TomTom Home will not run (Windows XP Pro)

TomTom Model(s)
Hi All,

I have been experiencing problems running TomTom HOME on my laptop that is running Win XP Pro. I have all the service packs and updates installed.
I have reported this to TomTom support but they have not been able to help resolve this problem.

Today I found that there is a conflict with Microsoft ActiveSync when connected to my PDA.
As soon as I switch of the PDA therefore disconnecting the device the TomTom HOME window appears.

Once it is running I appear to be able to re-connect the PDA and all seems to work normally.

I thought I would post this so that if there is anyone having a similar problem then this may be a work-around for you.

Regards.

Welcome to TTF.

We certainly have posts about people having problems running Home but, as I can recollect, yours is the first to associate your problems with ActivSync.

What exactly happens --or does not happen-- when you try to run Home with Sync on?

A PDA combined with a PC running XP will have to use Active Sync (AS) to communicate with the PC, as Home is rather frail I am not too surprised if AS is running Home can't see the device - all your software should be on a memory card try using the card in a card reader rather than via AS which I never used to trust AS for large file transfers such as a map - Mike

Hi dhn

If I connect my TomTom device to the PC or if I try to start HOME directly, I will get the banner appear for a while. This then disapears and that is all that happens. It does not matter is the TomTom device is connected or not.
Checking the Task manager the 3 TomTom programms are running, TomTomHOMEServices.exe, TomTomHOMERuntime.exe & TomTomHOMERunner.exe but there is nothing on the screen.
Until that is I disconnect (by switching off) my PDA (a Dell AXIM).

I hope this answers your question.

Have you by any chance tried uninstalling Home using Control panel and reinstalling??

Mikealder,
This is not very helpfull.
I am not transfering any files only keeping my diary and contacts up to date. These are not stored on the memory card.

Mikealder,
This is not very helpfull.

You may want to be a little more receptive to input and suggestions provided by others here .......

Be that as it may, and this may not be helpful either, if you DO have Home running with the PDA off and then turn it on, what happens to Home?

My apologies to Mikealder if I seemed a bit blunt/sharp. it was not meant that way.

If my PDA is not connected then HOME starts just fine. Then if I connect the PDA HOME still works fine.
It just will not start if the PDA is connected.
Again, if home is started (sorry attempted to be started) with the PDA connected and then later the PDA is disconnected, HOME will then open its display. It would appear that it is still actually running just not visible.

What version of TomTom Navigator have you got running on the PDA? and what version of TomTom Home is in use as there are some combinations that can exist but won't work! - I appreciate thats not much help either but if we know what software versions are involved it might be possible to offer some other idea - Mike

mikealder
The PDA doses not have any TomTom application on it. It is only used for my contacts and diary.
I have a TomTom 920 that i use for navigation that has the latest firmware 8.35 on it.
The issue I mentioned occurs on versions 2.6.1.1549 & 2.7.3.1894 (the latest version) of TomTom HOME.
I fully understand that you need as much information as possible. Another bit of information is that I am using a Dell Lattitude with docking station. I have not tried it undocked. As I think it has something to do with the screen driver or something as I think the program is actually running and just not displaying. If I get the chance I’ll try it un-docked and see if I can re-produce the issue. This will require some re-configuring as the USB ports are all on the docking station.
Once the HOME application has started I can then turn on the PDA again any everything works normally as far as I can tell.

Ask a Question