TomTom Go 700 SD Card with a Red Cross.

OK. You never mentioned what the updates were that started all of this, but evidently it wasn't firmware. If it had been, there would have been some trace of it being downloaded.

Ok, with the contents that I backed up yesterday, the behavior is exactly the same - yellow background with an ejected SD card with a red X.

I have another SD card that I formatted and restored backup made a few years ago - this time Home tool enabled me to link the device to the account I have at TomTom. Through the Home tool, I went to update my device, it downloaded a few items including the QuickGPSFix and application and applied everything successfully on the card. I ejected the card and put it in GPS Device - no dice - I get the same yellow background asking me to take out the SD card with a red X. Now it doesn't recognize the SD card and doesn't allow me to Link my device in Home tool.

I need to reformat the SD card and repeat the process - I need to see if I can get the GPS working at the stage it was last week before the update.

Ok, with the contents that I backed up yesterday, the behavior is exactly the same - yellow background with an ejected SD card with a red X.

I have another SD card that I formatted and restored backup made a few years ago - this time Home tool enabled me to link the device to the account I have at TomTom. Through the Home tool, I went to update my device, it downloaded a few items including the QuickGPSFix and application and applied everything successfully on the card. I ejected the card and put it in GPS Device - no dice - I get the same yellow background asking me to take out the SD card with a red X. Now it doesn't recognize the SD card and doesn't allow me to Link my device in Home tool.

I need to reformat the SD card and repeat the process - I need to see if I can get the GPS working at the stage it was last week before the update.

No luck - I can get the SD card to be recognized by Home tool and update/manage items from Home on the SD card.
GPS w/ SD card does absolutely nothing in its USB connector.
GPS still shows yellow background with remove SD card red X

I am sure the update killed it somehow - I was able to use it a few days ago, and the only thing I did was to update it because the device couldn't find many GPS satellites.

Thanks tomtom! It's going in the trash. Too bad I paid for a new battery that I cannot return now.

Thanks for the all the help canderson and everyone else. I really appreciate the time, effort and help on this.

You said "it downloaded a few items including the QuickGPSFix and application". Ouch. It was was my intention to avoid any further application update in case you are correct about the upate causing the problem. I was wanting to try to boot your device with the firmware that you had already manually downloaded. Let's keep HOME ENTIRELY out of this process for now.

Just for grins, what do those two lines in ttgo.bif say now? Let's see if the thing ever actually updated.

If that stuff is blank, then it may still be the update you are receiving that is causing the issue. If it didn't really update (the ttgo.bif may tell us that), then by NOT using HOME, we can avoid updating past the firmware you manually downloaded and avoid the 'new stuff' for the moment. Before you insert that card again, shut HOME DOWN. Delete all content on your card except the map folder. Overlay again the stuff you extracted from the *.cab file. Insert into device. Try to boot it.

Last edited:
If that stuff is blank, then it may still be the update you are receiving that is causing the issue. If it didn't really update (the ttgo.bif may tell us that), then by NOT using HOME, we can avoid updating past the firmware you manually downloaded and avoid the 'new stuff' for the moment. Before you insert that card again, shut HOME DOWN. Delete all content on your card except the map folder. Overlay again the stuff you extracted from the *.cab file. Insert into device. Try to boot it.

I've tried different scenarios keeping HOME out of the picture and working only with the data on the SD card to no avail. The first update must've fried/blocked an IC directly in the device - on purpose perhaps to force you to buy a newer device. If that's not true, then something else must be fried inside it as I don't think the issue is with the SD card (a couple of SD cards only containing my backed up data from a few years ago).

I don't know what else is left here for me to try.

So you were able to try just the old firmware that you manually downloaded, and that didn't pan out, either? I didn't see in your notes where that was attempted before you let HOME have it's way with the card, and wanted to be sure. Allowing HOME to update the device again might have left you in the same ditch you were in when we first met here!
If the unmodified/unupdated firmware on the card wouldn't boot either, then indeed, we've run the full course of what is possible.

Ask a Question