Toshiba 4GB SDHC Card

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
I need some help with a Toshiba 4 GB SDHC card. If I insert this card in my Go720 and then turn on the 720, I get the TomTom startup sound (which normally does not play). If I wait long enough, the TomTom apllication starts. When I hook the unit to my computer via USB, I cannot explore the contents of the SDHC card - Windows prompts me to insert a disk in Drive G (the internal memory of the 720 is Drive H) when in fact the 4GB card is inserted in the slot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Bill C

I need some help with a Toshiba 4 GB SDHC card. If I insert this card in my Go720 and then turn on the 720, I get the TomTom startup sound (which normally does not play). If I wait long enough, the TomTom apllication starts. When I hook the unit to my computer via USB, I cannot explore the contents of the SDHC card - Windows prompts me to insert a disk in Drive G (the internal memory of the 720 is Drive H) when in fact the 4GB card is inserted in the slot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Bill C

Try a pin reset and if that doesn't work, ensure the card is formatted for fat32.

Thanks, DHN,

I did a pin reset with the same results. I have verified with a card reader that the card is formatted with FAT32. I cannot find the speed of the card listed anywhere on the packaging. Would it make any difference in the reading of the card?

Thanks, DHN,

I did a pin reset with the same results. I have verified with a card reader that the card is formatted with FAT32. I cannot find the speed of the card listed anywhere on the packaging. Would it make any difference in the reading of the card?

What is on the sd card when viewed with Windows Explorer?

When the card is inserted in a reader, if I double click the explorer icon for the card, it shows the Drive letter (there are no files on the card yet). If I right click the card, it shows the graphic pie chart which verifies the 4GB capacity and also reports that the card is formatted with FAT32.

When the card is inserted in the 720, if I double click the exploere icon for the card, Windows tells me to insert a card for Drive G. If I right click the card, it show the graphic with 0 GB capacity (just like if there were no card in the unit.)

Last edited:
Thanks again, DHN.

I formatted the card using in the card reader with the utlity that you linked me to. Same results. I called TomTom support and they said that SDHC cards are not supported. I told them that I have been reading on the forums, and this was just not the case. The support technician said that there was no way that SDHC was supported.

I bought the Toshiba card at Sams Club, so I will probably will be able to return it. I gues I will try another brand of card, but I am afraid that no one else will be as generous as far as returning goes. Is there any performance difference between a SD card and a SDHC card? The local TigerDirect store has a Transend brand 4 GB SD card for about $19.00. If there is no differnce between the two, I might gibe the SD card a go.

Last edited:
You will find some Support people know more about the product than others do; unfortunately, that doesn't prevent the 'knowledge challenged' from spouting incorrect information from time to time, like the one you experienced about x20 (and x30) models not supporting sdhc cards. They do. There are issues if you go above 4-gigs in size, but that's another story.

I have been using a Trascend 4GB SDHC Class 6 card for about 2 weeks now with no problem. I put my NA map with larger POI (from GO920) and it is working flawlessly. There are no lag time what so ever when navigating.

Before you take that card back why don't you try a standard SD card. That way you will ensure there's not a problem with the 720's card slot. It really won't matter what size it is or what's on it, just insert it and see if you can read it. If you can't read a standard SD card you'll have some ammo for TT when you call them.

Bama,

I have put a 2GB and 1GB card (plain SD) in the slot and The 720 reads them fine. I still think I will try another brand of 4 GB SDHC card just to see if the Toshiba was the problem. I will report back here when I try the new card.
-Bill C

I ended up with a Transcend 4 GB SD card (not SDHC). Works fine, and cheap at only $17.00! Thanks all for your help in this matter.
-Bill C

You will find some Support people know more about the product than others do; unfortunately, that doesn't prevent the 'knowledge challenged' from spouting incorrect information from time to time, like the one you experienced about x20 (and x30) models not supporting sdhc cards. They do. There are issues if you go above 4-gigs in size, but that's another story.

I bet that if there was a poll on here on whether or not SDHC cards worked on there TT x20, the over-whelming majority would be yes.

I am using a cheap Adata 4GB SDHC class 6 card with no problems. Even though the manufactures have to meet minimum standards on there cards, it seems that not all brands work in a TT.

I am having problems with my SDHC card (4GB). It is a PQI 4GB SDHC Class 6 card, I puchased since it was cheap. My PC dosent have a SDHC slot, so I use TT as the card reader.
When I try copying files to the card using Windows Explorer after connecting TT (without Home running), it gives me copy errors with random files, I was trying to copy mp3 files. When I try to copy about 5-10 files of about 4MB-6MB each this happens. The problem is more prominent if I create a folder in the TT and try to copy the files there, though this might be some random thing.
I have ordered a SDHC card reader, once it comes I can be sure if the card is the problem.
I then have to disconnect and connect TT again. The card is formatted in FAT32. I even try multiple formats and pin resets but the same effect. I was able to use regular SD card without any issues, though I copied files using PC, I think I should try to copy with the TT.
But the files that are copied, they work alright and I am able to play those mp3 from TT.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ask a Question