TomTom 910 questions

I've been planning on getting a TomTom 510 or 910 because I'd like a GPS receiver for my car, but also because I'd like an easy way to control my iPod. Then when I read about the 20 GB drive in the 910, I thought maybe I could cut out the middleman and just use the 910 for my car audio. Here are the questions I have about using the 910 as an iPod replacement:

How does the TomTom software compare to iTunes for synchronizing the 910 with an audio library on my computer?

Is there any way to do podcasts using the TomTom software?

Is there any way to hack the 910 to install a larger hard drive?

Thanks much!

How does the TomTom software compare to iTunes for synchronizing the 910 with an audio library on my computer?

Another excellent question might be, "How does the iPod compare to the TomTom in route planning and navigation?"

EmptyH said:

...another might be, "Can I download updated/corrected maps to my iPod?"

EmptyH said:

Ah.. okay, a real question. ;)

I've never tried this hack (I own a 510, not a 910, so my unit doesn't have a hard drive), but I wouldn't be surprised to learn someone, somewhere has done this. I believe the drive is a standardized size, so it's just a matter of getting one installed, formatted, and the ttsystem loaded on it... but, as I'm sure others will point out, this warranty-voiding action is left as an exercise for the individual.

Another excellent question might be, "How does the iPod compare to the TomTom in route planning and navigation?"

...another might be, "Can I download updated/corrected maps to my iPod?"

If I didn't have either of these devices, those would be great questions. But since I already have an iPod, I'm curious if I can use the TomTom to replace it or just augment it (with the touch-screen controls).

I wouldn't be surprised to learn someone, somewhere has done this. I believe the drive is a standardized size, so it's just a matter of getting one installed, formatted, and the ttsystem loaded on it... but, as I'm sure others will point out, this warranty-voiding action is left as an exercise for the individual.

I figure somebody HAS to have done that, but I'm having trouble finding instructions on how to do it. I'm OK voiding the warranty as long as I find that the hack isn't terribly complicated and that many people have done it successfully without trouble.

Thanks.

A1: (b) augment it with touch-screen controls.

A2: I could have sworn I saw, when searching Google {tm} for background on the TT GO 510 (and, consequently, finding this forum within the mix) that I happened across a couple sites that had detailed images of dismantled TomTom GO x10 units -- and one of them specifically mentioned upgrading the HD. Sorry I didn't pay much attention to those pages, as I already knew I was getting a 510 (which has an SD slot instead of an HD).

I've been planning on getting a TomTom 510 or 910 because I'd like a GPS receiver for my car, but also because I'd like an easy way to control my iPod. Then when I read about the 20 GB drive in the 910, I thought maybe I could cut out the middleman and just use the 910 for my car audio. Here are the questions I have about using the 910 as an iPod replacement:

Thanks much!

You can use Itunes to manage the tom tom. All files need to be mp3 but Itunes can convert the files to mp3

I figure somebody HAS to have done that, but I'm having trouble finding instructions on how to do it. I'm OK voiding the warranty as long as I find that the hack isn't terribly complicated and that many people have done it successfully without trouble.

Thanks.

I've not upgraded my hard disk but I've written a dismantling guide for other reasons https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=5589&highlight=dismantling.

I think it should be no problem. Maybe it would be a good idea of formatting the bigger hard disk via a PC before attching it to the unit. This is only in relation to posts regardarding use of 4 or 8 GB SD cards.

I too have seen sites that show tt's dismantled but remember that if you need to your warranty there may be an issue.
I use the ipod and the tt. I have no problem except for songs I bought from apple and are not in mp3 format. The audio is comparable and it does save running an extra cable.

Ask a Question