TomTom not accurate in Florida?

TomTom Model(s)
One 2nd edition
My wife is on a trip in Florida and she just called saying she is driving on I-4 and that the TomTom One seems to be off by 50 yards or so, thinking it is next to the freeway, always trying to get her back on. I've never had that problem in Wisconsin. Any ideas? Any setting to change?

My wife is on a trip in Florida and she just called saying she is driving on I-4 and that the TomTom One seems to be off by 50 yards or so, thinking it is next to the freeway, always trying to get her back on. I've never had that problem in Wisconsin. Any ideas? Any setting to change?

Probably not possible to download the latest quickfix file.

Could try this (these screens appear on a 720, not sure about your version):
1. Tap satellite bars
2. In the next screen that comes up, tap again and see a 'calibrate' button.
3. Click calibrate and you should see 3 rows of choices (to display GPS signal).
4. The 3rd choice is to show the signal as seconds (I think, but it is choice 3 you want). Some report that selecting this choice seems to make the satellite signals (and, therefore car placement) more accurate.

Thanks. Can someone with a TomTom One 2nd edition check this screen for me to see if it is there and what it looks like? I'd need to talk my wife through this on the phone and I don't have the TomTom with me.

Probably not possible to download the latest quickfix file.

Could try this (these screens appear on a 720, not sure about your version):
1. Tap satellite bars
2. In the next screen that comes up, tap again and see a 'calibrate' button.
3. Click calibrate and you should see 3 rows of choices (to display GPS signal).
4. The 3rd choice is to show the signal as seconds (I think, but it is choice 3 you want). Some report that selecting this choice seems to make the satellite signals (and, therefore car placement) more accurate.

I think dhn got it pretty clearly...
Mine does this in my area, I think the unit just wants to put you on the closest road. if you're off of a road, but right next to it, it wants to put you on the road, because that's where you should be. Sometimes if you're driving next to a highway that has a slip-ramp, it will try to place you on the slip-ramp, but I usually get in the left lane, and it puts you back on the main road. It's not really a big deal, and it's not like it will give you bad directions.

I use my 3rd edition on the job in the Orlando area and mine always seems to be off by about 50 yards. Not sure why yet but I still have no problems getting where I am going. And yes I do have the seconds option selected.

The only other problem I have is there is so much construction that many of the roads are still not on the map. Even roads that have been in place for 2-3 years still are not on the map. So much for being the most up to date......

Thanks XswiftX. My wife drove to Jacksonville from Orlando and it sounded like it was ok there, but when she came back to the Orlando area it was off again. As people have said, it's still better than nothing. Just want to make sure nothing is wrong with the machine.

You mentioned Jacksonville, FL. Just as a head's up...

Jacksonville now has an eastern by-pass around the city called "9A". The western by-pass I-295 has been there for many years. But 9A is not on yet on the US-Canada maps as being completed. As I drove on it last month, TT called it an unknown road for portions of it.

I live in South Florida, but haven't traveled on I-40 since getting my TT a couple of months ago, so I can't comment on its accuracy or inaccuracy, sorry.

Here are two images of Jax... now and before 9A:

Attachments

• tn_jax.jpg
    tn_jax.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
I don't run into a lot of problems in the Orlando area, the only one I have seems to be a portion of Apopka-Vineland Rd just before it goes under the Florida Turnpike, but that is caused by the road being moved since they made the map. I've never had any problems with I-4.

-Harry

I had the same problem along the Columbia River Gorge several weeks ago. Tom Tom said I was actually on the railroad tracks :D . Is this the same issue as this thread: https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=7634 and fixed by both the satellite "seconds" setting and the update?

I just updated and will change the settings in a few minutes. Will let you know if that fixed the problem for me when I drive to Pendleton over the weekend.

Mine has been better as far as it actually places me on the roads. But it is still always off on turns and the addresses I am going to by about 50 yards but at least it gets me there.

I also have the problem with many of the roads on the west side of Orlando having been moved, altered, etc. Problem is some of those roads have been moved/changed for 2-3 years or more, and new ones added, and they are still not on the maps for TT. Google maps has them, MS Streets has them, why can't TT get more accurate maps?

Mine has been better as far as it actually places me on the roads. But it is still always off on turns and the addresses I am going to by about 50 yards but at least it gets me there.

