TomToms not ready for Windows 7

GAW

TomTom Model(s)
For those of you that don't torture yourselves enough here and on related forums, be warned that if you must give the Windows 7 Beta a try - be ready for "device not recognized" when you try to set up the USB link with your TomTom. Home installs and runs OK - drivers not ready for the devices though

Windows 7 is supposed to be the release that should have followed XP, but Vista was rushed in early instead. It is based on Vista, but is supposed to be (eventually) quicker and also more stable (it is NOT in the Beta) - plus new features

I assume TomTom is working with Microsoft on updated drivers, so by the time it is released - all should be well. It does seem to come up quicker and respond better then Vista.

If anyone wants to go the Beta upgrade installation route - as advised in this forum - do a full backup first (as in restorable complete computer image) - or you will almost certainly be very sorry.

Edit - Windows 7 has a troubleshooting module, and it got the Beta to recognize my 920. Now I can sit back and enjoy all the "Blue Screens" occurring due to other issues. - but not TomTom.

Last edited:
I am using Vista Ultimate and Windows 7 on a second partition. TT Home did not fully instal on Vista but did instal ok in W7. My Go 530 installed first time in W7

Started with build 7000 & now on build 7002

I had Vista installed a bunch of times but always reverted back to XP. [plenty plenty of legitiment reasons]

For some strange reason, i'm totally enjoying the whole 7 experience. I seriously don't have one bad thing to say about it. No BSOD's. Unless somthing radically changes.....i'll be sticking with it.

As with every app & game loaded on 7.... TTHomes working just fine.

How did you get build 7002?

Windows 7 is described as being what Vista should have been released as, but they rushed Vista ot too early.

I have had BSOD's due to antivirus (common problem) and having a network drive (also common problem so far).

However, TomTom Home software works OK. It will not be so hard to move up from XP this time. either.

How did you get build 7002?

Windows 7 is described as being what Vista should have been released as, but they rushed Vista ot too early.

I have had BSOD's due to antivirus (common problem) and having a network drive (also common problem so far).

However, TomTom Home software works OK. It will not be so hard to move up from XP this time. either.

Actually, it's build 7022 [my bad]

And can be found by searching.

So far, i'm experiencing great success with 7. Fortunatly, my only BSOD was GPU based and
fixed easily with Nvidia pre-rls beta driver set.

Proper network mapping and having your domain shares in order.....you'll experience no network issues.
My NAS and media servers were set up faster and easier than with any previous OS.

AVG & NOD32 working absolutly flawless. No issues there.

I agree with you, I think average folks will find the transition to 7 rather painless.

I'm thinking we should see RC1 released allot faster than anyone imagined. Wouldn't be surprised
if it goes gold to OEM by new years...and retail 1st qtr. 2010

For those of you that don't torture yourselves enough here and on related forums, be warned that if you must give the Windows 7 Beta a try - be ready for "device not recognized" when you try to set up the USB link with your TomTom. Home installs and runs OK - drivers not ready for the devices though.

I has the same problem until I pressed the small reset button under my TT. Now all well and good... Windows 7 work well here... A lot better than vista anyway

Hitting the reset button under my TT worked!!!

Thank you for that advice, I did that and now Windows 7 Enterprise found my device :)

Have never had any issues with any of my devices,
Running windows 7 (7600) & TTH 2.7.3.1894

Ask a Question