TomTom Go 930 Device not recognized

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Go 930
Hello,
This is my first time using these forums. I found out about it on TomTom.com website. I installed Windows 7 SP1 x86, and I also installed TomTom Home 2.9. I have a TomTom Go 930. I haven't updated my device since I got it. Now, every time I connect my TomTom Go 930 to my computer, via the original USB cable, I get unknown device connected. Then Windows 7 SP1 trys to install a "generic" driver, and it doesn't show up in the Device Manager, or with TomTom Home 2. Then when I do connect my TomTom Go 930 to the computer, it asks me if I want to connect to the PC, and I answer YES. Then windows give me the sound when a new device is found, but under TomTom Home 2 (v 2.9) , it shows that the deviced is NOT connected. I tried resetting my TomTom Go 930 several times, with out any success. I know that you get hundreds of problems similar to this one, but I made sure that I did everything correctly before I posted this message in the Official Forum. I would appreciate any and all help. I've had my TomTom G0 930 for over five years, which my son gave me for Christmas, and I haven't updated it at all.
Thank You.
Charlie :confused:

If you can, I would appreciate it very much if you could foward me the answer to my question to my e-mail address as well (e-mail address removed) deleted for privacy -- moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:
While some users seem to have no trouble with Home vs. Win7, we do have occasional reports of malfunctions when the two are put together. One solution (recently posted somewhere else here, I think) is to download Microsoft's XP emulator for Win7. In each case, it seems that Win7 does not recognize the TomTom as an external storage device. I have carefully looked at what a TomTom sends in the way of USB device information at the beginning of a connect session, and don't see anything abnormal. Why running XP mode helps is a mystery, since the USB conventions don't change just because the OS changes. I'm still suspicious of Win7.

I would remove Home from the PC, then run both the installer and Home itself in XP mode.

You can get the XP emulator here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

While some users seem to have no trouble with Home vs. Win7, we do have occasional reports of malfunctions when the two are put together. One solution (recently posted somewhere else here, I think) is to download Microsoft's XP emulator for Win7. In each case, it seems that Win7 does not recognize the TomTom as an external storage device. I have carefully looked at what a TomTom sends in the way of USB device information at the beginning of a connect session, and don't see anything abnormal. Why running XP mode helps is a mystery, since the USB conventions don't change just because the OS changes. I'm still suspicious of Win7.

I would remove Home from the PC, then run both the installer and Home itself in XP mode.

You can get the XP emulator here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I really hoped that you didn't mention that because my computer is an old one, Pentium 3 @1Ghz 1Gb mem. I would hope that TomTom would update their program TomTom Home 2 (ver. 2.9) so that it is compatible with Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8. They can't just abandon use people that run a modern OS. I haven't heard anyone mention anything about this on the TomTom website. Has anyone tried TopTop Home 2 with Windows 8 yet? I would be interested in knowing what happens. :)
Again, Thank You.
CharlieStevens

They haven't 'abandoned' anyone (yet!) that we know of, Charlie. Most users seem to be able to get Home to run OK with Win7. However, I'm surprised that you are even attempting to run anything beyond XP on a 1GB machine. Honestly, that machine isn't really up to the task of managing Win7, and I'd think that XP would be a more comfortable fit (literally and figuratively). I know that Microsoft spec's a minimum 1GB for Win7, but it must run very slowly since it will be constantly paging stuff on and off the disk drive in the absence of enough DRAM.

FWIW, I am using HOME on two different machines that are running Windows 7. One of those is a netbook and the other is a Core2 Duo desktop with 4 GB of RAM. No problems with either installation.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Ask a Question