Note to TomTom: Please Fix Your Routing Engine

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720
I've been studying, reviewing, and comparing gps units for a couple months now in preparation for a purchase. I compared everything from interface, maps, features, and the implementation of said features. After weighing the pros and cons of what I consider the 3 major players in the game (Garmin, TomTom, and Magellan), I decided on TomTom. I fealt that after weighing all the differnt abilities of all the devices, The Go 720 was the best bang for the buck at $348.

I feel the TomTom GUI is clean, clear and easy to view. Compared to Garmin, which I feel looks like my 5 year old son got a hold of some magic markers and went to town. Magellan has a nice interface, but the implemenation of their features left it in a distance third.

I fealt the amount of features per dollar is where TomTom really shines. There units are packed with great features. The other two...well..just aren't. That all being said, I guess I tried to explain away the one flaw TomTom has, their routing engine.

I read all the reviews, and tried to draw my own conclu...err excuse why it wouldn't be the same with me because I'd figure out a way for it to work (routing engine issues). I was blinded by the beauty of the device and all the rich features it had. As much as I still try I can't, in good conscience, "explain away" all the routing issues the TomTom engine has in it. So this is my Christmas wish for TomTom. Please...PLEASE fix your routing engine so that we all can enjoy your beautiful devices.

An example for those who might doubt. I live in Northern Alabama, about an hour from Birmingham. Yesterday I went to dinner at PF Chang's at the Summit in Birmingham. Since I've only been there a couple of times I figured this was a great chance to use my new Go 720. Well I knew as much to know that I needed to stay on 65 South, and then head East on 20 once I reach Birmingham. Well the TT routing engine thought differently wanting me to get off well north of Birmingham and then using a secondary highway for the last 1/4 of the trip. This would take me through the heart of Birmingham...not the best route to take to say the least.

Route it should have taken

Route it took

Is it the fastest route? Well maybe in theory, but not in practice. A simple feature that allows us to use higways as much as possible would fix this.

Another thing I noticed, and others can try. I decided to demo the route, and just see where it had me going. Hey TomTom, your routing engine will get me a ticket is I stay on schedule!!! All throughout the route demo the unit runs at speeds ABOVE the speed limit!!!

As an experiment, try running the route on Google Maps.

If you look at the links, they are google map links. But you gave me an idea. I checked the route via Google Earth which uses Tele Atlas maps, and I got the same route as Google Maps gave me.

I've been studying, reviewing, and comparing gps units for a couple months now in preparation for a purchase. I compared everything from interface, maps, features, and the implementation of said features. After weighing the pros and cons of what I consider the 3 major players in the game (Garmin, TomTom, and Magellan), I decided on TomTom. I fealt that after weighing all the differnt abilities of all the devices, The Go 720 was the best bang for the buck at $348.

I feel the TomTom GUI is clean, clear and easy to view. Compared to Garmin, which I feel looks like my 5 year old son got a hold of some magic markers and went to town. Magellan has a nice interface, but the implemenation of their features left it in a distance third.

I fealt the amount of features per dollar is where TomTom really shines. There units are packed with great features. The other two...well..just aren't. That all being said, I guess I tried to explain away the one flaw TomTom has, their routing engine.

I read all the reviews, and tried to draw my own conclu...err excuse why it wouldn't be the same with me because I'd figure out a way for it to work (routing engine issues). I was blinded by the beauty of the device and all the rich features it had. As much as I still try I can't, in good conscience, "explain away" all the routing issues the TomTom engine has in it. So this is my Christmas wish for TomTom. Please...PLEASE fix your routing engine so that we all can enjoy your beautiful devices.

An example for those who might doubt. I live in Northern Alabama, about an hour from Birmingham. Yesterday I went to dinner at PF Chang's at the Summit in Birmingham. Since I've only been there a couple of times I figured this was a great chance to use my new Go 720. Well I knew as much to know that I needed to stay on 65 South, and then head East on 20 once I reach Birmingham. Well the TT routing engine thought differently wanting me to get off well north of Birmingham and then using a secondary highway for the last 1/4 of the trip. This would take me through the heart of Birmingham...not the best route to take to say the least.

Route it should have taken

Route it took

Is it the fastest route? Well maybe in theory, but not in practice. A simple feature that allows us to use higways as much as possible would fix this.

Another thing I noticed, and others can try. I decided to demo the route, and just see where it had me going. Hey TomTom, your routing engine will get me a ticket is I stay on schedule!!! All throughout the route demo the unit runs at speeds ABOVE the speed limit!!!

I agree with the point ajsasr made conserning staying on major highways. I had exactly the same thought yesterday. I was routing back home, which should have been a 4 lane most of the way. But tomtom took me off the 4 lane on 2 very dangerous county roads. Not a route that anyone would have taken.

In fact, it wants to do the same thing ( out me on state or county 2 lane, when 4 lane is availible) on other local routes. And yes, the 4 lane is on the map, it just does not route that way.

We do need a routing option of "use 4 lane or major highway as much as possible".

TomTom, listen up.

Randy R.

Yesterday, it took me 4 miles out of the way just to stay on a numbered State route. I chose "fastest" route. TT assumed that a 2-lane paved State Route 4 miles out of the way through a heavily populated area was faster than a perfectly good 2-lane paved road with fewer traffic lights & intersections. Posted speed limits were also higher on the shorter route. In this case "shorter" was much faster.

Numbered state routes are no different than regular city streets. In fact, numbered state routes overlay existing city streets. To assume something several miles out of the way is faster or better based on state route numbering is erroneous.

It needs to treat all paved roads with equal status.

And I think I'll stick with choosing "shorter" route from now on.

Ask a Question