I also have the problem with many of the roads on the west side of Orlando having been moved, altered, etc. Problem is some of those roads have been moved/changed for 2-3 years or more, and new ones added, and they are still not on the maps for TT. Google maps has them, MS Streets has them, why can't TT get more accurate maps?
I don't get it either...Seems like they should broaden their partnership with Google maps to include their map data!

I don't get it either...Seems like they should broaden their partnership with Google maps to include their map data!
Google doesn't have map data. Google Maps uses Navteq map data in the US. Pretty much everywhere else, they use exactly the same map data supplier as TomTom, TeleAtlas.

Also, you are seeing lag. When Google receive the latest map data, you see the result immediately. When TT receive the same data, they have to build a new set of maps, and you have to buy the new map, before you see that change.

Just a note, I just bought to new map and Apopka-Vineland is now fixed. Daniels Rd is still not connected to Winter Garden-Vineland though, which is the only other major problem I've had. I haven't checked yet if the new maps know you can make a left turn from Silver Star Rd Eastbound onto Hiawassee (which the old map didn't, it always tried to route me through housing developments, and I finally figured out it didn't know I could make a left turn there when it wanted me drive past the intersection, make a U-turn, and make a right turn.)

-Harry

Just a note, I just bought to new map and Apopka-Vineland is now fixed. Daniels Rd is still not connected to Winter Garden-Vineland though, which is the only other major problem I've had. I haven't checked yet if the new maps know you can make a left turn from Silver Star Rd Eastbound onto Hiawassee (which the old map didn't, it always tried to route me through housing developments, and I finally figured out it didn't know I could make a left turn there when it wanted me drive past the intersection, make a U-turn, and make a right turn.)

-Harry

Yeah I have ran into the same thing at both places. I have also had problems on some roads that were changed because of the 429 going through. Overstreet is mostly ok but it wanted to send me down a section that never has existed. I have run into countless times where it has tried to "shortcut" me through areas where there is no connecting road but the road comes close to the one I am on. Forget finding any roads that are new ie: subdivisions, etc.

You use yours for work on the west side of Orlando? That is why I purchased mine in the hopes it would get me to places faster, which it mostly does. Got to keep those cable subscribers happy...... :rolleyes:

Google doesn't have map data. Google Maps uses Navteq map data in the US. Pretty much everywhere else, they use exactly the same map data supplier as TomTom, TeleAtlas.

Also, you are seeing lag. When Google receive the latest map data, you see the result immediately. When TT receive the same data, they have to build a new set of maps, and you have to buy the new map, before you see that change.
Hmmm, so are Navteq and TeleAtlas the only companies that provide map data?

I read another thread where people were reporting similar issues (not associated with recent roadwork, out-of-date maps, etc)...The TomTom was simply "off". That thread pointed to a corrupt gpsquickfix file. If you don't update regularly via TTH, I suggest you do.

Pretty much yes. There are a few small-time players in specific countries/regions. But there are only 2 worldwide providers of map data, TeleAtlas and NavTeq. Generally, when they move into a new area, they will just buy up one of the local players, acquiring their map data.

Just check the copyright info in Google Earth imagery, Yahoo maps, or MSN. The map data provider will be shown.

There are others, but Navteq & Teleatlas are the providers for most of the map data that ends up in online maps and consumer electronics. When you are in Google Maps, or others....look at the bottom right hand corner of the map you are displaying and you'll see the source provider for what you are displaying....It will likely be Navteq for the US and TeleAtlas outside the US (for Google Maps).

TomTom US/Canada map data is sourced from TeleAtlas.

I read another thread where people were reporting similar issues (not associated with recent roadwork, out-of-date maps, etc)...The TomTom was simply "off". That thread pointed to a corrupt gpsquickfix file. If you don't update regularly via TTH, I suggest you do.
A corrupt quickfix file could not do that. It only enables you to get a fix faster. You still get all the positioning info from the sats, quickfix or not.

There a two possible causes of the problems experienced by those people. Bad map data, where the road is incorrectly positioned, or bad reception due to multipath errors or atmospheric conditions (buildings, trees, fog, snow, etc.).

When you are in Google Maps, or others....look at the bottom right hand corner of the map you are displaying and you'll see the source provider for what you are displaying....It will likely be Navteq for the US and TeleAtlas outside the US (for Google Maps).
Yes, exactly what I said in post #12 Tim25!

And I don't know of any other serious players. There is AND of course (ha-ha), but they are hardly in the same league (if they are even still in business. Last time I heard they were giving away map data for free!). The others are all national/regional efforts, e.g. OS.

Ask a Question