TomTom 910 frozen

I connected my 910 to TomTom home to install updates. It found an update, version 6.25. I installed it and then reconnected to TomTom home. It then found another update, version 7. I installed the upgrade from TomTom home but now my 910 is frozen. The touch screen is frozen. All I see is the start up screen that shows that TomTom device but will not go further. I have tried to connect it back to TomTom home to get a backup, but it does not recognize that the device is connected to the cradle. I cannot switch the device off. I have tried to restart it with a paperclip but still no luck. It has frozen. Please help

I had this problem when I first got my GO 910. There's a good post on the TomTom 910 setup posted by Guttboy. https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=2046&highlight=TomTom+910+setup

If you followed that advice (or the Quick Start "manual") you will have made an initial backup of your unit to a PC and can reload the initial settings.

When I have had the condition you described, I was able to use a paperclip to trip the reset button underneath the unit. The picture on page 4 of the Quick Start guide points to the location. I had to use a flashlight to actually see the hole. I straightened a paper clip, pushed it in and the unit shut down.

Also, when you are connected to a PC, you need to use the HOME program to disconnect the unit. However, do not immmediately pull the USB plug. Exit the HOME program on your PC. Only when that is completely off the screen should you disconnect the cable.

I hope the above is of some help. If not, post back and one of the heavy hitters will almost certainly provide more complete advice.

Good luck

Thanks for the reply. When I first got my tomtom, I did not make a backup copy. I was too excited to use it. Yes, I am paying for that now. lol. I tried all the resets with the paperclips before I posted the help thread, the unit does switch off but when I switch it back on. It still freezes in the same screen. I cannot connect it anywhere due to the unit being frozen.

When I helped Guttboy out, I had told them after each update you must remove your device from the computer and let your unit run the new firmwire, then reconnect to your computer and install the newest firmwire.

Have you tried to do a pin reset?

I called TomTom support a 10 times. Finally got a resolution. TomTom support were not sure why this happens. It only happens when I install the new version 7. My device sat for hours after disconnecting it, still same frozen screen. They told me to go to tomtom.com/4987 . this is an older update that would revive my 910. After the download, it worked and then I updated to 6.25 version. I have decided to stay away from version 7. could it be possible that I need to purchase the new maps, 6.75 to run version 7 first. Currently I am running map version 6.65. Please let me know if anyone has been successful in installing version 7 with 6.65 maps.

thanks for all your help.

Ask a Question