Setting Up TomTom Go 930T Data Services With AT&T

I have an HTC Fuze on AT&T with a Data Plan. getting my 930T to connect through the phone was a bear. What I discovered was:

You must have a data plan - MediaNet

Bluetooth must be On and Discoverable.

Pick Other for Phone and pick Cingular Wireless (media works). I think this is a typo and they probably meant MediaNet.

Use an APN of wap.cingular

For UserID user your TomTom Login ID not (e-mail address removed)

For Password use your TomTom Password not CINGULAR1

After hours of failure, this worked.

You generally only have to use user number & password if you are using TomTom's paid Plus Services like Traffic, etc. Not necessary to get connected.

I don't see how using your TomTom login credentials would work there. When setting up the data connection, the credentials are for connecting to your carrier, not TomTom - kind of like connecting to a dial-up ISP. The TomTom credentials are specified elsewhere, and are required for connecting to TomTom for pay-for services such as TomTom Traffic and Fuel Prices.

Some (many?) carriers don't require you to specify credentials, since those are already programmed into the phone by the carrier. I'm not saying this is necessarily the case with you, but that would be one explanation for it working - the credentials you're supplying are being ignored by your carrier.

Having said that, I'll add... if it's working for you, DON'T CHANGE A THING!

You shouldn't use your TomTom login/password as your cellular network login/password. They are two separate things.

The phone company known as "CellularOne/AT&T Wireless Services/Cingular/AT&T Mobile" has at least two access settings that they have inherited over the years. I looked online, compiled information together from different sources, and came up with this:

WAP (should be more friendly towards GPRS):

Access point name = wap.cingular
Username = (e-mail address removed)
Password = CINGULAR1
IP = Automatic
DNS = Automatic
Dial number = *99***1#
Login script = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","WAP.CINGULAR" (CGDCONT are letters, not the number 0)

ISP (should be more friendly towards EDGE and/or tethering):

Access point name = isp.cingular
Username = (e-mail address removed) (001 are numbers, not the letters O and I)
Password = ZXY203DCPK0402 (203 and 0402 are numbers, not the letter O)
IP = Automatic
DNS = Automatic
Dial number = *99***1# (some reports of using 3# instead of 1# to achieve higher speeds if you are using EDGE)
Login script = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","ISP.CINGULAR" (CGDCONT are letters, not the number 0)

Note that entering the login script with the TomTom's onscreen keyboard is an exercise in patience and nerves! The "OK" button is dangerously close to some of the other keys you will need to be hitting....

I have only WAP, not ISP. The WAP settings are known-good working on my phone (Palm Treo 680). Unfortunately, I haven't yet gotten it to work with my TomTom 930.

I noticed that some of the settings are different from the defaults that are in the TomTom. Among other things, the dialup number is different, and the login script has slightly different case in some of the parts of its command. Has anybody ever successfully used these to connect with?

Just a note of thanks to you Krellan for reposting this info. I've been looking for it to connect my BB Bold and while a lot is unchanged from older threads, your "new" Dial Number proved to be the winning entry.

Just a note of thanks to you Krellan for reposting this info. I've been looking for it to connect my BB Bold and while a lot is unchanged from older threads, your "new" Dial Number proved to be the winning entry.

Thanks. As for the "new" Dial Number, did you end it with 1#, or did you end it with 3#? I'm curious if it makes a difference with newer phones with EDGE, or not.

You don't need to logon

You just need to enter WAP.CINGULAR and I found nothing is required in the other fields. Authentication is done via your phone with the MediaNet server. I assume MediaNet authenticates via the SIM or the phone's hard coded registration number.

This is true for the Fuze. i don't know about other phones.

Tomtom 720 just worked with windows mobile 6.1 on AT&T

Hi Folks,
I've spent days on this and finally just got a new phone: HTC Touch Dual - Windows Mobile 6.1 (WM6.1)
I reset the phone, clicked on the 3G icon at the top of the main page and clicked on something like "setup at&t connection". I did this and it recreated my "MEdia Net" connection. Then I detected my phone with the tomtom and used "cingular wireless (media works)" It: 1. found the phone with a wireless data connection and 2. Got past the dreaded 60% complete. WOO HOO. Didn't need to unlock the phone or use a hack.
Joe

Last edited:
Yep, MediaNet is great. I can't believe I was entering all the crap in Post 4 when you really don't have to do anything except pick wap.cingular as the AP. No login, password, dialing is required.

I have a samsung blackjack on att. Its got medianet on it.
When I connect my 930 to it, all that it says is congrats its now connected, but onlt handsfree and phonebook were found.
Were are all these steps that you guys talk about?

thnx in advance

I have a samsung blackjack on att. Its got medianet on it.
When I connect my 930 to it, all that it says is congrats its now connected, but onlt handsfree and phonebook were found.
Were are all these steps that you guys talk about?

thnx in advance

Found it, just had to add the bt dun cab to my phone. now trying to figure out setting

thnx anyway

Finally a solution that works for connecting my GO 930. I have a BB curve 8320 and the WAP option you are quoting actually worked. I can get free weather services now!
Great posting!
Will test for a while and if it still works, I will get a traffic subscription.

920 data connection with AT&T

You shouldn't use your TomTom login/password as your cellular network login/password. They are two separate things.

The phone company known as "CellularOne/AT&T Wireless Services/Cingular/AT&T Mobile" has at least two access settings that they have inherited over the years. I looked online, compiled information together from different sources, and came up with this:

WAP (should be more friendly towards GPRS):

Access point name = wap.cingular
Username = (e-mail address removed)
Password = CINGULAR1
IP = Automatic
DNS = Automatic
Dial number = *99***1#
Login script = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","WAP.CINGULAR" (CGDCONT are letters, not the number 0)

ISP (should be more friendly towards EDGE and/or tethering):

Access point name = isp.cingular
Username = (e-mail address removed) (001 are numbers, not the letters O and I)
Password = ZXY203DCPK0402 (203 and 0402 are numbers, not the letter O)
IP = Automatic
DNS = Automatic
Dial number = *99***1# (some reports of using 3# instead of 1# to achieve higher speeds if you are using EDGE)
Login script = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","ISP.CINGULAR" (CGDCONT are letters, not the number 0)

Note that entering the login script with the TomTom's onscreen keyboard is an exercise in patience and nerves! The "OK" button is dangerously close to some of the other keys you will need to be hitting....

I have only WAP, not ISP. The WAP settings are known-good working on my phone (Palm Treo 680). Unfortunately, I haven't yet gotten it to work with my TomTom 930.

I noticed that some of the settings are different from the defaults that are in the TomTom. Among other things, the dialup number is different, and the login script has slightly different case in some of the parts of its command. Has anybody ever successfully used these to connect with?

I have a 920T and these instructions used to work for me. I recently had to reload the device and now I can't seem to make this connect. Does anybody know if the connecting to an HTC Fuze requires something special?

I have a 920T and these instructions used to work for me. I recently had to reload the device and now I can't seem to make this connect. Does anybody know if the connecting to an HTC Fuze requires something special?

Tomtom uses Bluetooth DUN to tether to a phone. This is removed by carriers on many American phones as the carriers don't want to incur the bandwith/costs of tethering.

If the Fuze has it removed, google for the bluetooth dun cab and you can manually reinstall it on the phone. After that the Tomtom should work. When pairing the Tomtom to an AT&T service, choose "other" as the phone model and "cingular medianet" as your carrier.

Ask a Question