TomTom for iPhone 1.6 announced

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom 930
TomTom's latest mobile update for the iPhone, v1.6, has been announced. Besides including the latest map release, Tomtom has finally put Mapshare in the feature set.

No other significant features mentioned.

in the map view there are two new symbols on the bottom.
1) speaker with a line thru it, I take it that it means you are on mute, for when I raise the volume it goes away
2) what looks like a bolt of lightening with a line through it? Any ideas?

not bad, actually it is a non connect to blue tooth symbol. Got a new BT from Jawbone the other day. Now with ford sync running and connected and the jawbone running and connected (the symbol goes away when the jawbone is on), I can have the music on the radio and the directions from TomTom via the jawbone, and when the phone ring, I get a dialog box to choose where i want the audio from:
Jawbone
ford sync (the radio)
the phone
the phone speaker.

OK went back without the Jawbone, turned the unit on, got the icon with the flash symbol and line through it, then puged the unit into charge, and it went away. So I guess I was wrong and it is a charge symbol.

I could cheat, edit my post and say, "I SAID Bluetooth!" :eek:

Thanks for the feedback.....

How to get the bluetooth to connect?

How do I get the bluetooth to connect to my system? I have bluetooth in my car and am able to use it with my iPhone, but am unable to get the TomTom instructions to be transmitted to it. Suggestions? I get the lightning bolt with a line through it.

The car deck needs to support A2DP Bluetooth mode for it to work with the iPhone TomTom app audio, if the car only supports Handsfree profile then it will be fine for phone calls but nothing else.

Assuming the car deck does support A2DP put the car deck in to Pairing mode (how to do this will be in the instructions - I know thats not something we like to do but in this instance RTFM is essential as it usually involves pressing specific buttons in a given sequence) - One the car unit is in pairing mode go to Settings/ General/ Bluetooth on the iPhone and it will (eventually) list available devices, select the car deck from the presented list, if it wants a "Pair Code" again this number will be in the car deck manual (probably 0000 though)

As a tip the audio from the TomTom app is best when the iPhone is also playing music via its iPOD player, you get a delay if just using the nav voice via Bluetooth which can lead to the audio clipping th estart of the instructions - Mike

It could also be an issue with car unit. Before I got my Jawbone which is Simultaneous Multipoint (can connect to two devices at the same time) and A2DP I was using an older Platronics 975. The only way to use the Iphone, TomTom and the Ford sync, was to set the sync to Bluetooth Audio (aux in on the radio side) and listen to the Iphone. When directions would come on the song would pause is set that way or the if set the directions would play over the song. No radio only only Itunes. Now with the new Jawbone I am paired to the ford sync and the TomTom at the same time. Radio over the radio and TomTom over the Jawbone. A phone call comes in and it will automatically answer via the radio or if I hit the Jawbone on the Jawbone. I will in any event get an Iphone dialog box to choose the Jawbone, the ford sync, the Iphone, or the Iphone speaker. the trick I found out to be is to let the phone pair with the ford sync first, then turn the Jawbone on and away you go.

I could cheat, edit my post and say, "I SAID Bluetooth!" :eek:

Thanks for the feedback.....
You are most welcome. Since TomTom has yet to post a version 1.6 manual do you have anyplace to go to that would have a list of the new features, besides map share? TomTom's site has little information.

The only new feature mentioned is Mapshare. Considering how TomTom would go overboard praising any other feature added with 1.6, you can be sure there isn't any.:)

Otherwise probably a few bug fixes and minor interface tweaks.

Looks like the 1.6 upgrade has the same issue as a past upgrade: all my Favorites are lost. So are some of my settings such as Traffic.

One of the other fixes that 1,6 sorts out is custom POI icons now show up in the various menu options, with 1,5 they appeared as the TomTom logo in the menu pages.
Nice easy short cut to the Bluetooth sound options and MapShare.

To really take the lead with the iPhone navigation apps they really need to add the full POI menu functions to the software, I guess we can all hope for v1,7 in a few months and see what else they can add in but these days there isn't much missing from the TomTom iPhone app when compared to a high end PND from the same company.
To be honest the iPhone loaded with the TomTom app will out perform the current high end units from the same stable! - Mike

I Thought the Lightning bolt was a "Battery charging indicator"
It goes out on mine when I put it in the cradle, but I don't use the Tomtom bluetooth at all:confused:

I Thought the Lightning bolt was a "Battery charging indicator"
It goes out on mine when I put it in the cradle, but I don't use the Tomtom bluetooth at all:confused:

it is a charging symbol and I have corrected my previous post:
not bad, actually it is a non connect to blue tooth symbol. Got a new BT from Jawbone the other day. Now with ford sync running and connected and the jawbone running and connected (the symbol goes away when the jawbone is on), I can have the music on the radio and the directions from TomTom via the jawbone, and when the phone ring, I get a dialog box to choose where i want the audio from:
Jawbone
ford sync (the radio)
the phone
the phone speaker.

OK went back without the Jawbone, turned the unit on, got the icon with the flash symbol and line through it, then puged the unit into charge, and it went away. So I guess I was wrong and it is a charge symbol.

Current TomTom 740 Live Iphone with TomTom and Car Kit
Baltimore MD USA
Last edited by davidalan99; 12-24-2010 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: Charging symbol​

When the unit is placed in the TomTom car kit, it is charging so the symbol will go out.

Once again sorry for the miss direction

Ask a Question