TomTom one 3rd completly formatted

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom one 3rd edition
Right after continuously Formatting my Tom Tom using MS-Dos I eventually had all my free space back.

I have backed up my Tom Tom Western Europe map and also the other files (including corrupt ones).

How shall I go about setting up my Tom Tom to a usable state without any trouble along the way?

I am considering letting Tom Tom home install the software then copying the Western Europe map directly into the Tom Tom drive myself.

Will there be any problems doing that i.e. error messages?

Certainly let TT Home reinstall the firmware.

Now then, did you originally dl the map you've backed up or is it the map that came with the unit? If you dl it, then Home should be able to reinstall it (Add Maps in Home).

If it originally came with the unit then it will not be in the dl folder. You'll have to try to restore the map folder from the backup you made.

I am putting the Western Europe Map back onto my Tom Tom added the licenses folder from my back up also.

My sat nav now works perfectly and I now know how to format a tomtom properly :)

Had to do continuous Formats (FAT32) in order to free up space which is a tip people need to know.

Last edited:
Done!!!

The only difference now I notice it goes straight to the map screen on start up which is not a bad thing rely.

Atm there is no TomTom icon on start up with that drumming noise and I have added a few new voices.

I'm going to put the newer application update on it soon.

Is is worth downloading the Map share as it will use up what very little space I already have on my 1GB internal memory?

Ow and is it possible to compress the Western European Map folder?

this would also be very useful

Last edited:
You can't compress the map folder and still have it accessible. The mapshare update files are really quite small and shouldn't be an issue if you dl them. Better them than a bunch of voices you don't need.

Make an Explorer backup NOW and ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Also, don't expect the drums and TT icon on every powerup. You should see them if you've just done a pin reset or taken out (or put in) a sd card if your model has the slot.

Thanks!! ill back a back up now and ill also get the map share from TomTom home.

I did have to reset it to get the TomTom icon and drums.

Ask a Question