TomTom CS: Map updates are broken, no fix available

I just bought a XL335TM, followed all of the instructions for updating the maps--everything downloaded (eventually) and installed without a hiccup. The unit rebooted itself but now gives me the "Cannot use this map with this device" error. I did some browsing here on the forums and decided I should just call customer service. A 35-minute wait later, I finally get a reasonably pleasant CS rep who goes through a few basic steps with me and then informs me that they are having a problem with the map download certificates. They do not have a fix and don't know when they will. I was told to delete the current map, wait 24 hours, and then try downloading the (1.6-gigabyte) map again. For a large GPS maker like TomTom I was surprised that this sort of issue exists, and even more surprised that they have neither a solution nor a timeline for one to be available.

Not sure if I meant this as a rant or an FYI or what. I liked the device the short time I used it on the outdated map it came with, but I'm about ready to just put it back in its packaging and return it to the retail store from which I purchased; anyone have any advice?

Well, I do know others are getting the map to work so it may be a sporadic thing. I do seem to remember seeing that the application on the unit did cause issues with the map for the 335.

Did they give you a reason to try again in 24 hours?

I got the same message as well. I have the Tomtom XL250 with only built in memory (2GB). I had to delete the Australian maps (after backing up) so that I could fit the USA & Canada map.

My initial thought was that because I am still in Australia, the USA map will not work. I could not just assume this as I would be very angry if I had gone over and find the device useless. Can anyone enlighten me as to what happens when you select a different country's map than where you actually are at present?

Regards,

dlee

Last edited:
Exactly the same issue, brand new TomTom XL Live, worked fone on the short trip back from the store, updated it with Home when I got back, now the map won't work. Not impressed as this is my first TomTom and its effectively a paperweight within an hour of me buying it!

I got the same message as well. I have the Tomtom XL250 with only built in memory (2GB). I had to delete the Australian maps (after backing up) so that I could fit the USA & Canada map.

My initial thought was that because I am still in Australia, the USA map will not work. I could not just assume this as I would be very angry if I had gone over and find the device useless. Can anyone enlighten me as to what happens when you select a different country's map than where you actually are at present?

Regards,

dlee
I've only done that with two map sets loaded at the same time, but when I change my map preference to a map in another part of the world (for example, to do itinerary planning in Europe while I'm here in Colorado), the normal navigation view shows your current position icon (the blue arrow, if that's what you've been using) as in "void" space on the map -- the icon is there, but just on solid color without any map data underneath.

You shouldn't be getting "Cannot use this map with this device" if you purchased the map from TomTom for your specific unit. If, on the other hand, the map has come from another TomTom device, that isn't going to work. They are keyed to the serial number of the original device upon which they were installed or for which they have been purchased.

Thanks, canderson. That clears things up. I will have to get in contact with CS duing business hours.

You shouldn't be getting "Cannot use this map with this device" if you purchased the map from TomTom for your specific unit.

To be clear, I bought a brand new "lifetime traffic, lifetime map updates" model (XL335TM) a couple of days ago--we were on a road trip and my old GPS unit kicked the bucket; I found a Target that had these on sale. Yesterday I created a TomTom account and successfully entered my lifetime maps code (verified by TomTom CS). I downloaded a full map update (all files present) and according to the TomTom HOME application successfully installed the map on the device. TomTom CS confirmed validity of my map access using the device serial number I read him off of the bottom, and indicated that there was a known issue that they were "working on." No estimate on when the fix would be completed. So I have a device that is completely useless until they are able to fix the issue.

It sounds like I'm not the only one with this problem, and the reviews on Amazon seem to indicate that this type of problem is chronic with TomTom devices. I'll probably try the "wait 24 hours and then download again" and if that doesn't do it I'll return it and get a Garmin or Magellan.

CBURKART - I have the same issue. Got my new XXL 540M with lifetime maps in the mail yesterday. Charged it all night and then played this morning. Worked fine out of the box. Then I hooked it up to the computer. It updated all sorts of things, and then when I fire it up, I get that I am unable to use the map.

