Poor GPS reception Tomtom XL340

G'day All from Down Under,
I bought my son a new Tomtom XL340 last Christmas. He's used it maybe two or three times, the last time successfully about 6 months or so ago. He took it out of the box a couple of days ago to use again, and it won't connect to the satellites.

This is what we've done over the last two days to try and get it working...
1. Fully charged the unit.
2. Left it out in the open for more than 10 minutes. The outline of the satellite bars are showing (5 bars) but they don't fill, and the blue/yellow circle doesn't move.
3. Pressed the "Restore Factory Settings" option
4. Held the On/Off key down for 15 seconds to get the drumbeat and reset the device.
5. Downloaded the latest GPS fix.
6. Formatted the unit and copied all the back-up files, from the USB thumbdrive we made last December, back to the unit.
7. Re-updated the device via TomTomHome.
8. Left it out in the open for 30 minutes.
9. Same satellite bar outlines, and same blue/yellow stationary circle.

Any thoughts on where-to-from-here?

Version 8.083 showing on bottom right screen under blank satellite bars.

Cheers, Al.

Since you have done all the things I'd suggest, just remember the unit has a 1 year warranty.........:eek:

Back again,

Can I just clarify the "reset" procedure?

Press and hold the on/off button for 15 seconds. The Tomtom logo appears and the drumbeat sounds. Then it loads a page of specifications about the unit. White letters on a black background.

And that screen stays there. I had to turn the unit back off and then on again to get to the usual Tomtom navigator screen. Is that how it's supposed to work, or is it supposed to automatically move past the specifications page onto something else?

Thanks for any info.

That screen is the diagnostic screen. On all models, if you hold the power button and continue to hold it past the bootup, it then results in that screen showing.

Bottom line: once you hear the drums and see the splashscreen, let go of the button.

Ask a Question