Tomtom 6000

TomTom Model(s)
G6000
Is the new Tom Tom worth buying or Is it worth waiting for any more to come on sale I heard mixed reviews on this such as no blue tooth and no places of interest will there be software updates for anything to improve the new g6000

Check back here since one of our mods, Andy_P, has had a chance to use some Nav 4 models. None of us in North America have seen them, let a lone use them.

The new models have SO much potential, but are so lacking in features I can't recommend them yet.

You either love or hate the new "look and feel" - personally I hate it, but am slowly getting used to it. It just looks so dull and there is so much wasted space on screen, while the info I want to see is crushed into a tiny space.

The speed of route calculation is awesome, and screen refresh is very good too.

The "search" feature is supposed to find both places/addresses AND the sorts of thing we are used to using POIs for. I've been surprised by some of the things it HAS found, but horrified by some of the things it hasn't (some main line railway stations for example!)

But mainly I miss so many of features we have grown used to, and am still finding more that are missing.

No user POIs,
No built in POIs
No Advance planning - you can't create a route from ANYYWHERE except your current location.
No way to avoid part of a route.
No way (that I've found) to add a waypoint from your previous destinations or "My places"
No easy way to get a route overview and zoom in on it.
No setting to "ask" if you want to use a toll road, only a global "use" or "don't use"

There's loads more....
Even getting it to "take me home" is now twice as many screen taps as it was before, and needs fairly precise tapping on a small icon too.

No user POIs,
No Advance planning - you can't create a route from ANYYWHERE except your current location.
Hopefully they'll iron that out by the time it gets to North America as I would definitely consider those to be deal breakers.

The new models have SO much potential, but are so lacking in features I can't recommend them yet.

You either love or hate the new "look and feel" - personally I hate it, but am slowly getting used to it. It just looks so dull and there is so much wasted space on screen, while the info I want to see is crushed into a tiny space.
It seems to be the trend these days, though I can't imagine why. The Android application feels exactly the same way to me.

Ask a Question