Tomtom GO 700 and 2002 Civic Si

Here ya go. Pictures are kinda dark. It's late and I'm in the garage. Not much light.

Will take detail photos if someone is interested. As it is now, I can tilt up/down and swivel left/right.

Parts cost me $1.09. I didn't count the cost of velcro nor a piece of plastic which I needed to screw the whole thing to.

From the angle of the photo, it looks slanted, but in my sitting position in the car, it's level and perfect positioning. Just to the right of my *rally* style shifter. ;)

Oh yeah, it is also hardwired to the car and I hooked up an old SUN Microsystem microphone.

And to hide the Tomtom, I can easily remove the unit itself or just cover it with a baseball cap.

Also notice my hardwired Valentine 1 :)

Attachments

• ttg700_02civicsi_1.jpg
    ttg700_02civicsi_1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 953
  • ttg700_02civicsi_2.jpg
    ttg700_02civicsi_2.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 874
  • ttg700_02civicsi_3.jpg
    ttg700_02civicsi_3.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 720
Last edited:
Looks interesting on the remote display light. But I kinda like the monotone color. Not into too much bling bling ;)

Btw, how old is your V1? Mine is about 6/7 years. I punched in my serial number and the upgrade cost to the newest and greatest is about $180. Newest V1 has POP mode protection. Not sure if it is worth the upgrades. I guess looking at $180 for a brand new V1 isn't too bad since I've used it for so many years now.

my V1 was bought in Sept 04.

Going to order another just before we come over in Sept this year.

going to have it delivered to the hotel in Provincetown.

There's been about 4 or 5 software updates since I got mine !

your tomtom install looks great what parts did you use,
please explain in detail how you mounted it
thanks

Here are some additional photos. This will work for older TTG units with the 2 piece arm.

The parts I bought were 1 screw (don't recall what size but take the TTG hardware with you and try all the screws at your local hardware store), 1 wingnut and 3 nylon washers. I'm going to try to find rubber washers instead. The nylon washers do not provide enough friction. I've to really tighten the wingnut to hold it in place. But once it is in place, it won't move (even going through pot holes ridden Detroit roads) but if I exert effort, I can tilt it up/down which is good.

Basically, 1 washer bet. the screw head and TTG, 1 washer bet TTG and plastic and 1 washer bet plastic piece and wingnut.

Also, I velcroed the plastic piece to the side of the dash storage area. Double sided tape would be more secure. I might try to get an right angle bracket (L - shaped) instead. That way it'll be more secure as well.

Attachments

• ttg700_02civicsi_4.jpg
    ttg700_02civicsi_4.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 467
  • ttg700_02civicsi_5.jpg
    ttg700_02civicsi_5.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 449
  • ttg700_02civicsi_7.jpg
    ttg700_02civicsi_7.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 464
  • ttg700_02civicsi_tripmaster.jpg
    ttg700_02civicsi_tripmaster.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 550
  • ttg700_02civicsi_6.jpg
    ttg700_02civicsi_6.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
Amazingly, it vibrates less than when it's on the windshield. At least at the speed I'm driving on daily, I don't see/notice any vibration on smooth road. When I was on a trip, it was vibrating like crazy when I hit 80-90mph (or around there). But above it was ok. So, I think it hit the natural frequency of the arm mount.

The Civic is not the quietest of all cars nor the smoothest. I feel every bump on the road, made worse from Detroit roads. But the *arm* is holding up well. The tilt position hasn't moved yet. But I intend to make it more secure either using double sided tape or a L bracket. Using an L bracket, I can velcro or tape it on both sides. So, I'm sure it'll be more secure.

The best part of this position is, my hand is just right there to navigate the menus, making phone calls etc. Perfect position. If it is mounted on the top of the dash or windshield, I have to lean forward to reach the unit which is what I'm trying to avoid. Also, windshield mount is less conspicuous.

The BT pairing with my phone works great at speeds below 50mph (in my car). Above it, the other person I'm talking to says there's a lot of background noise.

So, I'm going to try different mic (found another old computer mic) and position. Possibly run it to the visor. Also currently experimenting with putting a foam thingy covering the mic trying to make it directional (similar to the big mics you see reporters shoving right in front of celebs with the black or orange covers - supposedly these make them filter out background noise and more directional).

Last edited:

Ask a Question