Throw away Go 300?

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Go 300
I just discovered TT Home and plugged in my TT Go 300 running 5.44...BAM! suddenly it runs 6.5 and the map is STILL out of date. I'm gathering from what I read that MapShare doesn't run under 6.5, and as long as I've owned the TT, it seems like I'm waiting for an update on the Raleigh/RTP area that never arrives.

Should I just throw this away and get the newer ONE device? I like my Go.:confused:

man, don't throw your unit away if you like it. just upgrade the map. i would check first to see if the upgrades you are looking for are on the new maps. but if you really want to throw it away, throw it my way. i' make use of it.

i think the upgrade you received was the operating system. map share is on 6.75 maps and above.

maps update

I have app 6.520
GPS v1.21 Boot 4.86
US map v567.0

The TT Home application said that it automatically loads the newest maps. If not, then how do I know what the latest map is for 6.52? For that matter, how do I know what the latest nav app is? I thought Home was supposed to take care of all this.

well, my humble opinion about tomtom home and tomtom leaves a bit to be desired. but that aside, the latest map is version 710.1575. not sure about the latest app for the go 300. some one else may chime in and let you know. i think it was the application software that makes your tomtom work that got updated. which version of home are you using? that is up to version 2.1 or something like that now.

Hi Goofy.
Your TomTom is too old , I don't think you can get map upgrade for free anymore. I think you can buy V7 maps if you upgrade the software to Navcore 7, otherwise the latest you buy for it is 6.75 . Why don't you call TomTom support to see what they say.

where is the update?

I found this detail at http://www.yournav.com/content/n/378/NavCore_7_updates_for_TomTom_devices.html

it says:
Most recent NavCore-releases:
* GO 'Classic' : v7.163
* GO x00, GO x10 : v7.162
* GO x20(T) : v7.221
* ONE XL HD Traffic : v7.301
* Other ONE's : v7.162

6th December 2007
Meant for: 300/500/700/510/710/910 and all ONE-versions
NavCore-version: 7.162 (build 8492)

Comments: Minor update for 300/500/700/510/710/910 and ONE's. Contains only small bugfixes (e.g. for RDS/TMC), no new features.

I am trying to find this 7.162 update, but tomtom's site is a labyrinth! any ideas?

you didn't say which version of tthome you were using. tthome 2 should get you the latest update.

also, tthome 2 is much more user friendly than tthome 1.5 plus you can update your maps also, at a cost.

To run the latest maps, you need firmware v7.162.

What version of Home are you using? The latest is v2.1. Your older version of Home should propose the update automatically. You need the newer version to download the maps.

As was mentioned, there is no way you will get free maps with a unit this old. To be sure that the upgrade is worth the expense, could you give us an address that is missing on your old maps and that you hope will be on the new ones?

Back to your original question about throwing the unit away: with a TomTom One LE from BestBuy at $149, it may be worth considering. This way you will get the latest maps for free. But in addition, the unit is so slim it will slip in your pocket. And the screen is far better, less reflective and you can see it in bright sunlight pretty well. (I know what I'm talking about here, as I owned a Classic.) These are reasons that made me upgrade myself.

Last edited:
I just downloaded 2

Home 2.1.2.121, to be exact.

Is there any reason why I must suffer a 40 minute backup from inside home? any reason why I can't just take my flashcard and stick it into the computer and copy it in about 40 seconds?

you can take your card out of your tomtom and do a direct backup to your computer. but i wouldn't skip backing it up in case there is a problem with a corrupt file in the download process. you need something to go back too in case of a failure with the update process.

Thanx!!

I just got done backing up and I had to ask Home 2.1.2.121 to upgrade me, but it did put on the latest (I hope greatest)

App 7.162 OS:2327
GPSv.1.21 Boot 4.8600
US MAP v.567.0

I guess the map hasn't changed, but now I have the latest app. I'm going to see if I can just add the changes I need. mapshare should come with this right? Is mapshare a function of the map or the app?

map share is a function of the new maps and operating system. in other words, it takes the new operating system to make use of the map share function of the new maps. but the operating system will not provide map share to the out dated maps you are using. it is going to take the new maps to get the map share. map share is of limited functionality just so you understand. you can't add roads. you can block a road, change a name of a road, direction of travel on a road, and a couple of other functions. send updates and receive updates.

jimbo46 suggested the new one le at best buy for a $149. thats one way to go to get the latest of everything. the new maps were on sale on the uk website for about 1/2 price which would be the cheaper way to go if your unit is worth spending the money on in your opinion. i think the new maps are about $70 us dollars after the euro conversion. i purchased the usa_canada maps at $74 only to realize later that i could have gotten the north america maps for the same price.

maps...

I don't want to buy $70 worth of map when a new LE costs $150. A guy at work had the 510 and it's sitting in his closet now because he has the latest and greatest (I think a 9xx). Why can't I just copy his map onto my card?

well the problem is that you will never get it activated. the map has to be activated for your unit to work. your go will never even see the maps. it will come on but will say that their are no maps. it is how tomtom protects their software investment. a few have asked about getting illegal copies of maps working on their tomtom's, but no one here either knows or their not speaking of it. rightfully so though. that is piracy. if you want the updated maps you have to buy from tomtom. even buying some elses copy from them won't work.

Ask a Question