I talked to customer service. They told me they are having an issue with their servers, and specifically issuing certificates for the maps. They should have it fixed in 24hrs, but maybe later today. (It's 1pm EDT here right now)

They gave me a reference number (or something like that) and told me to call back later today or tomorrow. I hope I do not actually have to call them back, as it took me 35 minutes to get through to a person. I am hoping I can just update my device with TomTomHome and get it fixed.

So, we both have brand new devices we cannot use. Quite frustrating and not what I was hoping for my first experience.

Last edited:
People, I agree 100% that it is a crappy introduction for you to the TomTom models.

But, it is possible that CS is explaining things properly and that it is a server issue on TT's side.

If you did make an Explorer backup (we suggest never using Home for backups) then you can revert back to 'out of the box' settings but, in the meantime, do give TT the 24 hours or so.

If things aren't resolved, call back (don't email .... waste of time) and raise the concerns to second level.

Agreed.

I am not all poopoo on my tomtom yet.... its not going back to the store or anything like that. Just more waiting, tapping my toe, to get this thing going again. Basically just wanted to chime in with my experience, as it helps if you know you are not the only one. Knowing others are waiting for the same resolve hopefully ensures it will get resolved ASAP.

I just got off the phone with customer support.

They had me delete several things on my computer and device:

<on computer>
My Documents\Tom Tom\Home\Downloads (delete the whole downloads directory)

<on device>
USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P (directory)
maps (directory)
map_config.dat (file, name may be off abit)

basically, anything on the device that said "map"

Then, they had me bring up TomTom HOME. It looked for updates, and was seeing the need for a new USA/Canada/Mexico, and pulled it down. Installing now. I am told that all will be well when I am done with this.

FYI, I bought a TomTom Ease about 2 days ago. It was working great. It started to show a nag-screen saying something like "you should connect to your computer and update your map". I did that. I got the message "Problem with map. You cannot use this map on this device: North_America_2GB-161". I called customer service. They gave instructions for deleting a few things manually and then told me to re-download the 2GB update and it will work. I did that and it did not work. I called customer service back. They said it is a "global problem" and users are experiencing it everywhere on Earth with the latest map update. They said all their engineers are working on it now. They said they plan to have a fix within about 24 hours. They said that I should call back tomorrow Aug-19 at about 10:00am (GMT-0500) and ask if the fix is ready. That was it. What miffs me (a little) is the fact that the TomTom Home app did not not tell me to backup my device before doing anything else-- that way, I think I could have restored it to the out-of-box condition and at least have it. I must say, the device (when it worked for all of 2 days) was really nice and easy and accurate and quick -- however -- as of now, it remains to be seen if they can get it done right or not. I am just posting this so others will know. I do not mean to bash the company because the tech seems really good except (of course) for this "softwtare glitch". HTH. Thank you. -- Mark Kamoski

Welcome to TTF!

It's ok to bash the company (I do it all the time! :eek: ). Just keep the language clean............;)

As with others, try again in 24 hours or so. Sounds as if it is a legitimate server issue on TT's side (trust me, NOT the first time something like this has happened .............. :mad: )

To be clear, I bought a brand new "lifetime traffic, lifetime map updates" model (XL335TM) a couple of days ago--we were on a road trip and my old GPS unit kicked the bucket;
Ah - your old unit didn't happen to be a TomTom, did it? If so, you will need to set up a separate account with a new email address (can even be a bogus one, doesn't matter) for the new unit in order to keep things straight at TomTom.

In any case, I'd give them the 24 hours.

I am told that all will be well when I am done with this.
Let us know, since if this works for you, it sounds like they have their certificate/key problem resolved already.

Ha, so I'll never know whether my TomTom is fixed because they patched their map, or I changed PC to one with a wired connection.

Still, its working again, so its all good :cool:

I have both a TomTom XL 335TM and a XL 340TM LIVE unit. I was able to update both to the latest 850 maps without a single problem. I live in the USA.

Ask a Question