Time of Day needs reset

TomTom Model(s)
Every time I turn on my Tomtom (GO 910) the current time is wrong. It seems to run 4x real time when powered off. I use my GPS every time I get in the car, not always for the directions but mostly to tell me my arrival time. It takes quite a few 'button' pushes to get to the screen to reset the clock and I'm getting annoyed by this. Do others have this problem? Am I not setting something correctly? :confused: Is it just my unit (it is only a week old)?

Don

Yes, I did have this problem. Try selecting sync instead of manually inputting the time. I notice my time would change when I would connect it to TT Home. Try to change the time using Home. Im not sure if you can go to that option using Home.

Had the same problem had to reset every time I turned 910 off. Also if I turn the unit off and fly to a new location the unit can not reaquire sattelites. I is sometimes three or four hours. Called support, sent in unit, they received it 19 Sept. Am unable to get an update from support. They just keep saying 10 to 15 days. When I finally get it back I am heading to Best Buy and see if they will give me my money back or trade for something that works.

Sorry to hear that. I know a few people had problems and did an exchange with a different unit. They reported afterwards, their second unit worked better and was what they were expecting.

what version is your 910?

I don't know what you mean - are there several versions of the 910? The serial number starts out V76226A00xxx. The software is 6.51. OK, I just checked the unit and it says Device AKVA8 ASFR6, App 6.510 (7590/060816) OS:1340, 61 MB RAM (free: 5.7 MB), GPS v1.21, Boot 4.31, Map: North_America v650.1073, Language: English US.

Try selecting sync instead of manually inputting the time.
I do sync it, but that sets the wrong hour and I have to correct it. The button presses are: Menu, Change preferences, Page, Page, Set Time, Done, Sync, <Hour up/down><...>, Done, Done. After using it just one week I know those by heart.

I think the program should keep the offset from UTC and reapply it when it gets the satellite GPS time. Then even if it can't keep good time when not locked to the satellites, it would correct itself properly when it sees the satellites again.

Don

Sorry for the confusion. I was refering to what firmwire do you have installed on your 910? You can check by pressing the GPS bars on the bottom right corner.

defaultgo910.jpg

The Next screen should tell you what version are you using, example 6.51. It will be displayed on the right side of the screen.

statussummary.jpg

Make sure your up to date with 6.51. Also, keep changing the time until it stays that way.

I am sorry to hear that you guys are having problems. I dont really have the time problems but yes it did go off once but somehow, it fixes itself as I am driving. As for the gps unit not able to pick up any satellites after a plane trip from what I have heard, you should reset the unit once you are away from the airport and be stationary for 1-2 mins and it should start picking up satellites. ;)

To reset the unit.

Turn the 910/510 so that you are viewing the back, lower opening of the unit.

910_reset.jpg

you should charge the unit for 1-2 hours prior to performing a reset.

• Inside the lower-left portion of the 910 there is a small, U-shaped area, this is where the reset hole is located.
  • Insert a small paperclip or pin into the reset hole.
  • You should feel the button inside depress and hear a slight 'click'.
  • If the unit does not start up after reset, hold down the power button for a full, 4 seconds.

Had the same problem had to reset every time I turned 910 off. Also if I turn the unit off and fly to a new location the unit can not reaquire sattelites. I is sometimes three or four hours. Called support, sent in unit, they received it 19 Sept. Am unable to get an update from support. They just keep saying 10 to 15 days. When I finally get it back I am heading to Best Buy and see if they will give me my money back or trade for something that works.

This is simply not acceptable. If I were you, I would've called support with an ultimatum when they were beyond the first 10-15 day estimate. If they cannot fix your GO910 in 10-15 days, then they need to send you a new one. I would call support again, and keep doing up the chain of command until you get a Fedex tracking number for your returned or replacement GO910.

I've worked on a Help/Support desk before at a company much larger than TomTom NA. Trust me, in these days of low unemployment (every moron in North America has a job), the support staff will often do the absolute minimum amount of work that they can get away with during their six-hour work shift (6 hours of "work", 1 hour of lunch, 30 minute morning smoke break, 30 minute afternoon smoke break). That may sound a little harsh, and may not be what actually goes on at TomTom, but I am finding myself having to expedite up the chain of command every single complaint or issue I have that should be easily handled by an entry level support person. It's usually not lack of knowledge, it's laziness and incompetence. Personally, I'd like to see unemployment figures rise, but I won't get too political here... ;)

Call 'em again, give them an ultimatum, get a GO910 back in your hands.

Ask a Question