TomTom Data Services work when connected to PC?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
I have no clue if this is old news or not but, I was messing around and noticed that I can use my PC's internet connection as a data connection for my TomTom when connected via my PC. :confused: Has this always worked? I can sucessfully download GPSFixes, weather information, traffic, etc. I know this is pointless but just thought it was funny that it worked. Here's some screenshots. Sorry if it's old news.

dump15227.jpg

dump20426.jpg

dump9233.jpg

dump20421.jpg

dump20428.jpg

dump20429.jpg

dump20431.jpg

dump20422.jpg

dump20423.jpg

dump24813.jpg

dump20425.jpg

dump20435.jpg

dump20434.jpg

dump20433.jpg

dump3512.jpg

dump3514.jpg

dump3515.jpg

This is the first time EVER that I've seen what the weather service, or any data service looked like on the TomTom, since I have not been able to use ANY of my cell phones for a data connection. Nothing's supported.

Last edited:
This was always possible until the 8.xx applications came out. I had used this for years on my 910. Some posters have said - "whats the point?", but I found it useful - especially with respect to traffic.

I check traffic just before leaving with the "Operate my Go", as it was much easier to do so on the computer -especially when trying alternate routes - compared with doing it in the car. This function came back with 8.3.

Apparently, from your post, it also works with 8.204, BUT - Plus Services will not work on the device with 8.204, and I have tried it to be sure (apparently 8.204 is meant for the European units, and they have HD Traffic - not Plus Services like over here).

As for your cell phones - have you tried. Many phones not listed as compatible will work (but not if you get the screen from TomTom that it is not set up for data services). If you don't get that screen, but you can go through the data setup routine (even if not successful), there is a chance that you could set it up with manual settings - which are well documented in this forum.

Ask a Question