Tom Tom One 2nd Edition won't connect using home.

Apologies in advance for the noob question. I have searched but can't find an answer.

I inherited a TT1 without any documentation. The unit works great. However I plan on updating it with newer maps and software along with some voices etc.

With that in mind I decided to do a backup.

I downloaded the latest version of Home from Tom Tom site.

I followed the instructions to load the software, everything loads. When I plug the USB cable to the TT the Home application launches automatically and I am asked whether I want to connect . So I punch Yes and it seems to be working.

The applications come up but if I try to use any of them it appears that it doesn't see the Tom Tom.:confused:

I am thinking I am missing something, I have tried 2 different computers along with different USB cables.

What am I missing?

Apologies in advance for the noob question. I have searched but can't find an answer.

I inherited a TT1 without any documentation. The unit works great. However I plan on updating it with newer maps and software along with some voices etc.

With that in mind I decided to do a backup.

I downloaded the latest version of Home from Tom Tom site.

I followed the instructions to load the software, everything loads. When I plug the USB cable to the TT the Home application launches automatically and I am asked whether I want to connect . So I punch Yes and it seems to be working.

The applications come up but if I try to use any of them it appears that it doesn't see the Tom Tom.:confused:

I am thinking I am missing something, I have tried 2 different computers along with different USB cables.

What am I missing?

Have you set up an account with tomtom.com?

Have you set up an account with tomtom.com?

Yes with a login and a password.

I have broadband internet, I have noticed sometimes the Tom Tom site is somewhat slow.

If the connection was poor would this cause Home to fail? Does the Tom Tom need to be validated for the Home software to work.

You certainly are the master of understatement. ;)

Well I figured I would wait a few days before I start whining:D

Any ideas?

Doesn't seem to matter whether I am logged in or not. It says "connect your Tom Tom Device to your computer."

The device menu is "greyed out"

What exactly do you mean by this? It may be the answer to your problem...

Well it came with nothing except the Tom Tom, mount ,case and car charger. It had a Tom Tom original 1GB SD card ( with US maps loaded).

I downloaded the manual from Tom Tom, along with Home.

I don't have the DVD, is there an additional device driver to be loaded from that.

I might be wrong but I believe that your inherited TT is tied to the previous owners Login Account. So unless TT customer Service takes pity on you you are stuck with the current settings and maps.

I had the exact same problem. My wife got a ONE 2nd Ed. from work and it had old software and maps. I tried to download TomTom Home off their website and it would not recognize the TomTom. I used the version of TomTom Home that came on the CD and it recognized it just fine. Once I updated the software I was then able to use the latest version of TomTom Home from their website. I would call their support line and tell them you need an older version of TomTom Home in order to access your device since the software is so old. BTW, when I called about this problem I ended up having to figure it out myself. When I told them how I fixed it the person seemed surprised that the new version of Home did not work with the older application on my ONE.

I had the exact same problem. My wife got a ONE 2nd Ed. from work and it had old software and maps. I tried to download TomTom Home off their website and it would not recognize the TomTom. I used the version of TomTom Home that came on the CD and it recognized it just fine. Once I updated the software I was then able to use the latest version of TomTom Home from their website. I would call their support line and tell them you need an older version of TomTom Home in order to access your device since the software is so old. BTW, when I called about this problem I ended up having to figure it out myself. When I told them how I fixed it the person seemed surprised that the new version of Home did not work with the older application on my ONE.

Is the Home program device specific?

There are a couple of other older Tom Toms in my office. Maybe one of my co-workers have an older copy of Home I can try.

OK thanks.

I will try that.

The device is specific to the account that the previous owner opened using HOME. If you can, get the e-mail address and password from the previous owner, and log-in using that. Once you're in, I believe that you could change the e-mail address and password to yours. That should work.

" I had the exact same problem. My wife got a ONE 2nd Ed. from work and it had old software and maps. I tried to download TomTom Home off their website and it would not recognize the TomTom. I used the version of TomTom Home that came on the CD and it recognized it just fine. Once I updated the software I was then able to use the latest version of TomTom Home from their website. I would call their support line and tell them you need an older version of TomTom Home in order to access your device since the software is so old. BTW, when I called about this problem I ended up having to figure it out myself. When I told them how I fixed it the person seemed surprised that the new version of Home did not work with the older application on my ONE."

Is the Home program device specific?

There are a couple of other older Tom Toms in my office. Maybe one of my co-workers have an older copy of Home I can try.

An older version of TomTom Home did the trick.

I borrowed a CD off of a co-worker. This was Home 1.1, with that version loaded the TomTom was recognized by the computer. This then updated itself to 1.6 which then updated the TomTom to 7.162 which is the latest.

I then reloaded the current version of Home ( 2.2.1.58) and the TomTom was recognized and I was able to backup the unit.

Complicated.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Ask a Question