New Tomtom 600/6000 Models

TomTom Model(s)
Go 940
Hi There

I am thinking of upgrading my 940 Go live model for either the new 600 or 6000 model. One is Smartphone connected for Traffic updates and the other is Always Connected.

My Question is which of these two models has the best survival rate, with what is known about the way the future technology is heading.

Would be interested in any ideas.

Thanks.

Tomtom seems to have a fascination with using old/obsolete hardware, so your question is quite interesting.

The "smartphone connected" models use bluetooth to connect to a smartphone. A bluetooth data connection was rarely used in the industry, and almost never used since 2011 when everyone moved to wifi data. So there is a very good chance that smartphones will no longer support this technology in 1-2 years.

"Always connected" models use their own built-in modem. Tomtom has not yet announced what hardware they will used for this modem, but historically Tomtom has used 2002-era hardware in all their prior "always connected" models like the GO940. Cellphone carriers are in the process of discontinuing support for this 2002-era hardware. In the US, this de-commisioning has been well on its way. No new cellsites were built to support this hardware for the past couple years, and nationwide shutoff has been announced for 2017. In the Europe, numerous outages of Tomtom connected models continue to be reported, likely due to rolling shutdowns as well.

So I would say both technologies are likely to die an early death, and have no real near-term future. The only chance of usage of either device for more than a couple years is if Tomtom installs a newer modem in the "always connected" model.

Time will tell, but if I were to recommend a solution: buy a Tomtom app for your iOS or Android smartphone. Those are likely to have much longer support periods because both platforms allow you to transfer the app for free when you upgrade to a newer phone, so they are not hardware dependent.

I find it very unlikely that TomTom would employ 2G service in the 6000. They are fully aware of AT&T's drop-dead date for 2G service, and the fact that some 2G service spectrum has already been diverted to other purposes.

As to Bluetooth -- it will continue to be a matter of what other profiles remain in 'current' use as to how this plays out. As long as any BT profile remains popular, the requisite hardware will remain, and there is no real point in removing the stacks for PAN. If anything, profile count has been on the increase for Android over the years.

Not sure what would make anyone think that bluetooth is a dead technology. Most high end factory installed car stereo systems use bluetooth to share a smartphone's internet connection. There are none that use wifi except in luxury cars that have a built-in wifi router. Bluetooth is the only way to get around paying an extra fee for tethering. I'm not sure where "mvl" is from, but here in the USA nearly every cell phone company charges extra for wifi tethering on a smartphone and they will block you from using the feature if you don't pay up. Some carriers such as Verizon hide this tethering fee with their Shared Everything plans but rest assured you are still getting charged extra. This is not the case with bluetooth internet sharing as demonstrated with Garmin's newer GPS units. Both TomTom and Garmin have had numerous data outages with their so-called connected GPS units that had a built-in modem. This isn't just from carriers decommissioning 2G cell phone towers. These outages have occurred from the beginning. By all means buy the bluetooth version of the new TomTom GPS units. Don't waste your money on the always connected ones with a built-in modem.

A couple of points:

- the 6000 release in Europe has been confirmed to be using the 2002-era GPRS technology. Tomtom has used GPRS on all their LIVE products, and this is unfortunately continuing. GPRS is horribly inefficient with data spectrum (think 9600-baud dial-up modem vs DSL on the same phone line). So at the slightest amount of congestion, carriers shut GPRS down, as one disabled GPRS customer frees up space for tons of 4G customers. So GPRS tends to fail during congestion (eg: large traffic jam) just when customers need it most.

- AT&T has committed to Tomtom that they will not do this congestion-based shutdown on existing GPRS towers in the USA, however, they have not built new GPRS towers for the past couple years and will never build another one. So when the old GPRS tower in a neighborhood is full, a Tomtom can't use the 3 shiny new 4G towers right next to it. Furthermore, AT&T has announced a full GPRS shutdown in 2017.

- Tomtom and AT&T have been doing substantial drive testing diagnosing all of the 2011/2012 outages. It turns out that much of it was due to bad software/tuning on Tomtom's PNDs and servers. Tomtom corrected this in late 2012, and their connected devices in the USA have been much more reliable since.

- Regarding bluetooth data, my understanding is that many of the car radios use custom apps on the smartphone that use bluetooth to relay signals to radio software. This is the same tactic employed by Garmin on their latest round of connected devices. Often, this approach prevents the carriers from requiring hotspot-addons to a customer's account in the USA. On the other hand, Tomtom uses a standard-but-rarely-used Bluetooth PAN protocol. This protocol requires no phone app to be installed, but often requires the purchase of a hotspot-addon plan for a phone carrier to permit its use.

