Tomtom and Google

Google and Tomtom

http://maps.google.com has a new feature in that when you look for directions, you can change the route by dragging it around.

Basicaly you can make an iternerary. This you can now turn into a file you can use on your Tomtom. It has the advantage of ease of use, without the need of additional software.

http://houghi.org/tomtom/

The code is available, so you can integrate it in your own site. I hope that Google does this soon as well.

Google maps has a new feature in that you can drag around your route, basicaly turning it into a iternerary. The URL can be turned into a itn file and I have place dthat ability on my site:

http://houghi.org/tomtom/

The code can be downloaded and placed on any site. Just hoping that Google will do this for us very soon. That way you can do this from any computer. Ideal when you are on the road and can only borrow somebody elses computer.

I tried it out, but when I put it into tomtom, it shows all the locations as not existing on my map :(. So i cant use it

Can you post a sample URL

Please post a URL you have made. Just paste the URL here so I can look what happend or where the error is/was.

Unfortunatly I only have the Europe map, so if it is outside the map I can not check it very well.

Google is doing some great stuff. I knew about the dragging of the route as that news hit everywhere on the net but I didn't know about right clicking on the map nor adding a destination and rearanging the directions...so cool.

Thanks for making that code to change the url to itn. Nice job.

its in ireland.

This is the link

using 6.75 maps or 6.60 maps.

ive added a screenshot to show what happens

Attachments

• Screenshot26-7.8.2007.jpg
    Screenshot26-7.8.2007.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 583
I tried it out, but when I put it into tomtom, it shows all the locations as not existing on my map :(. So i cant use it

I checked a Google to TomTom itinerary against the same itinerary created on the TT, and found that your script left off the leading minus sign on the longitude numbers (I'm in North America). When I added the minus sign the Google itinerary worked fine.

Bill

I checked a Google to TomTom itinerary against the same itinerary created on the TT, and found that your script left off the leading minus sign on the longitude numbers (I'm in North America). When I added the minus sign the Google itinerary worked fine.

Bill

I tried adding a - before each line of the resulting .itn file, and youre right. That fixes it. So once that is fixed on the script, its gonna be a great thing to use. Very handy to be able to use google maps before a trip and just be able to upload it to tomtom.
thanks for the script, and thanks for the tip

Correction of the script

OK. Good to know. I will see that I can repair it somewhere this week (unless somebody else has a look at it)

Thanks for the tip and the script. This is GREAT. I wish I had found this before I spent numerous hours building an itinerary for a two week trip in and around Seattle. It would have made life much easier. Thanks again.

All online

Sorry to be late with feedback, but it is now online and working for all of the Tomtom maps.

Just use it or put it on your site or whatever you like to do with it.

Hey, this is great, but for us new users, there's one piece of information missing -- how do you get the .itn file into the TomTom?

Thanks!

I keep getting this Error: Parameter 'saddr' not specified
Does anyone know what this means? I'm pretty sure it means street address. So I tried with and without a street address but it's still happening.
Thanks,
Eric

Last edited:
...and you both followed the instructions, accurately?

...including the part that said to zoom in and move the start point a bit, then move it back? ...and do the same with the destination point?

if it can't find saddr (probably start address), I'd guess you forgot this step.

I've tried this multiple times.. cannot get it to work...

Here's the link I am pasting to the website:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...49776&sspn=0.22588,0.539017&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

It keeps saying that there are no coordinates provided for whichever address I have first. I see that there are only coordinates for the last address, but this is what Google is providing...

If you examine the URL you posted, you'll see that you omitted the step I mentioned above: there are no coordinates for the start address, just the address. If you move the starting point, ever so slightly (and then, even, move it back!) the google application will add in latitude and longitude for the starting point. This is necessary for houghi's application to work properly in building an ITN file for your TomTom.

Here's your modified google map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...8568&sspn=0.009476,0.017316&ie=UTF8&z=16&om=1

Ask a Question