Tom Tom 125

Received Tom tom One 125 yesterday for Xmas

Never had a GPS before. Does this model have access to updated maps,
Read a customer review on a store site that informed me maps on 125 were from 2005 and not upgradable.

Went to Tom Tom website and did not find any info on 125. And customer service is closed today.

Should I return this unit ? and upgrade ???

Understand that 125 doesn't speak street names, is this a major hindurance???

Comments.....

Welcome!
All new units have a 30 day window for a map upgrade. The best way to obtain that is to contact TT Support. If they are closed, then you will have to contact them on Monday.

Upgrading the unit depends on the user if they would like the extra bells and whistles. Not having text to speech is not a big thing but a really nice feature to have. If you do end up upgrading the unit, the 720 model is a good way to go.

I got a One 125 for Christmas as well, as my first GPS. There were two things I was interested in that it didn't have - a wide screen and text-to-speech capability (which allows the device to announce street names when giving directions). I exchanged it for an XL 330S, which has both of those features and traffic capability (with an optional add-on receiver) but not much else. It's great, and I'm not going to exchange again, but it would be nice to have a memory card slot; the maps can be huge, and 1GB of memory turns out to be not much. There are lots of other bells and whistles on the higher-priced devices (bluetooth would be nice, too), but I'm not prepared to spend that kind of money at the moment.

The text-to-speech thing is a nice feature, but not really essential in my opinion; the name of the street to turn on next is displayed on the screen. I definitely like the bigger screen, though. My wife bought me the 125 on sale for USD $100, and the XL 330S was $200.

As for documentation on the 125, use the manual available online for the 130 - it's essentially the same device, but it comes with the USA and Canada map instead of just the USA as the 125 does.

You're eligible for a free upgrade to the latest map within the first 30 days. With the 125, you'll get version 8.15 of the USA-only map. Updating the device did NOT get me the map upgrade, though; I had to select "Use Latest Map Guarantee" from the Tools menu. Be prepared for a LONG download; the new USA/Canada map took about 2.5 hours to download for me, on a broadband connection. It seems to me that TomTom could use some additional server/network capacity.

If you decide to upgrade, I think I would put a premium on a device with more memory and/or a memory card slot.

Good Luck,
Mark

Ask a Question