TomTom routing question

I just used my TomTom One to get me to ball games in Philadelphia and New York (Shea Stadium). For the most part, I loved it and it worked great.

There were one or two items that I would like to improve next trip>

Leaving CT to get south, TomTom loves I95/George Washington Bridge. It routes me in that direction no matter where I am. If you have ever driven this, I hate those roads. When I try to bypass them, TomTom justs takes me to the new cross route and back to I95. Is there any way I can tell the unit to use the Merritt Parkway, Tappen Zee Bridge, Garden State Parkway alternative? Is there any way to use a program like Google map to plan an alternative route and upload it to TomTom. Is there any way to list an alternative (preferred) road to travel?

Also, when I am looking for POI and doing a find, the names listed are lengthy and cut off (they all end with ....) and I can not distinguish one for another. Is there any way to display the entire POI name?

Now, if only we can somthing about parking at Shea. :)

Thanks

Ron Filipek

Leaving CT to get south, TomTom loves I95/George Washington Bridge. It routes me in that direction no matter where I am. If you have ever driven this, I hate those roads. When I try to bypass them, TomTom justs takes me to the new cross route and back to I95. Is there any way I can tell the unit to use the Merritt Parkway, Tappen Zee Bridge, Garden State Parkway alternative? Is there any way to use a program like Google map to plan an alternative route and upload it to TomTom. Is there any way to list an alternative (preferred) road to travel?

Yes you can use Google maps to create a route called an itinerary. Look at this thread - https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=2743

Alternatively, you can also try avoid part of route and select the I95 and see if the calculated route is better afterwards.

Also, when I am looking for POI and doing a find, the names listed are lengthy and cut off (they all end with ....) and I can not distinguish one for another. Is there any way to display the entire POI name?

I believe that is a screen size limitation. I believe the only solution for that is to have a shorter description or name.

The screen names are either from the original TomTom info or from the POI I downloaded from this site. Any suggestions regarding how to fix this?

TomTom loves I95/George Washington Bridge.
It sure does. I think maybe they get a cut on the toll. It kept trying to get me off of the Garden State while driving south toward Baltimore and send me over to the GW Bridge--and I was already west of the Hudson!

I've prepared an itinerary with google maps that takes me my way, but I wasn't using it at that particular time.

I used the google maps feature and the script to create an itinerary to get me from CT to Philly. Will I have to create a reverse itinerary to use or is there a way for TomTom to show me the reverse path?

Ron

I used the google maps feature and the script to create an itinerary to get me from CT to Philly. Will I have to create a reverse itinerary to use or is there a way for TomTom to show me the reverse path?

Ron
TomTom won't do it, but you can.

Open up the .itn file in Notepad, reverse the order of all the entries, and swap the "4" and "3" at the end of the start and the destination. Then load the resulting file under a new name.

Since I started to work with this capability I've been accumulating a database of .itn entries for places I normally go and for waypoints that let me control my routing. When I accumulate enough of them I can synthesize my own .itn without even having to go to google or use the script on the Web site. I've even built some from scratch by getting the lat and long from google maps or google earth.

Last edited:

Ask a Question