Tomtom One 2nd Ed. - Multiple maps on SD card?

Hi,

I'm a forum noob, so bear with me... Is it possible to install multiple maps on the same SD card for a Tomtom One 2nd Ed.? For example, a while ago, I purchased a map for my trip to the UK, which I successfully installed and used from my SD card. Now, I've got a trip coming up to New Zealand, and I want to know if I can purchase and install a map for New Zealand on the same SD card, or do I have to wipe the card? Ideally, I'd like to be able to have both on the same card, as my wife regularly travels to the UK and NZ, and it would be easiest to just have everything on the one card. Thanks for the help.

If they both fit, you should be able to get them both working on the card. You would simply then switch between them as needed. I had two maps on a card on a 720 and it worked OK.

The only restriction would be if there wasn't enought space on the card.

To switch maps, it's 'Preferences' --> 'Manage maps' --> 'Switch maps'.

If they both fit, you should be able to get them both working on the card. You would simply then switch between them as needed. I had two maps on a card on a 720 and it worked OK.

The only restriction would be if there wasn't enought space on the card.

To switch maps, it's 'Preferences' --> 'Manage maps' --> 'Switch maps'.

Thanks for the info, guys!

Does everything just get dumped into the root of the SD card, or would I have to move everything that's already there into a new folder so that those files do not get overwritten, etc.? Do either of you know if I could create two new folders on the SD card (e.g. [BOLD]My_UK_Map{/BOLD] and [BOLD]My_NZ_Map[/BOLD]) and move the corresponding map data into its respective folder, or does everything just get dumped into the root of the SD card? I seem to recall seeing files that have the same names as files that already exist on the SD card, and I'm assuming that, as usual, overwriting the existing files is probably a bad thing.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the info, guys!

Does everything just get dumped into the root of the SD card, or would I have to move everything that's already there into a new folder so that those files do not get overwritten, etc.? Do either of you know if I could create two new folders on the SD card (e.g. [BOLD]My_UK_Map{/BOLD] and [BOLD]My_NZ_Map[/BOLD]) and move the corresponding map data into its respective folder, or does everything just get dumped into the root of the SD card? I seem to recall seeing files that have the same names as files that already exist on the SD card, and I'm assuming that, as usual, overwriting the existing files is probably a bad thing.

Thanks again!

The maps go into a map folder in the rood directory. You don't have to create them, when you download or install a new map, it sill create the folder for the new map. The other files in th root directory are mostly the application (and color schemes, etc.) and when you update to a new application version, the ones that need to are overwritten.

For all the maps currently installed, installed currently, let TT Home "Copy to Computer' these maps - then you can always reload them in the future.

You did not say what map was on you device for starters (I assume it was a larger map then the UK or NZ), so you might not have enough room to load all the maps on the SD card. If not, after you have TomTom copy the existing maps to the computer, you can delete one you don't need with Home (don't wipe the card!) and then install the NZ map on the card.

Then also have Home copy the NZ map to the computer. You will then be able to delete and reinstall any of them as needed in the future through Home.

Note - do this also with your current and future Application versions through Home. Then, if a new app causes problems (like 8.01 - a real pain for many), you can delete it with Home and easily reinstall your last one with Home (or any other ones you have saved).

The maps go into a map folder in the rood directory. You don't have to create them, when you download or install a new map, it sill create the folder for the new map. The other files in th root directory are mostly the application (and color schemes, etc.) and when you update to a new application version, the ones that need to are overwritten.

For all the maps currently installed, installed currently, let TT Home "Copy to Computer' these maps - then you can always reload them in the future.

You did not say what map was on you device for starters (I assume it was a larger map then the UK or NZ), so you might not have enough room to load all the maps on the SD card. If not, after you have TomTom copy the existing maps to the computer, you can delete one you don't need with Home (don't wipe the card!) and then install the NZ map on the card.

Then also have Home copy the NZ map to the computer. You will then be able to delete and reinstall any of them as needed in the future through Home.

Note - do this also with your current and future Application versions through Home. Then, if a new app causes problems (like 8.01 - a real pain for many), you can delete it with Home and easily reinstall your last one with Home (or any other ones you have saved).

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

Ask a Question