Tomtom one - Doesn't power up

TomTom Model(s)
XL Live
Hi all,

My step daughter has a one V4, that doesn't power up, wont reset using the reset button, and isn't recognised by my computer when attached via usb. The only thing that happens is the power light comes on and thats it.

Is this now just a paperweight, or is there anything practical to try?

Thanks

Frank

Last edited by a moderator:
The battery may be kaput on the unit. Is there 'clunk' sound when you connect the unit to a computer?

Do you have a mains charger that you can keep the device connected to for two or three hours?

The battery may be kaput on the unit. Is there 'clunk' sound when you connect the unit to a computer?

Do you have a mains charger that you can keep the device connected to for two or three hours?

Hi,

There is no sound at all and the only means to charge is either in car or via computer.

The worst case scenarios....

It's possible the battery has failed so completely that it won't allow the unit to power up even when on external power.

It's also possible it's been fried internally by someone plugging in the wrong power supply - even for a moment.

Finally it's possible that the proper TT charger went faulty and fried it.

For the first situation, if you are prepared to open the case, you can buy a replacement battery for it to try, but there's still no guarantee it will work.
There are several sets of battery changing instructions and tutorial videos on the web.

For the second or third, is a bin-job, I'm afraid.

The worst case scenarios....

It's possible the battery has failed so completely that it won't allow the unit to power up even when on external power.

It's also possible it's been fried internally by someone plugging in the wrong power supply - even for a moment.

Finally it's possible that the proper TT charger went faulty and fried it.

For the first situation, if you are prepared to open the case, you can buy a replacement battery for it to try, but there's still no guarantee it will work.
There are several sets of battery changing instructions and tutorial videos on the web.

For the second or third, is a bin-job, I'm afraid.

Thanks for that...probably looks like santa may have to visit her!

Cheers

Frank

Remind Santa that there are still some models being offered in the UK that come with lifetime map subscriptions, too!

Ask a Question