TomTom not accurate in Florida?

Yeah I have ran into the same thing at both places. I have also had problems on some roads that were changed because of the 429 going through. Overstreet is mostly ok but it wanted to send me down a section that never has existed. I have run into countless times where it has tried to "shortcut" me through areas where there is no connecting road but the road comes close to the one I am on. Forget finding any roads that are new ie: subdivisions, etc.

You use yours for work on the west side of Orlando? That is why I purchased mine in the hopes it would get me to places faster, which it mostly does. Got to keep those cable subscribers happy...... :rolleyes:

I spend pretty much all of my time on the west and south of Orlando (I live just off of Apopka-Vineland and 50 and I work at the Magic Kingdom). How could I have forgotten about Overstreet! One of the main reasons I broke down and got the new maps over was that it always tried to route me down that non-existent part of Overstreet when I left the Cast Member parking lot. I needed a new map to allow map corrections to work. Plus, since I had submitted a map correction to TeleAtlas, I was kind of hoping it would have been fixed. It wasn't fixed, but I have submitted it to MapShare as a blocked road.

TeleAtlas's web site says one of the ways they collect data is through satellite photos, and there is a power line right-of-way way exactly matching the non-existent part of Overstreet, so my theory is that the power line right-of-way must have looked like a road on a satellite photo that they used when mapping out that area.

-Harry

PS, I just checked TeleAtlas's web site, and they still have Overstreet marked as existing, which explains why it is still on the new maps. I submitted the correction back in July, does anyone know how long it usually takes for TeleAtlas to take action on submitted corrections? It's a rural road, so TeleAtlas may have checking it on a low priority; but about half of the workers at the country's largest single-site employer use that road to get to work, so it's more important than it's location would seem to imply.

-Harry

I spend pretty much all of my time on the west and south of Orlando (I live just off of Apopka-Vineland and 50 and I work at the Magic Kingdom). How could I have forgotten about Overstreet! One of the main reasons I broke down and got the new maps over was that it always tried to route me down that non-existent part of Overstreet when I left the Cast Member parking lot. I needed a new map to allow map corrections to work. Plus, since I had submitted a map correction to TeleAtlas, I was kind of hoping it would have been fixed. It wasn't fixed, but I have submitted it to MapShare as a blocked road.

TeleAtlas's web site says one of the ways they collect data is through satellite photos, and there is a power line right-of-way way exactly matching the non-existent part of Overstreet, so my theory is that the power line right-of-way must have looked like a road on a satellite photo that they used when mapping out that area.

-Harry

So basically it is not TomTom's fault that the map source they use is a year or 2 or 3 behind. You would think all the map source users (TomTom, Garmin, etc.) would get together and pressure them to get more up to date.

So basically it is not TomTom's fault that the map source they use is a year or 2 or 3 behind. You would think all the map source users (TomTom, Garmin, etc.) would get together and pressure them to get more up to date.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Why is it that Google's maps have certain streets that aren't on my GPS when they get their maps from the same source?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Why is it that Google's maps have certain streets that aren't on my GPS when they get their maps from the same source?

I have noticed the same thing. I even have a good old fashioned map book that is 2 years old that has streets that my gps can't find.

They don't, the main Google Maps site gets their U.S. data from Navteq. When Google uses Tele Atlas data, they have Overstreet in the wrong place as well.

Here are two examples:

Google map using Navteq data: Note that Overstreet is nowhere to be seen.
Google Map using Tele Atlas data: Note that Overstreet is on this map. If you click on the Satellite map you can clearly see the power line right-of-way that is being mistaken for a road.

-Harry

PS The difference between the map data sources is that Google Maps uses Navteq for US Maps on their site, but Tele Atlas for their US Maps using their Google Maps API. Google pays Navteq a fee every time someone requests a route from Google Maps using Navteq data, and they pay Tele Atlas a fee every time someone requests a route from Google Maps using Tele Atlas data. When Google release the Google Maps API (which lets people put Google Maps on their own websites), Navteq refused to let Google use any of their data. Even though they would get the same fees from Google as they were already getting, they felt that having Navteq data on "no name" websites would lower the data's perceived value. Tele Atlas didn't care, as long as they got their fees, so they provide the data for Google Maps API. Whenever you are using Google Maps on a non-Google site you are using Tele Atlas data.

I was in the Pensacola/Gulf Breeze area recently and the only thing I really noticed was some the insane "fastest" and or "shortest" routing directions it would give me for Hotel or Restaurant addresses that would take me around in a circle a couple times, when the place was a simple left turn at a main cross-street. (After watching it do that a couple times, I just located the address I wanted on the map and had the TomTom navigate to the nearest cross-streets instead and that was perfectly fine)

Out of curiosity I went to this street on my TT USA/Canada 7.10 map. With the current state of my MapShare updates, Overstreet is NOT listed as blocked in either direction, but all the roads in the adjacent development (Greenbank Blvd, et al) are all listed as blocked. Is it possible that you misfired and selected the wrong roads to be blocked?

Ask a Question