TomTom One XL - Update Problem with POIs

I'm new to this forum. I've looked through and found lots of great posts.

However the problem that led me here, I have not found discussed in my searches of the previous posts. So if there is a discussion, please point me to it.

About a month ago I purchased a TomTom One XL and did the backup of it. Last weekend I decided to hook it up to the PC again and get another backup after using it for a little while, my prefs, etc. At that time, there was a TomTom One application update and a Home update. I ran a backup and performed the updates. After the upgrade I got a screen with a red X on it during bootup. I reapplied the TomTom Application and it seemed okay.

Mid last week I realize that all the default POIs are missing. Gas, Restaurants, Zoo, etc. All of them give me the result 'No POI found!' when I try to find them. My custom POIs and addons work without a problem, including ones that I downloaded via Home.

No problem, I'll just restore the backup. I click through and the restore screen runs for about three minutes and then says complete. Still no joy when I look up a POI.

At this point, I'm at a loss. It's still working to guide me from point A to point B, but no POIs.

Thanks for any advice that you can offer. I'll be calling support this week when I get time, but if I can avoid that I'd prefer to do so.

Chuck

Hello Chuck, sorry to hear about your frustration. It looks like your unit is missing the POI.dat file.
Connect your XL to your computer.
Go and explore your computer where HOME saves the backups. I believe the default is My Documents/TomTom/HOME/Backup. You will find the folder back up there. Go through the folder and look for your map folder. Go into the map folder and look for the POI.dat file. Copy the file and place the poi.dat file into your XL's Map folder.

Good Luck

Hello Chuck, sorry to hear about your frustration. It looks like your unit is missing the POI.dat file.

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, this does not seem to be the issue. I still cannot get any listings.

The file size is 4k under windows explorer if that offers a clue.

Just as a follow up, I've called TomTom support. At the end of the first call I was left with a formatted device with the application installed and downloading a new map. I installed the map and continued to have problems including a blank screen and chronic reboots after agreeing to the legal disclaimer. Another call to Support and a few resets and flash clearings, I was given an RMA number to return the unit for an exchange with.

I have to say that I did hesitate to call support but those that I had on the phone were good and easy to work with. I had a fairly short hold time on the first call and under 2 minutes on the second call.

Ask a Question