Tom Tom one V2 not working/crashed

Dear all,

I have a Tom Tom One V2 and have had it for four years and it has been fine...until two days ago.

My TomTom was connected to my PC by USB cable, the computer crashed and I suspect it did something to my TOMTOM which now does not work.

I hold down the power button and it just hangs on the startip screen. Or I manage to gfet to the point where I can type in a destination but shortly afterwards it just crashes and I can't use it. I tried resetting it but now the computer and the TomTom cannot read or recognise the SD card.

I have to had to re-install Windows on my PC as the crash did something to the registry. The PC seems to work fine now.

I thought I had fixed it this morning but in the car I was charging but the Tom Tom said that it was not charging then the screen went off.

What can I do?

Is it the SD card or would it be something physical part of the TomTom.

I was thinking of formatting the SD card and then downloading the latest maps and speed cameras from tomtom but there is no guarantee that it will work after that.

If it comes down to it I am prepared to buy a new one but I cannot afford it.

any ideas most welcome

Well, for starters, try resetting the unit (again) by holding the power button until you hear the drum beat. (unless your model has a dedicated reset hole).

If that doesn't herlp, try running the ClearFlash tool found here:
Clear Flash tool

And run it 3 times.

If still no success, when it does connect to the computer, make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. When you are SURE the backup is on the computer, then delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.

Connect to Home and you should be offered a new application. Install, disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon and see if it's any better.

also verify if this is an issue with charging the device. i.e. it might be shutting itself down because it lacks the charge. You could verify this by keeping it charged via usb while you try to use it.

I would also connect to TomTom HOME to see whether it has any updates waiting to be downloaded.

a quick update:

i have connected the tomtom to the computer via usb cable and the power light on top of the tom tom comes on. however i turn it on and it just freezes on the startup screen and tomtom home does not recognize it, neither does my PC and Macintosh. #

It shows up on my PC as TomTom but it does not mount the disk, it just asks if I wish to format it.

i am going to try the clear flash tool.

i was thinking of formatting the card and then downloading new mpas and safety cameras. i will have to pay for them. will that be a fix or shal i go out and buy a new tomtom?

ok. here is what i have done.

the reset option does not work.
i have turned the device off, removed the sd card, pressed the reset button for 15 seconds. turned the unit on then inserted the sd card.
no change. it still freezes.

i have tried the clear flash tool
it does not like the fact that it cannot read the sd card.
so no change. it still freezes.

i can see the tomtom drive in device manager and it is enabled , but i cannot click on it or open it in explorer to see the files. i just get asked if i want to format the sd card.

any ideas?

i presume that this is a sd card problem and not a TomTom problem ie the main unit.

can i format the sd card and just download a new map and safety camers from tomtom home?

that sounds like the only option left to me.

I would call TomTom customer care for this one, since we haven't seen many other suggestions from our friends on the forum. Do let us know when this is resolved.

It sounds very much like the memory card has died, do you have a spare blank SD card thats got between 256MB and 2GB capacity available to try this with?

Download the following link Navcore

Pop the black memory card in to your computers reader slot then extract/ unzip the downloaded file straight to the memory card, when its finished simply pop the card back in to the TomTom.

Switch the TomTom on and if/ when it boots up you should be presented with a screen saying "No Maps Found" at this point you can decide on purchasing a new map using TomTom Home or scrapping the device. If it hangs again and you don't get the message about no maps found the device is dead.

If you want to phone TomTom the UK support number is 0845 161 0009 but I don't think it's worth bothering as its an old device well outside the warranty period - Mike

resolution

hello mike,

I have got it all working now, wihtout having to buy any new maps.!

i formatted the memory card and ran tomtom home.
Tom Tom home recognised it was a blank card and installed the tomtom application AND it also installed my previous maps and safety cameras which i had bought. it appears to be all working fine now. i have had it on for hours yesterday and no problem.

The TomTom Home program must remember maps, safety cameras etc that are linked to your account.

i have lost my favourites, downloaded voices and POI's but that is a minor thing i can live with.

first thing i did this morning was to back eveything up to computer.

thank you for all your help. i hope this helps someone in the future.

The TomTom Home program must remember maps, safety cameras etc that are linked to your account.
If you had ever previously purchased a new map, or any kind of map update, those will have been stored on your PC and Home would see them. If you use Home to Manage My Device, you'll see what items are stored on your computer.

Ask a Question