TomTom broken & new one bought...what about Maps?!

Hi all. My Go 530 has been recently broken, and I have purchased a replacement unit. However - my map subscription to the original one has a few months left on it, and I was wondering whether I have to buy a full, new subscription for the new device, or whether I can "link" my TomTom Home account to the new one.

I can't seem to find much information on the subject through searches, but I'm sure this can't be a unique situation!

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Alan

Hi Alan,

This is "supposition", but it might work.

It will depend on you having a current TT home account that your old unit is linked to. I'm guessing that you do since you have updated maps on the old unit previously?

Firstly make sure that you have the latest map loaded on the new device by making use of the latest map guarantee if you have not done this already - if you do not have this ability, I'm not sure if the following will work. (I'm guessing it will not because Map updates rely on the most recent Map being available in the unit (at least I think this is the way it works!).

Now log in to your TT account with the new unit attached to the PC. TT home will (should) tell you that the unit you have attached is not the one previously linked and ask if you want to link the new unit instead of the old. You can say yes with safety on the basis that the old one is broken. (You can only make this substitution once every six months I believe)

I would expect that you will now be able to download map updates to the new unit when you are notified that they are available.

Having said this I would wait until one of the more experienced members confirms what I have said or provides an alternative process.

Failing a definitive process I guess a call to the support people will be required.

Good luck

Go930 User

In theory, the steps Go930 user should work.

However, many find subscription series don't get transferred properly without a call to support (UK support: 0845 161 0009)

so, another method is to create a new account for the new unit. The email address you use doesn't even have to be a real one, just in the proper (e-mail address removed) format

AND explain to support that you'd like the subscription series transferred because you have a new unit to replace the older one.

In theory, the steps Go930 user should work.

However, many find subscription series don't get transferred properly without a call to support (UK support: 0845 161 0009)

so, another method is to create a new account for the new unit. The email address you use doesn't even have to be a real one, just in the proper (e-mail address removed) format

AND explain to support that you'd like the subscription series transferred because you have a new unit to replace the older one.

Hi again,

Can I deduce from this that TT DO NOT advise people who have purchased map updates about the availability of a newer map by email to the logged address?

If they do then a "fictitious" address will have you not being advised and you then need to remember to check regularly to see if one is available.

Which leads me to another question - if you miss an update (for whatever reason) are you then unable to update with later maps since your unit will not have the "latest" map loaded?

Or is this need, when buying a map update subscription, just another way for TT to extract a few more $$s from its long suffering owner base?

Cheers

Go930User

Here's a tip (for those with only one current email address......)

Join Google's gmail and create an account there.

One feature is this:

Let's say you create the account: (e-mail address removed)

Well, if you need a second email address, just provide (e-mail address removed), a third could be (e-mail address removed), etc.

You see, all emails to the various (variation) email accounts at gmail all go into the main (e-mail address removed)

So, you get real emails (TomTom would consider each address as a separate account) from all accounts....

Can I deduce from this that TT DO NOT advise people who have purchased map updates about the availability of a newer map by email to the logged address?

If they do then a "fictitious" address will have you not being advised and you then need to remember to check regularly to see if one is available.

You get email alerts to your email usually about a week after the map is available. Checking forums such as this (or just checking Tomtom's map store on its website) get's you info much faster.

Also, the app 9.x devices will pop a hint saying a map "might be availalbe' every three months. Around the 15th of Feb/May/Aug/Nov, just to remind you.

Which leads me to another question - if you miss an update (for whatever reason) are you then unable to update with later maps since your unit will not have the "latest" map loaded?

Your HOME account will be assigned the most recent map in your subscription series, so you can download it at any time. The last map of your series stays on your account for a year after the subscription ends.

Ask a Question