It sounds like the best solution is to use a smartphone along with the TomTom GPS app. The problem is most phones can't withstand excessive amounts of heat unlike most standalone GPS units. The LG Nexus 4 is a prime example of this. In Portland, Oregon when the outside temps get above 70 degrees my Nexus 4 phone not only stops charging when mounted in my car's windshield. Shortly after it stops charging the phone displays a message that it's shutting down. I should note that my phone is running bone stock Android 4.2.2, no modifications. Most other smartphones in the same conditions will at least stop charging but not shut down. On a long trip your phone will likely be out of battery power well before you reach your destination. I'm wondering if one of the powered Proclip vehicle mounts would solve this problem since the phone is typically not mounted in the windshield or on the dash in most vehicles but I don't have my hopes up.

One other note, my Nexus 4 phone only has the shutdown problem when the GPS is active. Otherwise if the phone is on with the screen off it has no problems charging.

TT has confirmed that it's using the 2002-era GPRS for the European always-connected models, nothing announced for North America yet. Only the smartphone-connected edition has passed the FCC so far, so I'm not sure an always-connected edition will ever show up.

I use a vent-mount for my Galaxy S3, which unintentionally means it gets direct air conditioning and is freezing cold on hot days. It has never failed to charge because of this.

I'm amazed!!! honestly, this new Tomtom 6000 is garbage. you cant add POI's so if you're a regular user you will have compiled a vast database of customers which are now redundant and you have to start all over again. plus - I travel in Ireland a lot and the new interface doesn't allow the manual input of GPs coordinates..... I got rid of my Tomtom and got a Garmin 3598 LMT..... Garmin have their own set of issues but these are just niggly, Tomtom have shot themselves in the foot with this one... deeply disappointed... been a tomtom fan for a very long time..... seriously Tomtom 6000 reviews need to be done by people that actually use them on a day to day rather than admire them from the packet..... anyone else had this issue?

Sure have. It's missing SO many features, it can only possibly appeal to a very basic user or someone who has never had a TomTom before and don't know what they are missing.

Since about 2008, Tomtom seemed to think completing a product is far lower priority than launching during a specific date.

Product after product was launched in an almost useless state. The GO1000 upon launch was just as crippled/useless as the current GO600/6000 is, and Tomtom over the next 3 years turned the GO1000 into a very good product via software updates. Same thing happened with the Tomtom app for iOS.

I can only hope/assume that the same thing will happen with the GO 600/6000, but you're better off buying a used GO1000 now that is full featured, and then selling it and buying a GO600/6000 a couple years from now when all the features are built. It will be much cheaper then too.

I can only agree the other reviews, on the subject of the GO 6000 it is truly rubbish. I am in constant email contact with a member of the TOM TOM help team, and they have just admitted to me that there are a number of problems with the Go 6000. I regret buying it now. And as other users have suggested go for something that is tried and trusted. It didn't even have Latitude and Longitude on it when I first got it!! that came with one of a dozen new downloads, and I have only had the thing a couple of months.DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS ITEM

I'm amazed!!! honestly, this new Tomtom 6000 is garbage. you cant add POI's so if you're a regular user you will have compiled a vast database of customers which are now redundant and you have to start all over again. plus - I travel in Ireland a lot and the new interface doesn't allow the manual input of GPs coordinates..... I got rid of my Tomtom and got a Garmin 3598 LMT..... Garmin have their own set of issues but these are just niggly, Tomtom have shot themselves in the foot with this one... deeply disappointed... been a tomtom fan for a very long time..... seriously Tomtom 6000 reviews need to be done by people that actually use them on a day to day rather than admire them from the packet..... anyone else had this issue?
a new driver. I thought such a wellknown name I would be buying the best. Not so. This is the worse heap of junk I h
Hi There

I am thinking of upgrading my 940 Go live model for either the new 600 or 6000 model. One is Smartphone connected for Traffic updates and the other is Always Connected.

My Question is which of these two models has the best survival rate, with what is known about the way the future technology is heading.

Would be interested in any ideas.

Thanks.
I was stupid enough to buy 2 of these Tomtom GO 600s, one for my daughter who is a new driver. I have had several gps. The maps, which I believe are sensis, have sent me suburbs away from my correct destination several times. Map updates wont work because the errors were basically in older suburbs of Melbourne, Victoria. On one occasion I put in 256 Canterbury Rd., Canterbury and it sent me to FOREST HILL, suburbs away, probably 12km. So embarrassing. Just for fun when I was in Greensborough (and knew the way) I requested the route to High Street, Northcote. It wanted me to go totally in the opposite direction to HURSTVILLE! They are going in the bin even though they are only 6 months old, because obviously the maps are majorly unreliable. This is terrible for a new driver like my daughter, even though I told her never to trust any gps, they are only a tool. I now have a cheap Chinese one for $84 and it beats the socks off Tomtom. And has an air vent mount as well, which I think should be obligatory as a safety feature.

I wouldn't say its the map problem, because the map data for the old devices and new devices should be the same (except for the 3D map data) as long as the version is the same
I would say the problem is with the new method of address input.
Instead of asking you for the city first, it ask for the street address and search for the entire map
(Yes there is a option for search within a city, but you have to press a few buttons to do that)
When a street is across multiple cities, sometimes it gives you the wrong place

Ask a Question