IPone tomtom app says poor GPS Reception need help?

The GPS receiver in the iPhone is crap, I would estimate the receiver is on a par with SiRF-II kit we were using 5 years ago! I have seen excuses that the reason the receiver is a poor performer is due to interference from the phone transmitter and Bluetooth/ WiFi all being in the same case, I don't subscribe to that train of thought because HTC products work very well in this area.
Try running the software up on the phone and stand still outside away from buildings let it acquire the signal before putting the phone in your car, this shouldn't be necessary every day as long as its used on a regular basis - Mike

How come my iphone is not getting any GPS Signal? it says poor GPS Reception? Please help me get this fixed?

The iphone finds it's location three ways
1) satellite GPS
2) wifi router registry
3) AT&T tower location

Usually the satellite OK outdoors, and the other two features backup the GPS indoors.

Are you getting an AT&T signal where you are? Have you told AT&T to stop transmitting location info to applications on your phone?

I phone Signal

How come my iphone is not getting any GPS Signal? it says poor GPS Reception? Please help me get this fixed?

Guy's how does the i Phone get its signal? Does it need the phone to have reception, does it use any of your phones minutes? does it just work like a normal tom tom that get in cars?

For ?59.99 what maps do you get? Is that the entire UK or what?

Last thing, if you buy the app on your i-phone using your i-tunes account and say loose your phone in 6 months can you simply download it again to your replacement phone at no extra cost?

Thanks for your help

GPS data is received by the phones GPS receiver built in to the iPhone, it doesn't require any data connection or phone signal, neither does it cost anything to use. The iPhone can use basic triangulation based upon the positions of the phone transmitters to achieve a rough approx position prior to it acquiring the GPS signal, the accuracy of the triangulation isn't very good compared to what you get with the GPS data.
For ?59:99 you get all of the UK and Ireland, or for ?79:99 you get all of Western Europe including the UK.

If you break/ damage your phone or upgrade to a new one at some future point all apps purchased for your first phone will automatically be applied to your new device as long as you associate the new iPhone with the same iTunes account as the prefious phone (I have a 3G and 3GS and they both have the same applications installed) - this doesn't cost anything - Mike

Mike mentioned two of the three ways an iPhone finds its location.

The third is wifi registry. Each wifi router has a unique serial number that is broadcast even if you set your router to hidden SSID. Skyhook has wardriven the main streets of big cities, and geolocated all these routers.

The iPhone uses this registry as another source to find its location. This is particularly helpful in urban downtown skyscraper districts. Lots of wifi around, and the GPS satellite signal may be useless as it reflects off the buildings.

How come my iphone is not getting any GPS Signal? it says poor GPS Reception? Please

Yup, im facing the same issue like u.
B4 this i m managed to use, no problem but after updated to 4.3.3 version, baseband 06:15:00 it no work....

i had tried Motion X GPS Drive, Papago, XGPS etc navigator in Iphone it is still no function....

There are a few things to do to improve reception: make sure your device is mounted on the screen with a clear field of view in all directions; I've found it appears more sensitive when using in the portrait mode; and if all else fails, purchase a TT car mount at about GBP 70, which enhances GPS reception.

Ask a Question