Tomtom ONE 3rd edition 1Gb Europe->USA?

Hello all, first post from me.

I am going on holiday to the USA soon and would like to install a map to help me navigate my way around LA. I know there is virtually no space available on my Tomtom as it has the GB/Europe map installed.

I have backed up the GB/Europe map to my Mac. My question is - can I now purchase the USA map, delete the GB/Europe map from the Tomtom and install the USA map, then switch back to the GB/Europe map when I get home to the UK(and back up the USA map to my mac)?

I have only a week before going so I'm hoping this will work.

But, for the future, is it possible to install a bigger memory card, so I can keep both USA and Europe on the Tomtom, and (excuse my dim-ness in this matter :rolleyes:) what sort of card is it and do you have to un-screw the unit to get to it? And also, what is the maximum card size this model can accept?

Thanks in advance
jane

Welcome to TTF.

In answer to your first part, yes you can. There are many One versions so I assume your current map resides on the sd card you have?

I don't want to give bad information (I've been doing too much of that lately :eek: ) so look for UK based supermod Mikealder to pop into this thread (or some other UK based member, Andy??) who can give proper advise regarding the appropriate card size (I really want to say 2gb but I won't .. :p )

While it would be possible to move your existing maps to your Mac successfully if done correctly, and also possible to purchase the U.S. maps for your unit and install them (in internal memory - your unit has no provision for an SD card), I'm not sure if the return on the investment is that good.

If you purchase the map, it will run you ?45 (about US$72) + VAT. For another US$18, you have the TomTom list price of a ONE 130S ( ONE 130?S - Car navigation - TomTom ), and our sales taxes run about 8% if you buy it at a retail outlet directly.

If you have even a short time available to you when you arrive, you might consider that approach. The ONE 130S even pronounces the street names.

hi again and thanks for the replies. I think, given the short timescale (we leave on Saturday) I need to stick with what I've got and try to create more space on the disk. It is only ?35 for the maps so not too expensive. I'm just worried that a new one won't arrive in time.

I am running HOME on my mac and have selected Back Up And Restore -> Back Up Now. It is taking quite a while but I think I'm doing the right thing. If anyone knows better, please do tell me.

I'm now wondering if I should update the installed europe map and back that up before trying to switch. I'm on version 715.1689 which I guess is pretty old. will it cause a problem if I don't update?

jane

If its a One Third Edition then its only got internal flash memory and no card slot, in this case all you can do is copy the European map to the computer then purchase and install the USA map using TomTom Home.
The USA map for this device is only 772MB so it will fit once this the European map is removed.

If you have an SD card or even an SD card slot then you can fit a memory card up to and including 2GB but no larger - Mike

Ask a Question