TomTom One "Poor GPS Reception"

Hi, i have tried to find an answer to this question on the forum but to no avail, i apologise if it is already covered somewhere.

I have a TOMTOM One IQ Routes and all has been working well for about four months or so. Today I connected it to my PC and installed all of the recommended updates - GPS Quickfix [or something similar] was included in the update.

Now my device will not pick up any satelites at all and there is a message in the bottom right hand corner saying "Poor GPS reception".

The problem is not due to my location as I have had the device in my car on a journey of over 100 miles and nothing changes.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to rectify this problem then I would appreciate your help.

many thanks in anticipation.

Graham

It is more difficult for the unit to grab a gps signal if the tomtom is not stationary in an open position.

Hi, and thanks for your reply.

I have used the sat nav in the same way as always and it normally picks up a signal withing 2-3 minutes. I have tried it whilst stationary and whilst moving but to no avail.

Use Explorer to delete everything in the ephem folder on your unit.

Go here: C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\ephemeris and delete all sub folders found there.

Connect to Home and a new quickfix file should download. See if that helps.

Hi.

Did as you suggest but no change.

Investigating further I found that when I check the GPS Status the Black/Orange disc in the right hand corner is not rotating. Is this a "hardware" fault or something I can put right? I suppose i should also ask, could this have been caused by a software update or just bad timing?

If it isn't spinning, that often is an indication of hardware problems.

Is your unit under warranty?

Hi dhn and thanks once again for your response.

I have had it for less than a year so I guess it is still under warranty.

Could I have caused this problem? Just a thought but after planning a journey I needed to make later in the day, I left the unit on my laptop for about two hours. I feel sure that I have done this before, but all seemed to be working before this.

That shouldn't have done anything.

Call support at 866-486-6866 for information regarding the return of the unit.

Ask a Question