tomtom via 125 live any good?

I don't like the integrated mount on these models at all. Some people might like the way it is all kept together, but I think it's ugly, awkward to carry, and a REAL pain to put on the windscreen, because you have to reach round the unit (especially hard with a 5" screen model).

Talking of the screen, do you really need 5"? If you are happy with the screen size on the Go1000, the extra size just might feel a bit unwieldy.

I found the sound quality on the Via model I had was far inferior to the Go1000, but that might have been improved since.

Also, the screen is very different. Now you are used to the bright galss screen ofthe Go1000, you might find the Via screen rather dim.Also, do you use the multi-touch features of the Go's screen? you won't get those on the Via.
Having said that, I far prefer the old resistive screens for touch response.

Other then that, I don't think there is much difference between the two models.

To add to what Andy_P has stated, I would say that I do not like the integrated mount either. It works, and it's probably a good idea if you live or drive in places where you cannot leave the mount in the vehicle anyway (since it might attract burglars, who may damage your vehicle to gain access, even if there is no device there to steal). In such cases, it's pointless to have the magnetic mount, since it just makes it more fiddly to remove everything all the time.

I do like both devices, but I much prefer the GO 1000 or 2000 series (European and North American versions of the same device):

• Fantastic magnetic mount.
  • Much better speaker.
  • More responsive to commands in general.
  • The GO model seems to have faster LIVE signal acquisition and a more stable signal overall.
Others may prefer the lack of reflections on the matte surface of the resistive screen, but I find that I can control the reflections of the capacitive glass screen by aiming it so that I can see the reflection of my own eyes before starting out. It's a completely different tilt angle, but it does seem to work, and I get the benefit of the brilliance of the better screen.

Depending on the price difference, it may not be worth it to get the VIA instead of another GO, and you'll have two identical mounts that way as well, not to mention a spare cable to share if you have one of those connected to your computer already.

Ask a Question