Tom Tom Start2 & USA Maps

Hello again!!

Sorry to be posting again but I'm very new and confused lol!

So in an earlier thread I mentioned I'm going to the USA and my Tom Tom One won't be able to handle the USA map.

I've decided to get the Start2 with 2gb memory.

My question is will this be able to store the USA and the UK & ROI maps with ease??

Is it better to go with a Tom Tom with an SD slot? (Which I'd prefer not to as its a lot more money!)

Thanks!!!

USA shows as 1536 mb. UK&ROI as 228.3 mb.

Since 2 gb is really closer to something like 1950 available, the sum of the two maps = 1765 mb.

That would leave slightly less than 200 mb for all the rest of the necessary file, such as the application itself, voices, etc.

It would be a VERY tight squeeze. And an expensive lesson learned if you run into the lack of space issue.

Mind you, you can always off-load the UK map to the computer before loading the US map. That should solve any space issues.

Thats a good idea! I think I may do that.

The higher up you go for memory the more expensive the Tom Tom gets obviously and the Start2 is as far as I can stretch.

Is it fairly east to unload the UK & ROI map? Does this run the risk of losing the map at all? Silly questions I know but I've never had to do any of this before.

Perhaps its a better idea to buy a Tom Tom from the states from Best Buy or similar?

Bah humbug. Its all so confusing! I'd much rather be prepared with a map. I've also heard something about TT etc? Is the USA map fully compatible on a Tom Tom purchased from the UK and will it work fine in the states?

Thanks so much for all your help.

Yes, it will work on your unit.

To move your UK map to the computer, you use Windows Explorer to copy the UK map folder to the computer and once you are SURE it is on the computer, delete it from the unit.

Then purchase the US map and install it on the unit. When you return from the US, reverse the process, copy the US map to the computer, remove from the unit and copy back the UK map from the computer to the unit.

I suggest using Explorer for all the above, not Home. I don't trust Home to do the job properly.

Hello again!!

Sorry to be posting again but I'm very new and confused lol!

So in an earlier thread I mentioned I'm going to the USA and my Tom Tom One won't be able to handle the USA map.

I've decided to get the Start2 with 2gb memory.

My question is will this be able to store the USA and the UK & ROI maps with ease??

Is it better to go with a Tom Tom with an SD slot? (Which I'd prefer not to as its a lot more money!)

Thanks!!!

Why not look for an older Tom Tom on ebay. I am selling one with the Maps of GB, USA/Canada and Italy. That way if you loose it in america it is not as big a loss as a new one.

Tom Tom One Sat Nav v1, Maps of GB, USA/Canada & Italy! | eBay UK

Not trying to advertise my product but thought it made sense!!

FWIW, just had a friend successfully add UK/ROI to his US/CAN/MEX maps for a trip to Ireland. He's got a 340 which is also fitted with 2GB internal memory. If I remember correctly, all he pared out of it were unused voices. He said it was a squeak, but had no problems.

Ask a Question