in minutes reported.

How to do it , very easy. Use your HOME to click on Operate My Tomtom , then YOU HAVE TO SET YOUR LOCATION IN A BIG CITY IN US. then plan routes or navigate as usual via HOME app or even just update traffic and click on browse map under traffic submenu. You will see a map with small red circles, click on one of them and you will see all traffic reports within that area. TOMTOM ONLY DOWNLOADS TRAFFIC RELEVANT TO YOUR CURRENT LOCATION (very good to minimize data costs thoruogh cell phone, I keep my bluetooth option disabled in my cellphone just on case , lol lol lol, eventhough it uses my PC internet conn for this simulations)

I forgot to add make sure yo had traffic enabled and bluetooth enabled on your tomtom before docking it to the PC. Power off your cellphone or just turn bluetooth on the cellphone off just in case to avoid data cost through your cell phone provider. I even tried the opposite , cell phone on with blue tooth and then I disabled my PC internet conn and HOME stopped downloading traffic anymore , SO IT USES YOUR PC INTERNET CONN WHEN operated via your HOME app.

Now I am testing the ability of the unit to go back to the original route once the traffic congestion gets cleared. Let say you were re-routed automatically due to an accident 10 km ahead of you but (in this case my position stays the same) after a while that same traffic report was cleared , no accident anymore, so theoretically the unit should remember that and go back to the original route. In most cases you do not need this because you are driving along highways at high speed but if rerouted paralel to the highway it should get you back t othe same highway as soon as the accident gets cleared by the traffic provider. As I have said I want this to be almost perfect lol lol lol.

my go just went crazy!!! with this test, keeps saying busy planning a route showing the orange progress bar flashing. It would have been the perfect example because it choose a paralel road to the traffic congestion.

Moderators how could I post some pictures of this?

now it refuses to download more traffic info!!!!!, well.... my freinds dropped by to go out, let me get some fresh air for me and the 720 lol lol lol , will see after that if it still wants to show some traffic!!!. I guess there is an issue with the traffic server now.

Yes!! It does go back to the original route after the traffic event is cleared.

Well , looks like it was a temporary issue with the traffic server because it worked well outside. Fresh air is always good even for tomtom , lol lol lol.

I just tested a very simple route along a highway that had a 22 min delay and the first replan due to traffic took me through paralel roads then after a few minutes when the jam cleared automatically tomtom went back to the original route, as it should.

I bit the bullet and ordered one from gpscheap.com, with 2 day shipping $152 and they have them in stock. Tigergps wanted $60 for shipping!

Sorry, but I'm still confused (my normal state...).

What is the motivation for TomTom to activate traffic reception for your antenna if you don't buy it from them and subscribe to TomTom+?

no motivation at all. tomtom just gives you 2 options to get traffic info, either from them (TomTom Plus Traffic) or directly from their traffic provider TTN via their RDS-TMC receiver. It is up to you to decide which one to use. Either way YOU ARE USING A TOMTOM GPS UNIT NOT A GARMIN OR A MAGELLAN. And that is the real motivation!!!.

By the way my replacement GTM 20 receiver for my Garmin unit works like a charm , it locks to the signal in less than 20 seconds and downloads all the traffic events (around 20 today) in less than 1 minute!!! By the time I exit the driveway I have all the traffic events in the GTA (TO area). Message count increases at 1 message per second rate as it should. I will post coverage areas , places were it loses the signal to give you guys an idea of what to expect from your TomTom RDS-TMC receiver.

gadget_guy: Could you post if your Tomtom 720 using the RDS-TMC receiver (even the old one , it does not matter) shows Delay times for every Slow Traffic event reported here in Toronto? Unlike the Tomtom Plus traffic service that does show Delay times , RDS-TMC based traffic services does not have that capability , but I would like one of you guys to confirm that. Thanks.

Well l actually I got today 2 events with Delay times over 1 min. (4 and 3 min respectively). So I guess I was wrong. About the coverage area my maps are wrong as well, the new replacement GTM 20 receiver shows higher signal levels at my driveway compared to the old defective one. I went today in the morning to Hamilton (6 km west of dundas/guelph ln) and also in the afternoon North to Stouffville Rd /Ninth line and I never lost the signal. Green light all the time and both times I received all the traffic events (around 15) within 1 minute of power up. I guess the oficial TTN coverage maps do represent the area were the traffic receiver would work ok. I am under the impression that my Garmin today DID NOT went back to the original route after the traffic event was cleared as the Tomtom 720 did the other day. But again the route Garmin was showing was the first one because it already new there was a traffic problem, I mean I did not Avoided it like I did with Tomtom. will do more testing tomorrow.

I have never seen a delay time greater than 1 min.

Although I know from my 2 years of driving this same commute that the delay is much more than 1 min. ;)

I will keep an eye out and see if that ever changes.

I managed to order the latest (proper) antenna from a place in the US for a very reasonable price. It should get here shortly I hope.

I am anxious to see if it will make a difference compared to the one I have now.

There was an update to the software tonight when I got home.... I wonder if there were any Traffic enhancements in the update? I can't seem to find any info on what the updates include.

Has anyone been able to extend the length of the RDS antenna? Where I have my unit mounted I have to basically toss the antenna across the dashboard to be in the windshield.... not overly pleasing to the eye.

D.

Thanks, Derek.

Should I, shouldn't I? .......:)

(still irritated about being 'downgraded on my map ....see another thread)

dhn it all depends wether you commute or drive a lot from 5 am to 8 pm MON - FRI within the coverage area. Outside that timeframe or farther North of HWY 9 , EAST of Oshawa and WEST of Hamilton it makes no sense to purchase the traffic receiver, even if it comes with a 1 year free trial like the tomtom does. Even within the GTA if you only commute for a few minutes along only major/minor roads it does not make any sense either because they just report MAJOR INCIDENTS ONLY for a very few MAJOR AVENUES.

I was in Ajax today and in Newmarket. Got signal all the time but along HWY 9from Duffering St to 400 my Garmin GTM 20 lost the signal (it had it from 404 to bathurst) and got it back a bit after I started to drive south on the 400. I got another 3 min delay reported along 401 W. This morning the TTN service via Garmin was reporting 2 road conditions , Snow on 400 and Black Ice on 404. I fired up the tomtom 720 and using the cellphone data conn I saw only the Snow close to Barrie. this time also 4 red triangle with the snow flake icon inside , over an area south-west of Barrie. IDK why even both GPS use the same traffic provider , TomTom only showed the Snow report.

trafficinfo (sorry haven't seen your real name anywhere),

How do you see ALL the traffic that is coming into the device. Can you do this on the TT720? I do the data feed right now through my phone but I am not sure how to find the traffic coming in.

They just started this service in July and I imagine it will improve with time (read subscribers).

Does anyone know if TT720 records you data from you route and sends it to TT when you do the sync for eval of data patterns.

Can you imagine a unit that knows how many stop lights on the route and what traffic will be like and recommends another route based on sample data from another user. Of course people with their "secret" routes will turn of the data sending otherwise the other route will then get busy. Example would be people who use Dundas to get across Oakville instead of the QEW. Dundas is busy but still moves faster than the QEW most days in the pm rush hour.

When do you think the traffic service will tie directly into the government's traffic data so it is 24 hours a day and uses the sensors in the road to gauge traffic speed. All this data is out there (and IMHO wasted). Since it's the government it should be public domain (maybe it is).

Nathan...

Ask a Question